Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Dictionary Definitions from Oxford Languages

Happy Clap
/ˈhappy Clapper/
adjective:

1. Never diminshed supporting without ever questioning.

2. Never losing any enthusiasm for those in blue and white even if managed by a man who took them on longest losing streak, dumped them, stole their coaching set up and bad mouthed.

"dippy2449 came in brimming with excitedness and Happy Clapped the lot"

Similar: Licker
Merely pointing out that the manager is not the team, I support Brighton and Hove Albion FC win, lose or draw.
Just because some hold grudges bigger than a mountain does not mean everybody has to descend to your level.
Oh and "losing Streak" got any new material???

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
All well and good. But you've been proper weird on this thread; sycophantic levels of praise and some off your nut delusion that we want him, he wants us, he will come and he will be the second coming of christ when he does. If i had to guess, its a troll. But there may be someone who believes what you say you do.

Regardless, you're not a barometer for how anyone else feels.

He's an Albion legend, and probably the best English manager in the world right now. I think we can all be certain he is one of the preferred candidates of TB and PB. I believe that McKenna was number one, but now that's not going to happen, I believe that Potter is the next best option.

It just seems so perfect. We know he can do a job, at the very least. We know he can improve every year, aligned with our ambitions. He's a safe bet, and a good bet, as he would surely do a great job here again, just as he did before.

I suspect that the only stumbling block would be whether he would WANT to come back. I'm hoping that PB & TB can do enough to convince him that this is the best club for him, now and for years to come.

Not trolling at all. I have one agenda - and that is being an Albion fan and wanting the Albion to succeed. When I see names like Cooper thrown into the mix, it depresses me, as these kinds of names could get us relegated.

Getting Potter back would be great for the club, and it would be yet another middle finger up at Chelsea, especially if he does well, which I'm certain he would.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's an Albion legend, and probably the best English manager in the world right now. I think we can all be certain he is one of the preferred candidates of TB and PB. I believe that McKenna was number one, but now that's not going to happen, I believe that Potter is the next best option.

It just seems so perfect. We know he can do a job, at the very least. We know he can improve every year, aligned with our ambitions. He's a safe bet, and a good bet, as he would surely do a great job here again, just as he did before.

I suspect that the only stumbling block would be whether he would WANT to come back. I'm hoping that PB & TB can do enough to convince him that this is the best club for him, now and for years to come.

Not trolling at all. I have one agenda - and that is being an Albion fan and wanting the Albion to succeed. When I see names like Cooper thrown into the mix, it depresses me, as these kinds of names could get us relegated.

Getting Potter back would be great for the club, and it would be yet another middle finger up at Chelsea, especially if he does well, which I'm certain he would.
I like your last point! Anything that pisses off Chelsea!

Popular or not, he would be a good option. Maybe not as exciting (aka batshit mental) as de Zerbi - but perhaps a safe pair of hands, with steady, not heady, progress would be quite useful right now, with a bit of a rebuild needed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Potter only had Mitoma as an option for 6 matches, at the start of 2022-23! 2021-21 he was on loan at USG.
Still an option though, he chose not to play him. See your post I responded to.

As per my other discussion, Potter teams play narrow.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I like your last point! Anything that pisses off Chelsea!

Popular or not, he would be a good option. Maybe not as exciting (aka batshit mental) as de Zerbi - but perhaps a safe pair of hands, with steady, not heady, progress would be quite useful right now, with a bit of a rebuild needed.
It wouldn't piss off Chelsea.

If he came back and had us playing well they'd all just say "shit manager can only do well at a shit club".

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He had Mitoma, but never started with him.

He brought him on vs Newcastle, and he spent 10 minutes humiliating Trippier
Yup, Mitoma was used as a sub by Potter (the few minutes of Tross and Mitoma on the left wing was a beautiful sight).

He was also used as a sub by De Zerbi in the first five games, until injuries made RDZ move Tross to the 9 role.

Maybe both managers were idiots, or Leandro Trossard was doing really well on the left wing.. either way, we won a lot of games. And Mitomas time was always going to come, be it with Potter, De Zerbi or someone else.

Potter hates wingers anyway so we’d probably just flog them
If Potter returns we will have a disgruntled Mitoma, Adingra, Osman & March not sure how that even works.
He loves wingers - he plays them as full backs.
Ok..

kaourumitoma.jpg

potterzerbimarch.jpg

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
After the understandable shock and fury at Potter's departure (and the others who were tempted away by toxic but mega rich Chelsea), I consider we must reflect on what is best for our club, including taking back the prodigal son.. For the final decision on the matter we must and should rely on TB and unite behind it. Anything else would be a serious act of self harm.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
After the understandable shock and fury at Potter's departure (and the others who were tempted away by toxic but mega rich Chelsea), I consider we must reflect on what is best for our club, including taking back the prodigal son.. For the final decision on the matter we must and should rely on TB and unite behind it. Anything else would be a serious act of self harm.
Agree, but apparently Potter is holding out for the England job.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Personally I'd promote Lee Carsley from the U21s.

After these Euros we're due a changing of the guard and he knows how to get a tune out of the next generation. He won the Euros and his record is played 28, won 24, drawn 1, lost 4.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I've been in two minds about Potter for pretty much all the reasons that have been enumerated over some 1,000+ posts here.

But as this point I'm just f***ing impatient. Just appoint Potter now and let's get on with planning for next season. He might not be the most exciting option, he might not be the best option, but he is the safe option.

You win Tony. Making us all wait until we've all boarded the Potter bus!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Could absolutely be the case. Don't think he's much into international management really, but difficult to skip out on that one when you're not currently in a job.

Getting a part-time gig like that would allow him to remain in Hove with plenty of time to chill with the family, drink nice coffee etc. and then pop up once in a while to beat some Mickey Mouse nations in the qualifiers and arrange some rondo sessions and then get back to the hammock. Good stuff, and maybe he's at a stage in life where he doesn't want the 24/7 work that is being a club manager?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tau was a winger? I thouht he was a striker; just not very good. AJ just wasn't very good - and Solly played more as a LWB than a LB.
Yet both good enough to be named in our PL squad…..

I wouldn’t disagree with your assessment on ability though. I thought the games Tau played he was wide and drifting in, similar to Trossard.

Potter made the pitch narrow for me particularly in comparison to RdZ, who even when we were down to Adingra, pushed others wider, Buononotte for example.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Just used his main one as a LB….. (Solly)
Izquierdo, AJ, Tau.

Although Izquierdo was injured a lot the others weren’t
The only manager who has ever put Solly March as a left back in a 4-man-backline is Roberto De Zerbi this season against Liverpool and Manchester City.

Potter's main formation (though certainly flexible and often changing several times per game) at Östersund was 3-4-3, 4-3-3 in Swansea and 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-1-2 for us.

Now, what you label the wide players in a 3-4-2-1 is not exactly obvious, especially when the 3-man-back-line is also attacking. They aren't "wingers" in the modern sense, because they are expected to participate in build-up and defending across the wing. But they aren't "backs" either because they spend the vast majority on the opposing half and are very rarely inside their own box.

In the successful 14-15 game streak that took Potter to Chelsea, Solly March usually played to the right in front of Veltman with Trossard playing on the left in front of Cucurella. Whatever you choose to call their positions, they were brilliant and attacked a lot more than they defended. On some papers, sure, Solly was a "right back" or "right wing back" and Tross "left back" or "left wing back", but in reality they were behaving like wide midfielders would do in a traditional 4-4-2.

If Potter arrives, we will be playing formations according to the players available, as has always been the case with Graham Potter and pretty much the main reason anyone wants him; he is very, very adaptable. If he's our new manager, he isn't putting Mitoma on the bench just like he wasn't benching Trossard. Pretty f***ing obvious. And with Pervis and Barco in the squad, Solly would never play LB and barely even LWB.

Graham Potter took over a team predicted to get relegated, and while I'm sure a lot of people will pretend that RDZ would have made Martin Montoya as RB and Alireza Jahanbaksh as RW with no/little defensive duties look like a viable Premier League right wing, the reality is that we a right midfielder (usually Gross or Solly in the first GP season) that could help Martin, because he was shit. Equally, while Burn did alright on his own and allowed Tross to attack more, Bernardo needed a lot of help. The loss against Bournemouth with Bernardo as LB and Alireza as LW... didn't work.

There's nothing that says Graham Potter would have to be as pragmatic as he initially had to be if he would take over now, because the squad is just so much stronger (and especially better balanced) than it was in 19/20 or 20/21.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What is the longest we have gone without a manager?

And don't anyone say 1995-1999, please.

We have had 38 managers since our inception (counting reappointments). I have watched us play under 30 of them.

I need to go to bed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here