Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Have the Potter fans considered a situation where we haven’t won for the first six games of the season and only scored two goals.

All those on the fence about Potter would now be firmly off it and Bloom once again has to consider searching for a new manager. Over a year out of the game with a PL full of young ambitious managers with new ideas and tactics I can see Potter struggling.
Yes we sure have! We will only lose 5 of the remaining 32 so it's not a big deal ;)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The engagement numbers have been fantastic though, in a period where we'd normally just be discussing Nigel Farage, a transfer rumour started by someone who googled a player for five minutes and what everyone had for dinner. My bonus alone will be worth almost half a Mars Bar and I suspect Bozza will be thanking GPotty personally when he pays the mortgage off.
He will have to keep a bit aside for a potential flounce and insistence on post deletion.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Andy Naylor's article in the Athletic failed to account for this. There's no evidence at all that Potter is even considering a return to Brighton.
This is what makes the thread so bizarre. 30 bazillion posts about whether we should accept Potter's return.

Very few asking "what is in it for him to return?" He's just turned down Ajax, the England job is likely to be available in a month. He's been linked to many bigger jobs. Forget what we would do, it would be a very odd move for him. He wants to take his career forwards.

I can kind of accept the argument that he might want to remain local. But I just don't see him taking a job where he knows he'll be a controversial appointment at best and widely despised at worst.

Even if we offered him the job (which we won't), he would turn it down. Apart from anything else the timings don't work. He's blatantly going to wait to see if the England job becomes available. By the time the FA are looking to recruit, we'll have wanted to get someone in by then.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
This is what makes the thread so bizarre. 30 bazillion posts about whether we should accept Potter's return.

Very few asking "what is in it for him to return?" He's just turned down Ajax, the England job is likely to be available in a month. He's been linked to many bigger jobs. Forget what we would do, it would be a very odd move for him. He wants to take his career forwards.

I can kind of accept the argument that he might want to remain local. But I just don't see him taking a job where he knows he'll be a controversial appointment at best and widely despised at worst.

Even if we offered him the job (which we won't), he would turn it down. Apart from anything else the timings don't work. He's blatantly going to wait to see if the England job becomes available. By the time the FA are looking to recruit, we'll have wanted to get someone in by then.
Perhaps little old Brighton has crept above its station here. Have we become entitled? I'm sure Potter might have some feelings about that!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Bizarre once upon a time the England manager had to be fairly successful 🤣

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Perhaps little old Brighton has crept above its station here. Have we become entitled? I'm sure Potter might have some feelings about that!
I wonder what target the new guy will be set?

Better than Potter's first season, so basically just stay up and get some nice possession stats or better than RDZ's, so basically top five.

:moo:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Good points. I do wonder though, how much of the England job rumours are just paper talk, agent talk, media speculation, etc. His unsuccessful stint at Chelsea, whatever the reasons, has given his reputation a hefty downward push, so the Brighton job may not be as 'below him' as some people think. Whether he thinks that way, of course...........

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Coppell became one of the favourite managers of the 00's amongst some Albion fans... Despite being a Palace legend, falling asleep in his interview, getting us relegated, then f***ing off to Reading for free. I remember cringing when some fans were suggesting him as a candidate for future vacancies.

Potter in comparison did NOTHING wrong, but rather the opposite. He built the greatest ever Albion team, then did what EVERY other manager in his position would do, and left for an insanely rich big 6 club. Yet he seems to be villain number one amongst a vocal few on here. Bizarre.
Yes, thank you for that. I feel my subtle point about Coppell works so much better if you highlight it in a mini lecture coupled with repeating your opinion on Potter once again.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He fits the mould England would need for a transition perfectly. He knows it, they know it, we know it too (just reluctantly).
He fits the profile the FA seem to want, which is someone English, bland in character, and not likely to be exposed to have taken a backhander here or there, or otherwise embarrass the FA.
But I don't think he is right for any national team job, where you get players for short periods of time. Would be funny to see him trying England players in weird positions though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here