Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you weren't English What Nationality Would You Like to Be and Why?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Chinese? Are you completely mad?

They are incorrigibly rude, spit everywhere, pull the hairs on your European arms to see if they're real then laugh at you, reek of garlic, slurp every piece of food that's reached to them while keeping their faces 2mm from their food. They wear their pyjamas out in the street at 4pm, and finally they have absolutely no idea of what a "queue" constitutes.

most of your charges could be laid at most people round my way, in fairness, and very few of them are Chinese.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I've been to over 30 countries, the Chinese are simply awful.

The nicest people I've met are Aussies, Argentinians and Americans (in the States, but they travel poorly).

Try sitting on a bus for 6 hours with flob on every surface and 24 Chinese chain-smoking woodbines

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I've been to over 30 countries, the Chinese are simply awful.

The nicest people I've met are Aussies, Argentinians and Americans (in the States, but they travel poorly).

Try sitting on a bus for 6 hours with flob on every surface and 24 Chinese chain-smoking woodbines

you are indeed a well travelled man.

I have been to China myself on numerous occasions and it is quite easy to avoid 6 hour bus rides full of flob. But then I suppose, not as 'authentic'.

Wherever I have been, I have found the nicest people have always been the English. Don't push and shove, joke when things go wrong, don't panic and are not greedy or grabby.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Catalan isn't a nationality, nor is it a country. Would you prefer the France, Spain or Andorra on your passport?

It has its own language, its own flag (La Senyera), its own parliament (the Generalitat), its own national anthem (Els Segadors), its own football team and its own culture which is markedly different from the general 'Spanish culture'.

As far as I'm concerned (although officially this is sadly not the case) it is a country in its own right but within Spain, rather akin to how Wales and England are countries in their own right within the United Kingdom.

Hopefully, one day, full independence will be achieved.

Last edited:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
The English have still a decent reputation in countries that are not Greece or Spain. Israelis have a poor rep, but any I've met were very young and courteous. Chinese tourists abroad are reviled, especially in SE Asia. Extremely rude and jingoistic.

I spent some time in Tibet, that will cure anyone of any love of the Han Chinese. Kashgar and Urumqi were the same. As for "good food" try telling my arse that, I lost 12 pounds through vomiting and pissing rusty water out of it for almost 4 weeks out of my 10. Shanghai and the east is ok, but travel to the centre and west and "whitey" is more of a novelty there, hence mobile phone cameras thrust in your face while you're trying to eat, pulling of arm hair etc.

I'd still go back, sometimes it was fun telling them to "f*** off you ignorant little c#nt" in plain English when yet another one barged past you in a ticket line or supermarket. I started doing the same but had still 14 stone and 6 foot to throw around, they don't like it when Johnny Barbarian starts playing them at their own game.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What I don't understand is why Catalonia are not allowed to field their "national" football team in the same way Wales, Scotalnd and Norn Iron are. Or is it a case of they don't want to. They have a football federation and their own leagues, so how come they don't have FIFA/UEFA accrediation? Especially as they are such a proud "nation" you would have thought the players who currently play for Spain would be in favour of having Catalonia as a national team.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Unquestionably Brazilian.

Football, Samba and Women.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What I don't understand is why Catalonia are not allowed to field their "national" football team in the same way Wales, Scotalnd and Norn Iron are. Or is it a case of they don't want to. They have a football federation and their own leagues, so how come they don't have FIFA/UEFA accrediation? Especially as they are such a proud "nation" you would have thought the players who currently play for Spain would be in favour of having Catalonia as a national team.

I believe (and I may be wrong), that they don't have FIFA/UEFA accreditation because the Spanish FA won't permit it and there is some kind of veto system in place which means that and little more is sufficient for them to be denied entry. I know they have applied for it on multiple occasions and been turned down.

Over the years in exhibition matches, the Catalan side has fielded a number of top name players, makes you wonder how things might have been if they were granted official recognition. Any team which has, at various times, boasted Carles Puyol, Xavi, Pep Guardiola, Victor Valdes, Sergi Busquets, Bojan Krkic, Gerard Pique, Andres Iniesta, Raul Tamudo, Pepe Reina and Cesc Fabregas in the lineup would certainly be an interesting proposition.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i was talking to some spaniards about good old catalonia the other day, their take is that you have as much chance of independence as galicia, andalucia, valencia at al. the basques are on their way to a virtual independence but then they are a different race with real non-links to spain apparently.

the main thing i hear about the catalans is that they simply make the most noise, this is due to their relative wealth (good ports, close to europe etc) compared to the other regions of spain. i also hear that they are not keen on spreading this wealth, such the call for independence - bit like london saying we don't want to share, we want independence.

can i add there is more than 1 team in catalonia as well!

my friends from aragon tell me that the flag is aragonese as well, an old soldier apparently wiping his blood stained hands down a yellow flag to produce the famous stripes (also seen on the flags of most regions in that part of the world), but the aragones aren't massive fans of the catalans i think!

on the grounds of frutos' choice i decree that i am going to change my nationality to Valenciano and spend the rest of my days darting around on a moped defacing street signs by spray painting the those cheeky 'o's and 'e's at the end of town names and drinking horchata (ahem, orxata, sorry).

Amunt Valencia!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
can i add there is more than 1 team in catalonia as well!

Indeed there is.

Of course, it's ironic as a Brighton fan that when it comes to my second team, I should choose to follow the team who play in red and blue stripes over those in blue and white stripes. :wink:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I think its because the individual FA's in Britain and their representative teams pre-date the international football system as we know it now, and therefore are allowed to remain as kind of an anachronism. I think new teams are only accepted if they gain full international sovereignty in the wider sense (i.e. Montenegro recently).

Having said that I'm not sure how unique the GB situation is. I know the Faroes are part of Denmark, yet obviously have their own side.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Italian, but only cos they've got a great national anthem

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Add in poverty, corruption, crime, and it makes it a little too much like the UK for me

Oh well, it's probably just as well I'm English then.

On second thoughts...

07_brazil_group_01.jpg

(L-R) Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Good Question!

I wouldn't mind being Irish. Reckon it's a good life over there.

Canadian would be o.k, no-one dislikes them so they can travel pretty much anywhere they like in the world. Probably a beautiful country too.

Wouldn't be against being aussie either, they seem to have a good life and are far more succesful at sport that a country of their (population) size should be.

In Europe, I've got to go with Italy. Great food, beautiful country, hot women and a football team that wins things. Often.

Also wouldn't mind being brazilian, but only if I could be a rich one that got to travel and not live in the favella's.

It'd probably be pretty cool coming from somewhere like Fiji, too.

Oh yeah, Andorra. Squeezed between france and spain and if I was an Andorran(?) I'd have a good chance of being an international footballer.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
French every time!

If you dont like something, f*** it, set fire to it: sheep, government buildings, lorries, ferries.

Smoking ban? just ignore it.

EU farming laws. Just ignore them.

You could always be incredibly rude in shops and do a lot of gallic shrugging

I'd deffo be French me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here