Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
If we were interested in getting Potter back, with him apparently still living in Brighton/hove and he accepted wouldn't it be announced by now. It took him less then 48 hours to jump ship to Chelsea.
Not even that long I recall. Was on a train to London Town before you could say "it is what it is"....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When they were sacked first time around. Not when they'd done a Judas job on the club and taken half the backroom
staff and best players with them. I think there's a difference here.

Bournemouths greatest ever manager, Eddie Howe, f***ed off to better things at Burnley after two seasons in charge, but then came back and spent eight incredibly successful seasons with them.

Others have gone back with differing degrees of success second time round, can think of Mourinho at Chelsea, Keegan at Newcastle, Rodgers Celtic, Dalglish Liverpool, Coppell at Palace, Jones at Luton. Must be many. Micky at Brighton even though he was shite second time around.

To think of it Horton, Adams and Coppell all walked out on us part way through a season for better jobs, but none of them get the grief that Potter does.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
You are crossing a line here really, no one left anyone on the floor, I don't know what you are insinuating.
Sorry, I see it could be interpreted in a bad way. It really wasn't a dig at anyone but the sillyness of our conversations. I meant that headline as a "how would the world be turned upside down if GP arrived?" - not insinuating that someone left anyone hurt (which would indeed be crossing all sorts of lines). I read what you wrote about the incident and it sounded like everyone from the bigshots at our club to the fans, your mates and yourself handled it very well.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
RDZ has left the club on sound footing also, so nothing less for Potter than European football then? If he was to return.
If he comes back then yes that has to be the target but as RDZ found out, it’s not a given, even if you stamp your feet and have a meltdown when things don’t work out :wink:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bournemouths greatest ever manager, Eddie Howe, f***ed off to better things at Burnley after two seasons in charge, but then came back and spent eight incredibly successful seasons with them.

Others have gone back with differing degrees of success second time round, can think of Mourinho at Chelsea, Keegan at Newcastle, Rodgers Celtic, Dalglish Liverpool, Coppell at Palace, Jones at Luton. Must be many. Micky at Brighton even though he was shite second time around.

To think of it Horton, Adams and Coppell all walked out on us part way through a season for better jobs, but none of them get the grief that Potter does.
Howe relegated. Bmuff this board is losing it.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Sorry, I see it could be interpreted in a bad way. It really wasn't a dig at anyone but the sillyness of our conversations. I meant that headline as a "how would the world be turned upside down if GP arrived?" - not insinuating that someone left anyone hurt (which would indeed be crossing all sorts of lines). I read what you wrote about the incident and it sounded like everyone from the bigshots at our club to the fans, your mates and yourself handled it very well.
Good glad it wasn't meant in that way. No worries.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
F
Potter’s reign blurs in to the continued possession style of RDZ. I‘m looking at the run of results in the 22/23 season before he left, as a reminder. Impressive set of results but puzzling myself why the overriding memory is how useless his tactics were at Fulham‘s 2-1 defeat.
f***ing Fulham. Haven't beaten them in 8 premier league matches despite them getting relegated twice in this time., Hughton 1 draw 1 defeat, Potter 2 draws 1 defeat, RDZ 1 draw 2 defeats.

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
If you don't think Howe was a success at Bournemouth you're the one losing it.
Guess it depends on your qualification and criteria of success.

Undoubtedly he did an amazing job to take them from League 2 to the Premier League. Once they were there though it was a mixed bag and after 2 more seasons of improvement finishing 16th & 9th it hit a downhill slope- 12th, 14th and 18th (relegated).

My takeaway would be, good coach? yes elite coach? probably not

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
With a much better medical team, good young players returning from loan, our current first team youngsters maturing more, experience working within the setup already gained and 8 less European games next season there is no reason Potter should not finish a fair bit higher than we did this season.
Agree - but the PL will be stronger next season.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
The way that Potter f***ed off the moment Chelsea fluttered their eyelashes at him was, in my humble opinion, disrespectful to The Albion.
I don't like people or things that I care deeply about being disrespected, so, for that reason, I wouldn't be happy to see Potter come back .
Let me start by saying i also would not be enamoured by a Potter return but i am curious to know whether you also saw RDZ's body language and statements this season as disrespectful because i am sure i did.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Potter’s reign blurs in to the continued possession style of RDZ. I‘m looking at the run of results in the 22/23 season before he left, as a reminder. Impressive set of results but puzzling myself why the overriding memory is how useless his tactics were at Fulham‘s 2-1 defeat.
Unlike the brilliant tactical performance at Craven Cottage this season...

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Let me start by saying i also would not be enamoured by a Potter return but i am curious to know whether you also saw RDZ's body language and statements this season as disrespectful because i am sure i did.
I think a lot more was made of it than was necessary, I think a lot was lost in translation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here