Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Dick Knight goes, which member of the Board should replace him as Chairman?

These are the current members of the Board. Choose the one you want.

• Martin Perry

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Ken Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Bloom

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Derek Chapman

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Robert Comer

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I never realised that was the choice

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
As far as I am aware a "chairman" doesnt have to be a shareholder. I could be wrong.

You are correct. The Chairman is usually elected by the board, but the decision is effectively ratified by shareholders. There is no necessity for the Chairman to be a shareholder. [/quote]

How I understand it is that none of the other board members want to be in the "firing" line, so its DK (as chairman) to fulfill that duty.

There's no evidence to disagree with you, Bloom Senior is running his business, Martin Perry is focussing on Falmer, Derek Chapman is trying to stop Adenstar going into administration.

I would guess that Mcghee going, Wilkins going and Thicky going were all board decisions, but its Knights job to do the hiring and firing. As chairman he would have some input of course, perhaps keeping thicky for as long as we did for example - but I firmly believe its the board behind all decisions. DK is merely the "messenger" or public face.

Again correct, all the directors who attend meetings would have a say in decisions. They would also listen to the views of key shareholders. If people think DK should go then the rest of the board should logically go too, and of course they are likely to withdraw their funding from the club.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nobody is hounding out anybody.

I tell you what gets on my tits, it's a Chairman consistently f***ing about with managers and so obviously out of his depth, but everyone wearing DK goggles because he's done a great job before.

This is business for f*** sack, in the City, if the top man fucks up too many times, he gets sacked (obviously not appropriate for us) or moved to President, with his pride and stakeholding somewhat intact.

You have to take the emotion out of it, and do what's makes sense for the future of the club. Of course, most people can't handle that part, but it needs to happen all the same.
Superb post and spot on as its about time many on here stopped rolling back the years to 1997 all the bloody time.This club needs to be run properly and not like a non league club like its run,so marketing,ticketing and so much more needs massive improvements fast.:glare:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I notice that Kight's shareholding outvotes the Bloom's combined shareholding.

and who is this William john brown with over 15% of the company?
Think, he is/was a big player at Lloyds of London, used to live near Henfield,
I stand to be corrected if wrong:shrug:

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Lets face it,we have tried changing managers a number of times, it has not worked because they were handicapped by a chairman who had run short of cash,you have only to think of Steve Coppell who could have kept us in the Championship League,with the necessary financial backing.I note that from time to time we read that we should support Knight because he saved the club from going out of existance,but the facts are approximately 11 years on we are on the brink of relegation to Div.2,after probably three years of the worst football we can remember. I feel now is the time to try Plan B,
because support is dropping off and will only worsen even if we should survive in Div.1.
The Board should announce that they are prepared to step down if a group with real financial backing is prepared to take over.This should have been done when it was realised that the present Board could not afford to save us from relegation from the Championship, but its the only chance we have of getting out of the mess we are in, its got to be worth a try because the best alternative is continuing in Div1, or dropping out of the league.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
on NSC, maybe. But you don't vote for the Chairman.

As of 31 August 2008, these are:-

Harry Richard Knight 1,602,500 23.02%
William John Brown 1,100,000 15.80%
Anthony Grant Bloom 850,000 12.21%
Pig City Incorporated Limited (Norman Cook) 750,000 10.77%
Kevin Griffiths 582,000 8.36%
Raymond Alexander Bloom 535,000 7.68%
Friday Ad Holdings Ltd 500,000 7.18%
Derek Leonard Chapman 460,750 6.62%
Michael John Hastilow 250,000 3.59%
Robert Leonard Pinnock 142,000 2.04%
J Gold 100,000 1.44%
John Edward Vickers 50,000 0.72%
Joseph David Hirschel 15,000 0.22%
Edward Norman David 10,000 0.14%
Peter McDonnell 10,000 0.14%
John Town 5,000 0.07%
Martin John Perry 130 0.00%

Not all of them are necessarily able to sit on the Board of a football club, let alone be elected Chairman.

Do I make this 6,961,338 shares.

I would estimate their current value at about £1 each.

More interestingly, who is the J. Gold who owns 100,000 shares? Any relation to a certain Birmingham City Director? :ohmy:

Dont think so.

I think its the John Gold who used to be the manager of the fine emporium in Queens Road that is The Seagulls Shop

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In fairness I am sure that the club would welcome any major investor(s) and the size of that investment could be expected to determine the level of influence. Unfortunately the economic climate over the last few years hasn't lent itself to serious investment AT OUR LEVEL in the football hierarchy and it doesn't appear likely to improve in the near future.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The Board should announce that they are prepared to step down if a group with real financial backing is prepared to take over.This should have been done when it was realised that the present Board could not afford to save us from relegation from the Championship, but its the only chance we have of getting out of the mess we are in, its got to be worth a try because the best alternative is continuing in Div1, or dropping out of the league.
Knight has gone on record a number of times to say that he would be prepared to bring on board other investors who are interested, or who even want to take over provided it's not to turn the club into one man's plaything. He's not exactly been overwhelmed with offers though, has he? Or do you know any different?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Lets face it,we have tried changing managers a number of times, it has not worked because they were handicapped by a chairman who had run short of cash,you have only to think of Steve Coppell who could have kept us in the Championship League,with the necessary financial backing.I note that from time to time we read that we should support Knight because he saved the club from going out of existance,but the facts are approximately 11 years on we are on the brink of relegation to Div.2,after probably three years of the worst football we can remember. I feel now is the time to try Plan B,
because support is dropping off and will only worsen even if we should survive in Div.1.

What a load of delusional shite.

WHO precisely is going to pay the board the £15million they have already ploughed into the club, AND THEN presumably invest a similar amount in the new stadium and players, with ZERO hope of ever getting their money back?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Most clubs can't attract the investment they need, but some clubs do. I can see 3 categories of club:

1. Small, unglamorous clubs that will always be in the shit - i.e. Chesterfield, Wrexham, Cheltenham
2. Big club with massive debts too costly to bail out - i.e. Leeds, Southampton, Charlton
3. 'Sexy' clubs with manageable debts - i.e. QPR, MK Dons, Hull, Swansea.

I'd put Brighton in the latter category. We've got a catchment area like Hull, a glamorous location like QPR and new stadium planning permission like MK Dons. So whilst it's never going to be easy attracting investors I think this club is in a much better position than most clubs, and anyone ruling out the possibility of a serious investor would be hasty.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Most clubs can't attract the investment they need, but some clubs do. I can see 3 categories of club:

1. Small, unglamorous clubs that will always be in the shit - i.e. Chesterfield, Wrexham, Cheltenham
2. Big club with massive debts too costly to bail out - i.e. Leeds, Southampton, Charlton
3. 'Sexy' clubs with manageable debts - i.e. QPR, MK Dons, Hull, Swansea.

I'd put Brighton in the latter category. We've got a catchment area like Hull, a glamorous location like QPR and new stadium planning permission like MK Dons. So whilst it's never going to be easy attracting investors I think this club is in a much better position than most clubs, and anyone ruling out the possibility of a serious investor would be hasty.

1. How do you define 'investor'?
2. The last time I went to Loftus Road it was a shithole, I'd rather live in Hull!

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton

egg-on-face1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here