Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If Potter is to come back, the emotional gymnastics I will have to go through to turn up and not boo the **** will inevitably make me lose some passion for the club. I had this with Micky Adams return, and I loved Micky Adams, but felt Dick Knight had shafted Wendy Wilkins to do it. For me Wilkins had done exceptionally well with a young and less than stellar side, and we seemed to be improving week on week over the season.
DK made the decision for something other than footballing reasons, maybe thought MA coming back might sell a few more season tickets, but it was a scummy move, and I couldn't love my club quite as much as before because of it. On top of that, MA served up the worst season of football I have witnessed as an Albion fan. It took TB taking over to allow me to be fully supportive again, and I don't want to lose that.
If Potter comes back, he had better perform, I think there is more at stake than next seasons league position if he doesn't.
Spot on

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I’m not convinced that Wendy had the dressing room. In fact, I am told he didn’t.
on the Potter front - you might just have to put the big boy pants on and deal with it.
Yeah, the way I will deal with it is to feel less passionate about the club, thought that was clear.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would respectfully suggest that you stop being so precious.

People generally make decisions for the right reasons, with the information they have at the time. Falling out of love with your football club because someone makes a decision that doesn't go the way they hoped it would, is quite odd behaviour. Unless of course you have never ever made a single mistake in your own career, of course, in which case crack on.
What you are saying is, I should care less, and what I am saying is Potter coming back will likely make me care less, but I would prefer to keep on caring more. I have made plenty of mistakes, and some of them have cost me good relations with others, it isn't weird, it's human, you disrespect something someone else cares about and they think less of you.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If Potter is to come back, the emotional gymnastics I will have to go through to turn up and not boo the **** will inevitably make me lose some passion for the club. I had this with Micky Adams return, and I loved Micky Adams, but felt Dick Knight had shafted Wendy Wilkins to do it. For me Wilkins had done exceptionally well with a young and less than stellar side, and we seemed to be improving week on week over the season.
DK made the decision for something other than footballing reasons, maybe thought MA coming back might sell a few more season tickets, but it was a scummy move, and I couldn't love my club quite as much as before because of it. On top of that, MA served up the worst season of football I have witnessed as an Albion fan. It took TB taking over to allow me to be fully supportive again, and I don't want to lose that.
If Potter comes back, he had better perform, I think there is more at stake than next seasons league position if he doesn't.
Perfectly summed up.

There could never be a divorce option, Albion is in the blood, but sleep in the spare room and dont talk to me a while is a possibility.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Unlikely to return would be my guess
As soon as were losing at home, whole ground can sing, you're only here for an easy life etc
In other news Pochettino is clearly back in the UK for a few days re Soccer Aid at Stamford Bridge

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Agreed, and very much so in terms of the Wilkins decision… he was getting unreal levels out of youth players who completely disappeared after his tenure… Sam Rents et al … I was really shocked when he was ‘removed’ although I do remember some noise about Wilkins as a coach, not being the best in terms of people management… but Adam’s return was truly woeful… let it be said again:

Never go back.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I just think with Potter. How much time would the fans give him?

Because I can see a situation where we appoint him and I dutifully find it in me to give him a polite clap as he is our manager and he's just been presented to the crowd

But if we lose our first home game two nil to a promoted team despite absolute domination and 30 shots at goal, i'm turning against him

If we're properly pasted by City first day of the season, i'm turning.

If he puts Gross left back and their winger runs riot, i'm turning

If he does another ham fisted press conference where he manages to insult the whole fan base, i'm turning

In fact, pretty much everything has to go right for me to keep my feelings of antipathy at bay. But another manager, any other, I would give loads more time than this. I guess i'm not alone

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Unlikely to return would be my guess
As soon as were losing at home, whole ground can sing, you're only here for an easy life etc
In other news Pochettino is clearly back in the UK for a few days re Soccer Aid at Stamford Bridge
I wonder if Bloom and Barber are aware of a lot of the strength of opinion on here about Potter?, (which isnt the whole fan base and is admittedly divided)

I wonder if that could make them more cautious or would they still go for him, if they believed he was best option inspite of any fan discontent? do those fans verbalising reservations factor at all in any decision?

Bloom is obviously universally loved and Barber universally respected too, but on the back of one of the most popuar managers leaving and one of the best seasons football experiences we've ever had, it is a massively risky appointment for the 2 club leaders reputations too. Letting Hughton go, divided but was understandable as it became turgid with no youth breaking through, getting in someone was essential after Potter dumps us for Chelsea, but they let RDZ walk who was willing to stay, if the next manager flops or even has the fans turn on them, that thought surely puts even more pressure than normal to get this one more right than previous appointments imho

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agreed, and very much so in terms of the Wilkins decision… he was getting unreal levels out of youth players who completely disappeared after his tenure… Sam Rents et al … I was really shocked when he was ‘removed’ although I do remember some noise about Wilkins as a coach, not being the best in terms of people management… but Adam’s return was truly woeful… let it be said again:

Never go back.
That was actually one of my favourite seasons supporting the club. How Wilkins made a decent team out of those willing, but limited, local lads I don't know. It was an absolute credit to him.

Then Adams came, promptly got in about 76 loan players, all of them utter gash and told them to hoof it. Woeful.

I wouldn't say never go back, but you need a very good reason to. With Potter there isn't one

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think that is one for the next manager.

But as far as Igor and Lamptey go, I have seen no evidence that the Brazilian is as good as JPvH and Dunk (that is the level we need) and no evidence the Englishman can start more than a dozen or so games per season.
I think it's why the last manager left. Spend a season getting a player to understand what you want from him, and then when he is playing the way you want, he is off to Chelsea. I dont see that changing, unless and until we have sponsorships that might allow us to pay something closer to what the big 6 pay. I agree that Igor doesn't seem to be quite right for us and that Lamptey seems doomed to be a player that breaks down frequently, but Lamptey could prove us wrong yet on that.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I wonder if Bloom and Barber are aware of a lot of the strength of opinion on here about Potter?, (which isnt the whole fan base and is admittedly divided)

Of course they will be aware of the range of fans views on various subjects, including this.

Will it affect the outcome? Absolutely not. They will be fully aware that fans are fickle as f***. Once Potter goes on a decent run and pushing up the table, all will be forgotten and the same fans who oppose him will be singing his name.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
The Potter rumour carries much much more baggage for Brighton fans so if he’s not in the running what’s the harm in killing it? TB is an Albion fan he must know how anti many fans are, why let it run?
The problem with that is your "main Target" may then reasonably assume that they are number 1 so can play hardball over the contract issues.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dick Knight sacked Dean Wilkins for very good reasons. It turned very sour after a 3-0 mauling at Millwall on Boxing Day with players ringing Radio Sussex afterwards.
I'm happy to answer any questions via pm.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
While whoever is shouting/guiding those on the pitch in blue and white is an important subject, my enthusiasm to support those in our colours will never be diminished.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I just think with Potter. How much time would the fans give him?

Because I can see a situation where we appoint him and I dutifully find it in me to give him a polite clap as he is our manager and he's just been presented to the crowd

But if we lose our first home game two nil to a promoted team despite absolute domination and 30 shots at goal, i'm turning against him

If we're properly pasted by City first day of the season, i'm turning.

If he puts Gross left back and their winger runs riot, i'm turning

If he does another ham fisted press conference where he manages to insult the whole fan base, i'm turning

In fact, pretty much everything has to go right for me to keep my feelings of antipathy at bay. But another manager, any other, I would give loads more time than this. I guess i'm not alone

I think a lot of our fans would see it like this. He would really have to hit the ground running. A few bad results and things could turn very toxic.

Personally, I'd be willing to cut him some slack. He is a very good coach and definitely one of the better options out there.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Of course they will be aware of the range of fans views on various subjects, including this.

Will it affect the outcome? Absolutely not. They will be fully aware that fans are fickle as f***. Once Potter goes on a decent run and pushing up the table, all will be forgotten and the same fans who oppose him will be singing his name.
I would not sing his name. I will only sing about ‘Tony Bloom’s blue and white army’
I won’t boo Potter as that would have a negative impact on the team but I won’t think GP is the returned messiah or prodigal son either.
If appointed he’ll f@ck off somewhere else in the next couple of years and Tony can pocket another £10/20m IDC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here