Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not a fan of - fair enough. - but More fool anyone if they actually hate a football manager. You'd think we're above that at the Albion.
We can call it 'not a fan of' if you prefer, but I heard 28,000 Brighton fans boo him and his team for 90 minutes and then celebrate in his face, and I've read plenty of SM comments that suggest many still have that feeling in them.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
We can call it 'not a fan of' if you prefer, but I heard 28,000 Brighton fans boo him and his team for 90 minutes and then celebrate in his face, and I've read plenty of SM comments that suggest many still have that feeling in them.

Most Albion fans would completely back him should he return. After a decent run of form, and particularly after a decent season, he should have the backing of 99.9% of the fans.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Which begs the question - would he WANT to come back?

I think he's a shoe-in for England after Southgate leaves when we exit the Euros at the quarter-finals.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
With Potter that's just not going to happen. I know Icy Gull and Swansman will claim it's just a small proportion of people on here with a couple of ringleaders, but they're not reading Twitter, Facebook and Insta if they do.

A significant proportion of our fanbase hate Potter.
Nah, I don't think its a small proportion. I have no doubt that the eg the Twitter brain trust don't like Potter. The ca "70-30" polls are probably correct.

People who identify with Roberto De Zerbi, like you and THPP and a fair lot of others, didn't really like Potter to begin with because he's "soft", "yes man" etc. I don't think anyone has missed out on that your modus operandi in discussions and so forth are personal attacks, bullying, ridiculing, belittling and seeing yourself as a genius who can't be wrong. Thats pretty similar to RDZ. And FINALLY you, THPP and so forth found a manager who thinks he knows better than Tony does - just like you guys.

That type of personality is also the type of personality that dominates the social media landscape - people who build their persona and identity around being the "insatiable tough angry guy" and while you're right a signifcant proportion hate Potter, this "significant proportion" looks even bigger at platforms where the loudest and the angriest also talk the most.

Its fine. Not all personalities fit everyone. Some will identify more with tough-know-it-all-narcissists like Mourinho, Conte, De Zerbi and so forth, others will identify more with soft-I-want-to-thank-everyone-around-me like Klopp, Potter, Ranieri and so forth. Thats how it is.

But in the end, Tony knows that competence over time will override the strongest emotions in any direction. If results are good enough, most Potter-types will be willing to accept a 45-year-old lad who ran a fan page about himself and spends a lot of time in the mirror to fix his hair to make it "cool". And if the results are good enough, most De Zerbi types will be willing to accept someone looking and behaving like their former geography teacher.

I mean, lets face it. If we hire Rose West (ok slight exaggeration but you get the point) and win the league people would want her to stay another year. Nothing specific to Brighton - would be same in every club.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I wouldn't say I hate the man, but I would f***ing hate him to be our man again. I also think he would be a terrible choice for England, which means he will probably get that job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Most Albion fans would completely back him should he return. After a decent run of form, and particularly after a decent season, he should have the backing of 99.9% of the fans.
OK mate.

The act is boring but I'll indulge your Swansman circle jerk to point out that a guy who barely won a home game in his first two seasons and had a worse win percentage at a top six club than RDZ did here, would now be coming back to a squad with a significantly worse midfield and defence than he had and lots of wingers / no full backs. Also back to a league where most teams have spent the last 4 years either learning to play possession football or how to counter it, or both. We're going to need a little more innovation than the Brummie teeth sucker would offer.

Last edited:

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
OK mate.

The act is boring but I'll indulge your Swansman circle jerk to point out that a guy who barely won a home game in his first two seasons and had a worse win percentage at a top six club than RDZ did here, would now be coming back to a squad with a significantly worse midfield and defence than he had and lots of wingers / no full backs. Also back to a league where most teams have spent the last 4 years either learning to play possession football or how to counter it, or both. We're going to need a little more innovation that the Brummie teeth sucker would offer.

I just find these kinds of views so obtuse. Why are so many Albion so ungrateful and entitled these days? Potter was working with one of the smallest budgets in the Premier League. Before he took over, every season we were fighting for survival, often by the skin of our teeth.

Potter took on the project and truly established the club as a Premier League team, despite having a small budget, seeing us finish in our highest ever position, putting the best ever Albion squad in a great position and on a plate for RDZ to finish even higher.

What he did here was incredible. He's a top manager. Luckily for us, RDZ was the right man at the right time, but it would have been fascinating to see how far he would have taken us if he stayed.

Let's just hope he comes back to pick up from where he left of and continue his project here.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
As one of the 28,000 who had a wonderfully fun afternoon booing Chelsea and Potter I would like to point out that were he to become our coach again I would not be throwing a single toy out of my pram. He is not a rapist, murderer or paedophile, these are the people I reserve my hate for. If we win games he could be an ex Palace person for all I care.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He is still divisive then? Have we come to any group conclusion about him yet?

For this reason I am out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Nah, I don't think its a small proportion. I have no doubt that the eg the Twitter brain trust don't like Potter. The ca "70-30" polls are probably correct.

People who identify with Roberto De Zerbi, like you and THPP and a fair lot of others, didn't really like Potter to begin with because he's "soft", "yes man" etc. I don't think anyone has missed out on that your modus operandi in discussions and so forth are personal attacks, bullying, ridiculing, belittling and seeing yourself as a genius who can't be wrong. Thats pretty similar to RDZ. And FINALLY you, THPP and so forth found a manager who thinks he knows better than Tony does - just like you guys.

That type of personality is also the type of personality that dominates the social media landscape - people who build their persona and identity around being the "insatiable tough angry guy" and while you're right a signifcant proportion hate Potter, this "significant proportion" looks even bigger at platforms where the loudest and the angriest also talk the most.

Its fine. Not all personalities fit everyone. Some will identify more with tough-know-it-all-narcissists like Mourinho, Conte, De Zerbi and so forth, others will identify more with soft-I-want-to-thank-everyone-around-me like Klopp, Potter, Ranieri and so forth. Thats how it is.

But in the end, Tony knows that competence over time will override the strongest emotions in any direction. If results are good enough, most Potter-types will be willing to accept a 45-year-old lad who ran a fan page about himself and spends a lot of time in the mirror to fix his hair to make it "cool". And if the results are good enough, most De Zerbi types will be willing to accept someone looking and behaving like their former geography teacher.

I mean, lets face it. If we hire Rose West (ok slight exaggeration but you get the point) and win the league people would want her to stay another year. Nothing specific to Brighton - would be same in every club.
The irony and lack of self awareness in this post is delicious!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I just find these kinds of views so obtuse. Why are so many Albion so ungrateful and entitled these days? Potter was working with one of the smallest budgets in the Premier League. Before he took over, every season we were fighting for survival, often by the skin of our teeth.

Potter took on the project and truly established the club as a Premier League team, despite having a small budget, seeing us finish in our highest ever position, putting the best ever Albion squad in a great position and on a plate for RDZ to finish even higher.

What he did here was incredible. He's a top manager. Luckily for us, RDZ was the right man at the right time, but it would have been fascinating to see how far he would have taken us if he stayed.

Let's just hope he comes back to pick up from where he left of and continue his project here.
I can not wait for this thread to disappear up it's own backside.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

You are right that many want someone with a bit of passion, and that dares to aim high, over someone who tries to minimise expectations, and wants the crowd to keep their mouths shut.
Its way more fun, and I think more likely to achieve something special.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You are right that many want someone with a bit of passion, and that dares to aim high, over someone who tries to minimise expectations, and wants the crowd to keep their mouths shut.
It's noticeable that both Mustafa and Swansman never go to Brighton games (unless Mustafa was lying about giving up his ST on his old profile). Spending all day on the internet isn't quite the same as 3000 away fans, the coaches and the players going potty together at The City Ground.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Like finishing 11th, below Palace who had Hodgson most the season 😂

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
As one of the 28,000 who had a wonderfully fun afternoon booing Chelsea and Potter I would like to point out that were he to become our coach again I would not be throwing a single toy out of my pram. He is not a rapist, murderer or paedophile, these are the people I reserve my hate for. If we win games he could be an ex Palace person for all I care.

Coppell became one of the favourite managers of the 00's amongst some Albion fans... Despite being a Palace legend, falling asleep in his interview, getting us relegated, then f***ing off to Reading for free. I remember cringing when some fans were suggesting him as a candidate for future vacancies.

Potter in comparison did NOTHING wrong, but rather the opposite. He built the greatest ever Albion team, then did what EVERY other manager in his position would do, and left for an insanely rich big 6 club. Yet he seems to be villain number one amongst a vocal few on here. Bizarre.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Potter in comparison did NOTHING wrong, but rather the opposite.
Have you forgot the turgid long periods of no wins and abject performances, the man was struggling, Covid saved his job.
He built the greatest ever Albion team.
No, he did not build the greatest ever Albion team, B&B and the recruitment team did FACT.
then did what EVERY other manager in his position would do, and left for an insanely rich big 6 club.
At the drop of a hat, taking the backroom staff with him.
Yet he seems to be villain number one amongst a vocal few on here. Bizarre.
Because, if he comes back, we cannot trust him, we will know he is only here for "The Easy Life"

Piss off Potter

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Like finishing 11th, below Palace who had Hodgson most the season 😂
The Palace we beat 4-1? Good day that. How did they get on in Europe?

However, if the relationship with RDZ was as bad as is being put about maybe we should have got in first with Glasner using our foolproof succession plans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here