Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If "No" to Falmer then what?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Doomsday scenario - If a "No" verdict is given by the government what will happen after that?

What will happen re. plans for a future ground, the possible redevelopment of Withdean and what will the impact be on finances and the performance of the team in 5 years time?

I think that a "No" verdict will result in Withdean becoming our home for another 5 years while a new plan is prepared, 2,000 extra seats, a year or two of mid-table mediocrity in Div 2 then fighting relegation for a couple more seasons, slipping further into the red over this time.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It really is just too depressing a prospect for words. You'll probably get hammered by the 'But it will happen' brigade, but it's something the board should be prepared for if the worst occurs. I'm heartily sick of Withdean, it is (and has been for a while) detracting from the otherwise great experience that is being an Albion fan. Have to agree with your analysis though - if the residents don't get us kicked out. And then on to a new site proposal....

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I don't think we'll survive if Falmer is a no, i can't see Fatboy bailing Dick out over and over again if Withdean is to be our home.

Prescott simply can't say no. (i'm confident of a YES)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Trigger said:
I don't think we'll survive if Falmer is a no, i can't see Fatboy bailing Dick out over and over again if Withdean is to be our home.

Prescott simply can't say no. (i'm confident of a YES)

Fully agree. We cannot sustain the losses if we don't get Falmer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that with no Falmer the figures will never add up, but will we be able to sustain the losses while a second bid is prepared?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lets be straight a no verdict would unleash 7 years of frustration and anger that would make the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse look like nice chaps.

A mass demo and march to no 10 of course.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I like to think of myself as reasonable up to a point. But I'm just wondering how I'd react in, say, a couple of years if we hadn't got Falmer, and the club had gone bust because Withdean isn't sustainable with the high rent and reduced revenue - and I met one of the NIMBYS shooting his mouth off about how he stopped the new stadium and saved the Downs. Is violence ever justified?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the field adjacent to Shoreham Airport is CRYING out for a footy stadium :p

Anyway a No in my eyes would mean us going out of buisness :nono: no more BHA :nono: too hard to even contemplate right now :nono:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It would be amazing if we could get football fans across the country to march to No. 10. Including 60,000 from Brighton.

Would it make a difference though?

I think we'll find out what happens next if its no from the club. They'll say something and we'll react to that.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
I like to think of myself as reasonable up to a point. But I'm just wondering how I'd react in, say, a couple of years if we hadn't got Falmer, and the club had gone bust because Withdean isn't sustainable with the high rent and reduced revenue - and I met one of the NIMBYS shooting his mouth off about how he stopped the new stadium and saved the Downs. Is violence ever justified?

Oh yes...

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I think there are a hell of a lot of clubs that look at Brighton and think "There but for the grace of God...". If Prescott says no then it will be a massive shot in the foot for Labour. This doesn't just affect Brighton fans but the future of ANY other club. Just ask Leeds fans. Any club is vunerable! If Prescott says no then he will have single handedly put a club out of business. I believe a fans united march on Downing Street would be massive! 100,000+

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Desert Orchid said:
Yes, but I think it could only be on the basis that the correct procedures weren't followed. I may be wrong on this though.

A judicial review which would be horrendously expensive, so no.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
Yes, but I think it could only be on the basis that the correct procedures weren't followed. I may be wrong on this though.

Yep. I'm under the impression that our letters to Prescott are useless as he cant read them as it would be break procedure as he would have taken views from the fans when he needs to be independent.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
The only realistic option would be buying/managing Withdean, basically taking it out of ecoverts hands. That alone would immediately save £26,000+ a game, increase matchday revenue from catering and other functions.

The case for Falmer has ruled out any other sites in Brighton or Hove other than Withdean.

The limited access (railway line and bridge) would limit capacity to around 12000 but with sufficent hospitality facilities and additional sports developments decent income could be generated at withdean.

Maybe another site in Sussex would be considered or even an attempt to buy Crawleys ground ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
If I won the lottery:

Buy out Waterhall and build a ground there, perfect for travel as its right next to the A23 & A27 plus build a new station on the track next to the A23 - marvelous!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
CrabtreeBHA said:
If I won the lottery:

Buy out Waterhall and build a ground there, perfect for travel as its right next to the A23 & A27 plus build a new station on the track next to the A23 - marvelous!

I'd put it in the cement works (are their endangered frogs in there though??) and reincarnate the train line... shouldn't be a bad walk for me though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here