Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you use the term "tippy-tappy"...

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
If weebles can wobble, then jellies can wibble… must be a real word - sure Rowan Atkinson has said wibble more than once!

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
I say tippy-tappy, you know what I mean by it so thats good enough for me

tippy-tappy describes it nicely I think.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What is your definition of total football? (Genuinely interested, not being sarcy)

Total Football is a way of playing where there no outfield player is fixed in a nominal position. David Winner's 'Brilliant Orange' book captures much of the philosophical underpinnings in it, and its colour, beauty, arrogance and Dutchness. Wikipedia has a fine example of what total football could look like in a 1970s Ajax or Netherlands team: "Although Cruyff was fielded as centre forward, he wandered all over the pitch, popping up wherever he could do most damage to the opposing team. This resulted in a need for a dynamic system like Total Football, Cruyff's teammates adapted themselves flexibly around his movements, regularly switching positions so that the tactical roles in the team were always filled."

So while all players may have preferences or areas where they are particularly strong, it requires a high level of flexibility and adaptability where every outfield player is comfortable in every other outfield position.

Strangely, I read in a media report that the Albion defence and midfield tried to play a form of Total Football at the start of the 1982/83 season as Mike Bailey briefly tried to bring about a more attractive style of play, but while pretty, it neither strengthened the defence nor helped the attack. I've no idea how long the experiment lasted.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
I don't use drugs, but having just read this whole thread i intend on getting on the class A's within the next hour.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Wolves are even trying the own derivation of TT. It's known as the Micky Macky...

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
If the majority says it then it is correct. Everyone has an opinion on language even when they know nothing about linguistics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here