Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Portsmouth fold it's very unfair on us.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Whatever happens with Portsmouth it will be unfair.

If they go until the end of the season teams playing between now and then will have an advantage due to them getting rid of their half decent players, not to mention morale, releagtion etc.

Well the PFC players won't want to get relegated - so that is motivation enough for them.

Or rather, teams that have played them already have had it unfair because they were playing an artificially inflated team (still waiting for the FA to strip them of the FA Cup they won on this basis...).

If they don't there's no really fair way of sorting the points out. It will distort the league whatever you do. As it stands we won't lose much in terms of our chances of getting in the top 6. If you assume we'd beat them next week (or we actually do) then maybe we would, if we draw or lose to them we might actually gain from it. If you want to look at what's fair or unfair purely in terms of self interest.

That theory holds no weight for me, those teams that have already played PFC won't have gone out there thinking that they're playing some sort of "fake team", they will have played the players who are in front of them at the time. They still will have lost, won (as we did :D), or drawn.

And yes, it will distort the league. If PFC do resign from membership of the league, the FA and/or the Football League will have to have some serious self examination on how the blatant abuse of their own fit and proper persons regulations (amongst others) has not been rigorous enough to stop another team going out of existence.

This is not an ameteur game any longer, it is now a professional multi-million (billion?) pound industry, which should not be subjected to ambiguous ownership and other allegations such as money laundering.

As fans, we really should be petitioning the FA, The Football League and the Chairmen of the clubs to ensure that The FA, The Football League and the Premiership tighten up their regulations

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Heard Steve Claridge speaking about the situation on the radio whilst listening to the West ham Cardiff game. On the West Ham forums there fans want West Ham to help Pompey so they dont lose the points!

I have been thinking about it and it would make sense from an Irons perspective Portsmouth would need roughly 2.5 million to see them until the end of the season as long as West Ham get promoted they would get that back x 20. That 2.5 million would secure them 6 points which in turn could be enough to take them up.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I can't see Saints taking that lying down for two reasons!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well the PFC players won't want to get relegated - so that is motivation enough for them.
Yes, but they stand little chance of avoiding that, they've been thrown into a relegation battle they weren't really part of for the rest of the season, and they could be down by the end of the season making their last few games a gimme for any team that wants it. All these things are intangible and perhaps unquantifiable but whatever happens it will have changed their season and their remaining games, so it will be inconsistent and in that sense unfair.

That theory holds no weight for me, those teams that have already played PFC won't have gone out there thinking that they're playing some sort of "fake team", they will have played the players who are in front of them at the time. They still will have lost, won (as we did :D), or drawn.
The mentality of the opposition has no effect on the quality of players in the Portsmouth team, players which it turns out (to the surprise of no one) they couldn't pay for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here