Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's very unlikely to be Potter.

But if its Russell Martin, you're all going to be on your knees begging for Potter by November.
No,
No we won't.

If its Russell Martin and he's shit, we'll be saying Martin needs to go and another manager brought in who still isn't Potter.

There's no circumstances that I want him back.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It's totally regressive as most people on here know from our history.

Alan Mullery got us to the top division for the first time, but when he came back he accelerated the decline that eventually saw us lose our home. Mickey Adams helped us towards two titles in two seasons, but when he came back he nearly took us back into the bottom division and was a total disaster.

It almost never works and Brighton fans know this. You're just not one.
In my realm of wild, wild fantasy I think there's a chance Tony Bloom really won't put too much weight into what Alan Mullery did or didn't do half a century ago, and instead look at the situations uniquely rather than basing his choices on various dumb baseless tropes like "returns never work out".

Look at David Moyes returning to West Ham after being gone for six months, and winning titles with them. Redknapp at Portsmouth, Zidane and Real Madrid.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No,
No we won't.

If its Russell Martin and he's shit, we'll be saying Martin needs to go and another manager brought in who still isn't Potter.

There's no circumstances that I want him back.
The year is 2035. After a decade of mixed success for the Albion, visiting Europe twice more and winning the League Cup but recently suffering relegation, the aging coach Adam Lallana has just got us promoted back to the promised land and has thus been poached by Liverpool.

Someone on NSC starts a 'should we look at Potter again?' thread. Probably @Flounce or @Han Solo

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In my realm of wild, wild fantasy I think there's a chance Tony Bloom really won't put too much weight into what Alan Mullery did or didn't do half a century ago, and instead look at the situations uniquely rather than basing his choices on various dumb baseless tropes like "returns never work out".

Look at David Moyes returning to West Ham after being gone for six months, and winning titles with them. Redknapp at Portsmouth, Zidane and Real Madrid.

Moyes won the Conference League but nearly took them down the same season. He played awful football and most West Ham fans hated him.

Redknapp nearly killed Pompey as a football club.

They're not great examples.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
The year is 2035. After a decade of mixed success for the Albion, visiting Europe twice more and winning the League Cup but recently suffering relegation, the aging coach Adam Lallana has just got us promoted back to the promised land and has thus been poached by Liverpool.

Someone on NSC starts a 'should we look at Potter again?' thread. Probably @Flounce or @Han Solo

Not much chance he’d leave four times CL winners and current league champions Southampton who took him on after Martin was poached by the Albion and is now the longest serving PL manager though, we can but dream :smile:

Two can play stupid :wink:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Moyes won the Conference League but nearly took them down the same season. He played awful football and most West Ham fans hated him.

Redknapp nearly killed Pompey as a football club.

They're not great examples.
Moyes won a title (since when do you give a shit about 'awful' football?) and Redknapp destroyed the club through being allowed to bring in a bunch of expensive footballers every transfer window.
Basically what I've seen a bunch of fans wish for us. Good stuff, no?

Wonder what percentage of long term supporters compared to recent/younger supporters are for or against the possibility of Potter returning?. Reason I ask is when it was announced Roberto was leaving a long time fan and fiend straight away said only 1 name and it was Potter as he completely transformed the playing style and put us where we are now.
My partner however, a new supporter since we met 2 years ago and comes to games with me and loves it, she had a pop up on her newsreel last night and her exact words to me were" GRAHAM POTTER!! No way, he can do 1 after he left for bloody Chelsea, surely we won't have him back?. "
I'm curious insofar as long time supporters since Goldstone to young and newbies since Amex, what the percentage of absolutely NOT Potter is?
Btw I'm meh with Potter and supported since 1974!

Last edited:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Wonder what percentage of long term supporters compared to recent/younger supporters are for or against the possibility of Potter returning?. Reason I ask is when it was announced Roberto was leaving a long time fan and fiend straight away said only 1 name and it was Potter as he completely transformed the playing style and put us where we are now.
My partner however, a new supporter since we met 2 years ago and comes to games with me and loves it, she had a pop up on her newsreel last night and her exact words to me were" GRAHAM POTTER!! No way, he can do 1 after he left for bloody Chelsea, surely we won't have him back?. "
I'm curious insofar as long time supporters since Goldstone to young and newbies since Amex, what the percentage of absolutely NOT Potter is?

Don’t bother trying to post a poll to find out as GB will instantly merge it with whatever other Potter thread takes his fancy. He is the self appointed anti Potter police who also happens to be a long term fan.

Although it seems a poll on this subject already exists and is nearly unanimous against, no breakdown of support length but I reckon the majority are long time fans voting against a return.

The two guys I go with are both very anti, I’m a bit torn but would prefer him back to most of the names being floated. All of us long term fans.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Under Potter cup runs didn’t exist. Even CH managed a cup semi along with RDZ.
Your boy fecking hopeless.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
18% Yes, 61% no according to the NSC poll.

NSC tends to have older, longer-term fans with long memories though. I would wager it is closer to 50/50 among the wider fanbase.

I don't want Potter back, but if I were to have drawn up a list when RDZ left he'd have been on it somewhere, probably around 10th place. So it all depends on who else is still available and interested, on whether or not I would drop down to him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Don’t bother trying to post a poll to find out as GB will instantly merge it with whatever other Potter thread takes his fancy. He is the self appointed anti Potter police who also happens to be a long term fan.

Although it seems a poll on this subject already exists and is nearly unanimous against, no breakdown of support length but I reckon the majority are long time fans voting against a return
I'm pretty sure NSC is covering all bases Potter wise at the moment, and I'm certain that we had a number of complaints about duplicate threads and people using the 'ignore thread' function.

It would be really helpful if people could introduce their slight nuances into extant threads on the same subject. Cheers.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I'm looking forward to seeing Potters new look as manager for us.

I predict shaved head and big beard, Bruno style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here