Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If "No" to Falmer then what?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
tedebear said:
I'd put it in the cement works (are their endangered frogs in there though??) and reincarnate the train line... shouldn't be a bad walk for me though...

heh yeah I've had many pub conversations about that place, here are some of the ideas my mates and me had:

New Brighton ground
Indoor Snowdome (YES)
Paint Balling Arena
Huge Pub complex with 2500 capacity gig venue
Fishing lakes
Huge arse Mansion for me and my mates with swimming pools and the lot!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Desert Orchid said:

The only alternative I can see is building outside Brighton & Hove, perhaps a long way outside, and possibly changing the name of the club. I doubt if anyone really wants that because it wouldn't really be BHA FC any more, but staying at Withdean would mean the club bleeding to death amidst a great deal of angst and acrimony.

However, I am confident that all of this is irrelevant because Falmer will happen. Keep the faith.

I think Falmer will happen as well, but I haven't really thought hard about the "what if it doesn't" scenario.

The club seem to have explored pretty much every Brighton and Hove option, maybe the next step would have to be locating outside the 8 mile Brighton and Hove zone...

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
lets just say 'direct action':angry:

tedebear said:
if its a no - I'll personally take it on myself to win the US lottery and build a stadium myself - honest!!
Yes. Thank you.

But where?

Beeding Cement Works already has a development lined up. Ditto Newhaven.

Waterhall has less chance of success than Falmer.

Withdean would never get the City Council's backing as a permanent, bigger stadium.

It really is Falmer or nowhere.

Nov 3, 2003
come on Lord B you cant tell me when Falmer is given the thumbs down that you aand others wont be saying With dean for all or ground share with the Pal@rse! Do you really think even Silent is that stupid to not hav e aplan B lined up?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah whats happening at Beeding?!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
tedebear said:
well that ruins my plans for a wild west kind of shooting gallery karaoke bar where you can tie up your horses out front!!

That's a real shame. :(

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's a shame that the site next to the Station wasn't in the running. I understand it's been earmarked for development and that Sainbury's have brought the land for a superstore. I also hear that there are going to be loads of new houses behind the store.

Was this site even considered by the Council and club? It's one of the few brownfield sites left in Brighton ( how many of those are there? ) and there's certainly enough land there to build a stadium. It would have been a fantastic site; right in the town and next to the station.

I suspect the plan though has always been to get us football fans out of the city centre in common with many other news stadiums. Great shame - think about Cardiff's Millennium stadium, in the city centre - generating a great atmosphere on match days and boosting the local economy.

Instead Brighton will have yet another retail park... just what the city needs!

As for Falmer, I honestly don't think there is a Plan B but I do think we'll get permission for Falmer. Everyone aside from a few nimbies wants it. The real question then will be how is the club going to pay for it? What is the business plan?

Can't help wondering about the station site and what might have been...

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Desert Orchid said:
Yes, it was considered very carefully but rejected partly because other development was already earmarked for the site.

is it really necessary to build a Sainsbury there? There's already one on London Road and in Lewes Road, and there is an Asda at Hollingbury and the Marina and I am sure there is a Tesco somewhere.

A stadium next to the station would be ideal, and would save most of these transport worries.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Desert Orchid said:
Yes, it was considered very carefully but rejected partly because other development was already earmarked for the site.

Thanks for that Desert Orchid. Was the other development earmarked in the city plan? If not, surely the council could have re-considered?

All academic now I know but...

Albion Rob

Look guys, if we're really desperate, the club could buy out The Oval and chuck Eastbourne United out.

It is a shit pit at the moment, but the running track is no longer needed, so three healthy sized stands could be built and a smaller one at the 'Princes Park Rnd'. Still quite close to the sea, so we could still call ourselves the Seagulls. That part of Eastbourne actually has an old skool footbally feel to it as there are loads of tight terraced houses and a fair few pubs nearby.

A final resort, of course, though.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Willow said:
It must be likely there will be an appeal if it is 'Yes', which means more delays... :( That's what happened after Fulham won approval for their redevelopment.

There is no appeal.

Someone could try a judicial review to see if John Prescott's department did everything legally but that is horrendously expensive and I believe the money has to be put up front beforehand.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I do not think it is even worth debating this until we know the result.

However, if the fans think Pende is a valid alternative, and I have not heard of a good reason why not, the alternative venue can be out in the public domain if Falmer is turned down before anybody starts getting despondent.

(I don't think Falmer can be turned down though - it can only delayed until everybody is well and truly fed up with it, if they aren't already).

Click on the text for Pende above. I think it is a better prospect than Falmer (bigger, parking is better, access is better, no park 'n ride, popular support from local people, room for a dedicated bus access as well), it is certainly better than Withdean and I think Pende is actually a better location than every single stadium in England, so that puts it in Champions League potential in my book (and stuff Chelski).

PS: And it might be cheaper as well. Get an outside developer to stump up every single penny of the planning costs.

PS: And as the plan includes a reserve ground as well, they could always move the portacabins from Withdean before a new stadium is built.

Last edited:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Yorkie said:
There is no appeal.

Someone could try a judicial review to see if John Prescott's department did everything legally but that is horrendously expensive and I believe the money has to be put up front beforehand.

Good good - thanks Yorkie. Let's hope you're right. After waiting on this for what seems like forever it's hard to believe it'll ever end!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
perseus said:
I do not think it is even worth debating this until we know the result.

However, if the fans think Pende is a valid alternative, and I have not heard of a good reason why not, the alternative venue can be out in the public domain if Falmer is turned down before anybody starts getting despondent.

I'm with you on this, walking distance form my house....marvelous!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here