Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Dick Knight sacked Dean Wilkins for very good reasons. It turned very sour after a 3-0 mauling at Millwall on Boxing Day with players ringing Radio Sussex afterwards.
I'm happy to answer any questions via pm.
Bas Savage waved goodbye after that game which was very sad! But Wilkins saw out that season for another 5 months - how sour can it have been?!

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I wonder if Bloom and Barber are aware of a lot of the strength of opinion on here about Potter?, (which isnt the whole fan base and is admittedly divided)

I wonder if that could make them more cautious or would they still go for him, if they believed he was best option inspite of any fan discontent? do those fans verbalising reservations factor at all in any decision?

Bloom is obviously universally loved and Barber universally respected too, but on the back of one of the most popuar managers leaving and one of the best seasons football experiences we've ever had, it is a massively risky appointment for the 2 club leaders reputations too. Letting Hughton go, divided but was understandable as it became turgid with no youth breaking through, getting in someone was essential after Potter dumps us for Chelsea, but they let RDZ walk who was willing to stay, if the next manager flops or even has the fans turn on them, that thought surely puts even more pressure than normal to get this one more right than previous appointments imho
I hear this about NSC being largely anti-potter, but I disagree that it's a small sub-section of fans. He was booed ferociously by a vast amount of the Amex crowd when he returned. I'd gauge support for him on that

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I hear this about NSC being largely anti-potter, but I disagree that it's a small sub-section of fans. He was booed ferociously by a vast amount of the Amex crowd when he returned. I'd gauge support for him on that

I booed him at the time, but it was just pantomime.

I don't actually have any hard feelings about Potter whatsoever. He didn't really do anything wrong.

In fact I found myself feeling sorry for him in the end at Chelsea. Of course I'm glad he failed, but when it started affecting his mental health, I just felt sorry for the bloke, especially as he did so much for the Albion.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, returning to the Amex with the team who had raided us - what would anyone expect?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
While whoever is shouting/guiding those on the pitch in blue and white is an important subject, my enthusiasm to support those in our colours will never be diminished.

Dictionary Definitions from Oxford Languages

Happy Clap
/ˈhappy Clapper/
adjective:

1. Never diminshed supporting without ever questioning.

2. Never losing any enthusiasm for those in blue and white even if managed by a man who took them on longest losing streak, dumped them, stole their coaching set up and bad mouthed.

"dippy2449 came in brimming with excitedness and Happy Clapped the lot"

Similar: Licker

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I booed him at the time, but it was just pantomime.

I don't actually have any hard feelings about Potter whatsoever. He didn't really do anything wrong.

In fact I found myself feeling sorry for him in the end at Chelsea. Of course I'm glad he failed, but when it started affecting his mental health, I just felt sorry for the bloke, especially as he did so much for the Albion.
Affecting his mental health??? Guess it must have been tough counting his millions. All this mental health crap is just that, crap.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I just felt sorry for the bloke, especially as he did so much for the Albion.
I think he's uniquely blessed to have been at the club when the recruitment process was firing on all cylinders. He was given some of the finest tools available and he did the absolute minimum with them. The absolute bare minimum and actually was a net negative in my opinion. He was stifling the talents of our players in his boring formation. Potter was very lucky to be our manager before and he'd be incredibly lucky to get the gig again.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I think he's uniquely blessed to have been at the club when the recruitment process was firing on all cylinders. He was given some of the finest tools available and he did the absolute minimum with them. The absolute bare minimum and actually was a net negative in my opinion. He was stifling the talents of our players in his boring formation. Potter was very lucky to be our manager before and he'd be incredibly lucky to get the gig again.

Hard disagree. He developed literally some of the greatest Albion players of all time, from being raw inexperienced youngsters to amongst the best players in the world.

It's why we brought him in, in the first place, for that very reason.

And exactly why we need him, or someone like him, back.

papachris

I wonder if Bloom and Barber are aware of a lot of the strength of opinion on here about Potter?, (which isnt the whole fan base and is admittedly divided)

I wonder if that could make them more cautious or would they still go for him, if they believed he was best option inspite of any fan discontent? do those fans verbalising reservations factor at all in any decision?

Bloom is obviously universally loved and Barber universally respected too, but on the back of one of the most popuar managers leaving and one of the best seasons football experiences we've ever had, it is a massively risky appointment for the 2 club leaders reputations too. Letting Hughton go, divided but was understandable as it became turgid with no youth breaking through, getting in someone was essential after Potter dumps us for Chelsea, but they let RDZ walk who was willing to stay, if the next manager flops or even has the fans turn on them, that thought surely puts even more pressure than normal to get this one more right than previous appointments imho
I think RDZ was only willing to stay on 'his terms' and after he had continually talked about 'the club's policy' during the dismal run in the second half of the season.
Not surprised an agreement wasn't reached. No way any club owner is going to allow the coach/manager dictate to them when they have a tried and trusted method in recruitment for many years.
RDZ was great and exciting, particularly in his first season but he was always going to be moving on quickly. Only reason he didn't get snapped up by one of the big teams is because they didn't like what they saw when times were tough. ( my opinion)

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Hard disagree. He developed literally some of the greatest Albion players of all time, from being raw inexperienced youngsters to amongst the best players in the world.

It's why we brought him in, in the first place, for that very reason.

And exactly why we need him, or someone like him, back.
We absolutely disagree on that. I think he was a huge net negative on players like Solly March, shunting him to wing back. I do not believe he played much of a role in the development of Caicedo or Alexis Mac Allister, other than playing them. I think any manager in world football would have recognised how good those players were in training and would have put them in the team. I think just about any competent manager, and he clearly is a competent manager, could have taken the squad he was generously gifted and got exactly what Potter got out of them. I do not believe any of his very limited success was down to the man himself.

I appreciate people will disagree with that statement and I fully acknowledge I might be doing the man a great disservice. But these are my honest beliefs on this topic.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

The day TB & PB start making sports related decisions based on the feelings of very emotionally fragile fans is the same day the journey to Championship begins.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Alex Crook of Talk Sport stating on X that Potter is a potential replacement for Southgate, for the England job.
Nothing we didn’t know, but interesting that it’s being reported by Crook, at this time.
Basically stating that Potter is holding out for England or Man United. ( seems to put to bed any thoughts of him coming back to Brighton)
So, some good news for a rainy Tuesday!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The day TB & PB start making sports related decisions based on the feelings of very emotionally fragile fans is the same day the journey to Championship begins.
Your own hyperbolic adjectives. Not theirs.

Paul Barber has been very clear that he doesn't even think the FAB is necessary, so they certainly don't want fans telling them what to do. But fan satisfaction is part of the process nevertheless, else Hughton would still be here.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I do not believe he played much of a role in the development of Caicedo or Alexis Mac Allister, other than playing them
He didn't really play Caicedo much honestly. Mostly on the bench in the season before Potter left, only 8 appearances total. He did play every game under Potter the season after though, and then obviously carried on playing under RDZ.

Potter definitely played Alexis a fair bit but Caicedo, not so much.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We absolutely disagree on that. I think he was a huge net negative on players like Solly March, shunting him to wing back. I do not believe he played much of a role in the development of Caicedo or Alexis Mac Allister, other than playing them. I think any manager in world football would have recognised how good those players were in training and would have put them in the team. I think just about any competent manager, and he clearly is a competent manager, could have taken the squad he was generously gifted and got exactly what Potter got out of them. I do not believe any of his very limited success was down to the man himself.

I appreciate people will disagree with that statement and I fully acknowledge I might be doing the man a great disservice. But these are my honest beliefs on this topic.
Completely disagree. Completely revolutionising the way the team played from Chris Hughton's days and then taking the Albion into the top ten for the first time ever, the highest place we'd ever been in, ever - and then say he had very limited success is just flying in the face of facts.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Your own hyperbolic adjectives. Not theirs.

Paul Barber has been very clear that he doesn't even think the FAB is necessary, so they certainly don't want fans telling them what to do. But fan satisfaction is part of the process nevertheless, else Hughton would still be here.

But fan satisfaction is part of the process nevertheless, else BAILEY would still be here.
Corrected 😉

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Still plenty of time to get this next appointment right - whoever it is.

New season is still just over 10 weeks away and with lots of people away on their holly bobs we still have time to do due diligence on TB's preferred candidate.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Still plenty of time to get this next appointment right - whoever it is.

New season is still just over 10 weeks away and with lots of people away on their holly bobs we still have time to do due diligence on TB's preferred candidate.
So bring the manager in mid-August and finalise all transfer business in the last 2 weeks of the window.

An exciting Transfer Deadline Day !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here