Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you came across £500.00 in crisp fifties in the street.....

if you found £500.00 in crisp fifties in the street what would you do if no one saw u

• (A) hand it in to the police and hope someone claims it and gives you a slice....

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • (B) keep it and say nothing!!!!!

Votes: 85 69.7%
  • (C) don't know......

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's be honest, as an officer of the law that's the ONLY answer you could give on a public forum !

Undoubtedly. But I like to think I'm a decent person regardless of that.

It's not my money. I don't know how it came to be there or who it belongs to. Therefore it's not mine to keep.

Turn this around...say it was one of you who lost £500.00 in the street, maybe you'd been saving it up for a while to buy something, or it was the proceeds of a charity collection, or your kids' birthday money that you'd been en route to pay into the bank.

How would you feel if some thief (because that's what it is) trousered it? I would be gutted.

Besides, to keep it would potentially constitute a criminal offence of theft by finding. The law states you have to take reasonable steps to find the lawful owner of any property you find.

Sep 1, 2010
Undoubtedly. But I like to think I'm a decent person regardless of that.

It's not my money. I don't know how it came to be there or who it belongs to. Therefore it's not mine to keep.

Turn this around...say it was one of you who lost £500.00 in the street, maybe you'd been saving it up for a while to buy something, or it was the proceeds of a charity collection, or your kids' birthday money that you'd been en route to pay into the bank.

How would you feel if some thief (because that's what it is) trousered it? I would be gutted.

Besides, to keep it would potentially constitute a criminal offence of theft by finding. The law states you have to take reasonable steps to find the lawful owner of any property you find.

I would hand it in TBH, but is theft by finding a new law(or maybe an ancient one)? Never heard of that before

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hand it in. I believe in karma

I'm not a pussy, but I rekon I'd feel better knowing it found it's rightful owner rather than the pleasure I'd get from blowing a monkey

*edit* I've just read my post and realise the monkey comment looks like I'm into bestiality, but will leave it there for comedy value :dunce: :facepalm:

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would hand it in TBH, but is theft by finding a new law(or maybe an ancient one)? Never heard of that before

Part of the Theft Act. Always has been as far as I know.

Essentially, if you find something you have to take reasonable steps to find the owner. What is reasonable depends on the circumstances and the item. If it's a quid, or a fiver, say, or a teddy bear or a box of chocolates, it's going to be hard to do that because nobody's going to report it missing and the item isn't itself identifiable. At best you might ask people around you if it's theirs.

If it was fifty quid, or pretty much anything above that, or something identifiable as belonging to someone (a wallet, a phone etc) then you'd expect the owner to have reported its loss, and thus reporting your find to the police, or the premises manager if you're at a gig, football match for example, would be a reasonable step. Or calling the owner, or going to their address perhaps.

People get charged with it more often than you'd think.

Sep 1, 2010
Part of the Theft Act. Always has been as far as I know.

Essentially, if you find something you have to take reasonable steps to find the owner. What is reasonable depends on the circumstances and the item. If it's a quid, or a fiver, say, or a teddy bear or a box of chocolates, it's going to be hard to do that because nobody's going to report it missing and the item isn't itself identifiable. At best you might ask people around you if it's theirs.

If it was fifty quid, or pretty much anything above that, or something identifiable as belonging to someone (a wallet, a phone etc) then you'd expect the owner to have reported its loss, and thus reporting your find to the police, or the premises manager if you're at a gig, football match for example, would be a reasonable step. Or calling the owner, or going to their address perhaps.

People get charged with it more often than you'd think.

Blimey! Never knew that! I was lucky i did not have a delivery stolen off my doorstep yesterday. I didn't sign for it as i was at work but amazingly it was still there. I was tempted to make a claim but i am too honest.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If someone is silly enough to lose it, then I am more than stupid enough to keep it:D

My conscience would always allow me to sleep well because I don't give a shit:facepalm:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
As a kid I found a wallet in the street, handed it in to the cops, the owner reclaimed it and sent me a couple of quid...I was only 11 at the time and was well made up that my honesty had been rewarded. A few years ago I found a TAG Heuer watch on the pavement in Edinburgh, took it to the cop shop but asked not to be contacted if it wasn't collected as it looked fake, but I reckoned the rightful owner would want it back again.

I just hope that if I ever lose anything of value that one of the honest people on here find it, you will be rewarded!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My missus found about £2k on the train a couple of years ago, she handed it in. (it would have been a different story had I found it, or indeed had I been on the train with her :) )

I found a hundred quid in crispy folded tenners in a packet down Preston Drove once. Handed it in to the police on the assumption that it might be some old dear's pension or somebody's pay packet. Made sure I got a copy of the form from the police at the time. A month or three months later, forget which, I called up to see if anybody had claimed it. They hadn't so I got given the money anyways.

MacKenzie - did your missus ever get a form? Did she ever follow it up? I know that even if somebody claims the money, they are strongly suggested by the police to give the finder a reward.

D

Deleted User X18H

Someone I know foumd a large amount of dough about £800 very early one morning at Preston Park Station (05:16 Train I think.) Just sitting in an envelope on the old Permit to Travel machine .

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Hand it in, without question. And wouldn't expect a reward for doing so. Afterall, why should you be rewarded for not keeping what isn't yours in the first place?

Depressing how many dishonest people there are on here.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I found a hundred quid in crispy folded tenners in a packet down Preston Drove once. Handed it in to the police on the assumption that it might be some old dear's pension or somebody's pay packet. Made sure I got a copy of the form from the police at the time. A month or three months later, forget which, I called up to see if anybody had claimed it. They hadn't so I got given the money anyways.

MacKenzie - did your missus ever get a form? Did she ever follow it up? I know that even if somebody claims the money, they are strongly suggested by the police to give the finder a reward.

I think she got a receipt, I don't think she ever followed it up though. I'll ask her when she gets back in.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
this happened to me I found a cash bag in the road with just over £5000 in it plus some cheques, I handed them in to the police turns out local company guy puts days takings on roof of van while opening the door then drives off and it falls off at the first corner, to cut a long story short I got two fantastic references the next job I went for the chap conducting the interview was a local JP gave me the job 30 years later the JP has retired and I am running the show, have made the £5000 over and over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here