Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Portsmouth fold it's very unfair on us.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
What would be unfair, but would probably be our 'tough titty' because our fixture against them is on the 10th:

I read somewhere that Birch is due in the High Court on Friday 9th to say yae or nae as to whether Pompey have the funds to feasibly continue. What if he says no?

How out of pocket would we be seeing as we are meant to play them the next day? Forget the fifty odd grand in away ticket sales. That would be small change if the game is cancelled forever. Ticket sale refunds, food & drink sale losses & umpteen other pre paid matchday expenses plus lost income? Season ticket holders would probably receive a credit for a game next season or credit on their cards. Its a potential serious unplanned loss for The Albion.

Teams that have played them at home & won may well bitch about losing three points. (Allardyce has been whinging) At least they've banked the money from any home fixture.

Hopefully they'll limp on until the end of the season then get booted into the Conference South. Or at least March 11th !

Interesting and valid point re; potential losses if we don't play them on March 10th.

22,500 @ at an average of £25 (match ticket, booze and food) is £562,500......a lot of money...!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well I for one wish it was Palace going under. I just want to win the Euros and I will buy Palace on the Monday morning. And subsequently fold the fucker on Tuesday.

On a lighter note, an Irish man went ordered a Pizza and the man behind the counter said would you like it cut into 8 or 6 pieces. The irish man says six please Im not that hungry.
(Frank Carson RIP)

My work here is done.

My work here is done.

Nice to see you've awoken to share a gag or 2 with us (& the Carson joke was a veritable treat too). Have you considered a career in Stand-up? A week headlining the Hammersmith Apollo surely beckons.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Nice to see you've awoken to share a gag or 2 with us (& the Carson joke was a veritable treat too). Have you considered a career in Stand-up? A week headlining the Hammersmith Apollo surely beckons.
Thank you, tried to tell you the other day all I post is utter shite. Although I do think what I post is funny but it isn't to everyones taste. Ex serviceman Im afraid we all have weird senses of humour.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Why is everybody trying to come up with various permutations as to how to deduct points.

Because it would appear that the FA might not (and it is fun :D).

The fairest way is what will happen, ie you expunge their record entirely. That is the rule and you cannot change it to suit certain clubs otherwise you will open the door to a plethora of law suits as clubs fight for either promotion, play-off or relegation places (of which there would only be two).

I'm assuming you mean from this season and not their entire history (even I think that would be harsh!)? Firstly, I don't think there is a precedent for that and secondly (and this is a guess), I think the chairmen of the other clubs would have to vote expel them out of the league and I can't see that happening.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thank you, tried to tell you the other day all I post is utter shite. Although I do think what I post is funny but it isn't to everyones taste. Ex serviceman Im afraid we all have weird senses of humour.

Fair play to you. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why is everybody trying to come up with various permutations as to how to deduct points. The fairest way is what will happen, ie you expunge their record entirely. That is the rule and you cannot change it to suit certain clubs otherwise you will open the door to a plethora of law suits as clubs fight for either promotion, play-off or relegation places (of which there would only be two).

Because in 2005 Spennymoor went bust and the unibond league were going to expunge all their results, but the FA overturned it. Some teams did bring a lawsuit against the FA, but the courts upheld the FA's decision not to expunge results.

The key point being that at a meeting earlier in the season, the unibond league (managers, I think) agreed that they would not expunge the points should spennymoor go bust, then changed their minds when it actually happened.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because it would appear that the FA might not (and it is fun :D).

I'm assuming you mean from this season and not their entire history (even I think that would be harsh!)? Firstly, I don't think there is a precedent for that and secondly (and this is a guess), I think the chairmen of the other clubs would have to vote expel them out of the league and I can't see that happening.

Of course it is only this season. Also, what happened to Aldershot's record when they went bust and resigned in March 92?

Because in 2005 Spennymoor went bust and the unibond league were going to expunge all their results, but the FA overturned it. Some teams did bring a lawsuit against the FA, but the courts upheld the FA's decision not to expunge results.

The key point being that at a meeting earlier in the season, the unibond league (managers, I think) agreed that they would not expunge the points should spennymoor go bust, then changed their minds when it actually happened.

But surely it is the Football League rules that apply, not the FA.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Perhaps.

But, in the unibond example their rules should have applied, not the FA's, yet the FA overruled them. So I presume they could overrule the Football League. Though, as I mentioned, they had a reason to overrule the unibond league a they had previously stated they would not expunge the results, so essentially the FA were forcing the Unibond league to stick to their previous position, so they might not have a reason to get involved with the pompey decision. Just think it's worth noting as a precedent.

I also meant to mention that was the first northern premier league season of the conference north or something, so there was also perhaps an issue with it being new and the FA needing to oversee things.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You keep going.

But please, if you win the Euro Millions and buy Palace, don't just close them on the Tuesday. We could have a poll on NSC every day deciding what to do with the fuckers. Make them spend one day of training hoping on one leg to build strength for their shooting foot. Eleven outfield players. Think of the fun we could have.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
We beat them at fratton park did you only get a draw . I still think its the best solution IMO .

Its clearly unfair. If youve only played them once and at home, thats a clear advantage over a team thats played them once that being away.

The only thing fair option is get rid of all results.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Its clearly unfair. If youve only played them once and at home, thats a clear advantage over a team thats played them once that being away.

The only thing fair option is get rid of all results.
Don't think it matters to be honest they will survive in the end I expect ,

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps.

But, in the unibond example their rules should have applied, not the FA's, yet the FA overruled them. So I presume they could overrule the Football League. Though, as I mentioned, they had a reason to overrule the unibond league a they had previously stated they would not expunge the results, so essentially the FA were forcing the Unibond league to stick to their previous position, so they might not have a reason to get involved with the pompey decision. Just think it's worth noting as a precedent.

I also meant to mention that was the first northern premier league season of the conference north or something, so there was also perhaps an issue with it being new and the FA needing to oversee things.

But isn't the point that the FA got involved because the unibond league tried to change their rules half way through the season.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Of course it is only this season. Also, what happened to Aldershot's record when they went bust and resigned in March 92?

I did a bit of research (mostly on the internet) and it would appear that their record was expunged (I like that word), so there is a precedent after all. Possibly worrying for Portsmouth.

Correct - I should have said the Football League and not the FA.

Perhaps.

I can't see the FA stepping in here though and given Portsmouth's current administrative predicament, I doubt that they (PFC) would challenge the Football League rules. This is football though and it is a mess, which makes me wonder what further surprises there might be along the way....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But isn't the point that the FA got involved because the unibond league tried to change their rules half way through the season.

I've got most of my info from wikipedia and a couple of other bbc articles, and the way I read it was that at a meeting of managers in january 2005 they agree not to expunge the results.

Then at the end of the season april 2005 they changed their minds and expunged them. This was initially blocked because not enough people were at the meeting where it was decided. A second meeting was held mayh 2005 with the same outcome.

A few teams then complained to the FA, who overturned the Unibond decision because of the meeting in January where they had decided not to expel spennymoor and expunge their records.

2004–05 Northern Premier League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know if
their rules say 'expel and expunge' and in January they changed it, then in April/May changed it back;
or
they didn't have a rule (it was the first year of the north/south conferences, apparently) introduced it in january, changed their mind in april/may (perhaps on learning the football league's rule) and the FA said they had to stick by the January decision, this time, and now have implemented an 'expel and expunge' rule

Like I said, this is a messy example, and could very well therefore be irrelevant, but I just thought it needed citing as a precedent. I would imagine if the Football League had held a meeting where they agreed not to expunge Portsmouth's results, we would have heard about it by now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't see the FA stepping in here though and given Portsmouth's current administrative predicament, I doubt that they (PFC) would challenge the Football League rules. This is football though and it is a mess, which makes me wonder what further surprises there might be along the way....

With the spennymoor example, it was the other teams who missed out on promotion who challenged the decision and got the FA involved. Since, at the moment, the only teams whose fate changes are West Ham (who have a game in hand, which if they win puts them back into automatic promotion) and Reading (who would have moved from play offs to automatic) I'm not sure either would complain. That may change at the end of the season when all the other games have been played though.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
This season in Ryman South, Croydon Athletic went bust (something about Croydon clubs) all are the results / points have been taken away. My other side Whyteleafe lost six points having won against them twice.

I do agree with a previous comment that sides who have not played there home games will lose out financially to those who have already played them.

Where possible the FA must try to ensure that Pompey limp there way to the end of the season, all the time they are still trading it's easier to find a new investor.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The FA is the governing body in football and any matters that go to arbitration will end up in their 'court'. That includes the Football league. Everything would need FA approval.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Whatever happens with Portsmouth it will be unfair.

If they go until the end of the season teams playing between now and then will have an advantage due to them getting rid of their half decent players, not to mention morale, releagtion etc.
Or rather, teams that have played them already have had it unfair because they were playing an artificially inflated team (still waiting for the FA to strip them of the FA Cup they won on this basis...).

If they don't there's no really fair way of sorting the points out. It will distort the league whatever you do. As it stands we won't lose much in terms of our chances of getting in the top 6. If you assume we'd beat them next week (or we actually do) then maybe we would, if we draw or lose to them we might actually gain from it. If you want to look at what's fair or unfair purely in terms of self interest.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
With the spennymoor example, it was the other teams who missed out on promotion who challenged the decision and got the FA involved. Since, at the moment, the only teams whose fate changes are West Ham (who have a game in hand, which if they win puts them back into automatic promotion) and Reading (who would have moved from play offs to automatic) I'm not sure either would complain. That may change at the end of the season when all the other games have been played though.

So, theoretically, if we don't beat Portsmouth on Saturday.... but finished the season one point outside the playoffs, below a team who had gained more points than us against Portsmouth (for example West Ham, or Middlesborough) we could potentially make a challenge to the FA to get Portsmouth's recored expunged. Most interesting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here