where is Pende??

I believe its the far side of shoreham airport, next to sompting/lancing area

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
CrabtreeBHA said:
I believe its the far side of shoreham airport, next to sompting/lancing area

oooh I see - coolio...a hop skip and jump from Tedebears house too...

bit late for all this though I suppose.....

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Perseus, Have the club seriously looked at Pende? have you tried lobbying them?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Martin Perry was told of the Pende plan and acknowledged it several years before the Public Inquiry.

It was not so much a rejected as the Albion (with support of Brighton & Hove Planning) decided to go for Falmer instead as they wanted to put all their eggs in one basket.

Myself, I think the Albion got bad advice and made the wrong decision.

Such things are football, a missed penalty, the failure to sign the right player, is the margin between success and failure.

The real reason why I like Pende better, is that we could turn around to any Arsenal fan and say we have a better stadium than they have. Not only that the Pende site is four times the size of the Arsenal plan. And there is nothing to demolish, so no compensation. It is farming land so no high land costs either.

Exactly the opposite, there is room to build, which means the cost of the access roads does not fall on the football club but can be shared or paid by the rest of the development.

Who do think in the Falmer plan will get the parking income? The Universities? Under Pende this could all go in the pockets of the club.

But most of all, because it will be actually easier to get to (not for everybody) without the park 'n ride, it will be more popular.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pende.htm

Bandwidth can be exceeded on the above site because of too many visitors.

The alternative is at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/BMLSS/pende.htm

Last edited:

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Pende will be a fantastic option for all the all the Worthing based Albion fans!
Cant see it happening though - Falmer or bust.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lets hope that Pende is "Plan B"

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Scoffers; the lobbying would have to come if Falmer is turned down or fails for some other reason. Martin Perry is not open to any other suggestions and has not been for the whole duration.

That is the reason, why I posted the plan in the first place. Originally as a suggestion for the best location, but because the fans wanted Falmer this has ended up as a second choice.

Alas, with Falmer, the plan has been somewhat messed up and watered down since the Hove Town Hall demonstration when Village Way South was rejected by the Brighton Councillors.

It was not put in the public domain on the specific request of NSC members who saw as messing up the Falmer Public Inquiry. Now this has almost passed, there is not reason to keep it out of the public domain. But is there no good reason to muddy the waters right now. (Well there is to muck up the unpopular airport expansion plans thereby endgendering public support.)

I also saw it as a possible bargaining chip with Brighton University. It was incidentally designed to put all the new sports facilities that Sussex needs in one location for the benefit of Sussex not just Brighton & Hove, not to have them strewn in different locations all over the city. In this way it was designed to be the premier sports location on the south coast better than Southampton and Portsmouth, and I probably thought it really ought to have its own television station and film company as well.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Martin Perry preferred Village Way South (written reply).

We all know the reason as it would avoided all the trouble with Brighton University. It would also avoided the problems of squeezing the stadium in a smaller place.

The reason why the Councillors rejected VWS was the South Downs lobby and the AONB and National Park. That is why we were invited to oppose the National Park arbitary boundary.

I think this shows a lot of small minded and lack of political will for the stadium on behalf of Brighton Councillors.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pende is within eight miles of Brighton Pavilion as the seagull flies.

The important thing is ease of access without jamming up the roads, with public transport access and some sort of courtesy to the PG planning regs.

This has been thought out for Pende at:

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pende-Modal.htm

The alternative is at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/home...BMLSS/Pende-Modal.htm

Work out how quickly you could get there. The train from Brighton would be about 12 minutes.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Prescott cannot refuse Falmer for evidence not presented at the Public Inquiry. It is too late for the objectors now. They were too useless to think it out.

He can only delay the decision and ease the wheels for the alternative. Or he can delay the decision and do nothing.

Or he can pass Falmer with conditions that the Albion would have a hard job complying with meaning more delays? This the worst scenario.

If the Falmer plan is robust it cannot be refused. There has to be a reason. If it is refused the plan was not robust enough, not good enough which has nothing really to do with the objectors at all.

Falmer will be decided on the merits of the case presented at the Public Inquiry and that is down to Martin Perry. We could always take Lord Bracknell's word that it has no weak points (or only ones that have no bearing on the Planning decision).

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I wondered how long it would be before the Pende plan reared its head on this thread. The FA stipulated that any new ground had to be within 8 miles of Brighton Pavilion. Pende is 9 miles (according to Multimap anyway). Only just outside the limit but outside all the same.

Isn't it now being turned into a golf course anyway? If it isn't or if there is still enough room then it might come into consideration if 1. Falmer is turned down and
2. The 8 mile restriction is dropped/extended

Even though I live in Worthing, I would rather see the Albion playing in Brighton & Hove than in Lancing.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pende is 120 acres.

I did agree it is the second choice. That is the thread. I am only putting it out as the best alternative.

PS: if you can think up a better alternative draw up a plan. I don't mind. My intention is to to get the best stadium in the best location possible.

Waterhall will NOT work because of what I outlined at:
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pende2.htm

This is bit out of date. Waterhall will not work because of political opposition and because it will be prohibitively expensive.

The alternative is at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/home...BMLSS/Pende2.htm

Anyrate I don't think Falmer will be turned down.

That's not to say it will not come a cropper for some other reason like the escalating costs.

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Come on Lord B - repond, the Teddy is getting angry:angry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah, i've got my plans for a snowdome at the ready Lord B...what gives? :p

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Beeding. Hargreaves put in an ambitious plan for housing plus industrial premises on the Cement Works site.

It looked pretty on paper but it was turned down after a Public Inquiry.

I can think of lots of reasons why it was turned down because the transport and roads are naff, but I suspect that one reason is because West Sussex County Council wanted their incinerator there.

There area is not suitable for a sports stadium because the road infrastructure is nowhere near good enough for a business park. It is also in the National Park so the South Downs lobby objected.

It defies belief why they objected because it is an eyesore. However, as they objected to Falmer I suspect they object to anything in the boundaries for the National Park.

The real reason why it can be discounted for a sports stadium even with the best political will in the world that it will cost tens of £millions to clear up the site.

Even then the site is too far out and away from public transport to be any good for a stadium.

It could, however, provide holiday accomodation for a leisure complex on the Pende site as it is near enough to bus people in.

e.g. if during the summer and you wanted to run concerts at the sports community stadium during the summer, you could rent out holiday chalets and promote the area as a holiday destination.

The locals would not object as they would approve of just about anything bar an incinerator. The same applies to Pende. they would not object to a sports complex because it would provide employment and put a kybosh on expanding the airport runway (opinion with good foundation).

PS. If Hargreaves think they have the financial muscle to plan something on the scale they had planned for the Cement Works, they would have to the clout to fund Pende as well. Not only that their planning consultant is the same one that acts for the land owners at Pende.

If you think the Cement Works site would be a good place for a stadium, draw up you plans, not forgetting that single lane carriageway roads cost £2 million a kilometre, and somebody has to pay for the disposal of the tonnes of asbestos at the works.

If you want a railway line add on another £100 million or so. It is a complete non-goer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here