Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Dick Knight goes, which member of the Board should replace him as Chairman?

These are the current members of the Board. Choose the one you want.

• Martin Perry

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Ken Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Bloom

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Derek Chapman

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Robert Comer

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I never realised that was the choice

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for that insightful comment Lord B, as usual, I see you still have you Dick Knight goggles on.

Dick is rightly a legend at this club, but the fact is he as chairman, he has made cock up after cock up and needs to go. He has brought us almost to the promised land, and now all that is threatened by his actions involving the last three managers of this great club of ours.

In particular, the treatment of Wilkins and the timing of the departure of Adams show that his judgement is just not there. Of course others will say that he is just a mouthpiece and it's the collective on the board that make these decisions, but that is rubbish, he is Chairman, and like the manager, should be accountable for his actions.

Business is littered with examples of senior management who are able to bring a business a certain way to where they need to go, but are not able to complete the job, there is no shame in that.

It is my opinion that who should replace him is NOT as important as him leaving. I'm sure Martyn and the board can figure out the replacement manager without Dick's input this time around. I do NOT want to see Dick leave the club, perhaps a President role, and maybe he can cut the tape when Falmer opens, but i truly believe that Dick has run his course, and that we need to advertise for a Businessman to take over the job by the start of next season, with Perry as acting chair. Of course MP has his work cut out, but as I said, replacing Dick, is more important right now, and we do not have to rush to find his replacement.

I have absolute respect for what Dick has done for us, and will never for get it, but he is catagorically NOT the person to take us to the next stage, in my opinion.

Horray some one thinking with their head and not their heart.

:bowdown:

D

Deleted member 2719

I vote for any board member who could re-hire Wilkins, and not have fired him in the first place.

NOT that DW would come back. They took away the house he built from rubble, demolished it and built a rickety old coalshed in its' place.
He would rather be given a new pile of rubble, I'd imagine.

Be careful NMH people don't like to hear the Truth, Dean only had to fit the Double glazing and loft Insulation and we would have been very cosy now.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
This debate is pointless. Which was my point in starting it.

Doesn't seem pointless to me, as far as your concerned.

The last time you cast slurs about someone involved with the Albion, you managed a character assasination of Dean Wilkins on behalf of Dick Knight.

Now it seems to me, your next target is the Blooms.........again, presumably on behalf of Dick Knight.

Does he pay you to do this...?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe I'm being a bit dense here, but would the next chairman have to be currently sitting on the board? Does one have to be an investor in the club to be a member of the board? Can the board not employ anyone they like to be chairman making him a non-financially contributing member of the board?

If that is the case, surely this argument about which of the current members would replace DK/can't replace him cause none of them want it is a tad redundant.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Maybe the shareholder with the most money is already the one who is effectively imposing his will on the Board?

And when I say "effectively", I don't necessarily mean beneficially.
Ok, so we're talking about Tony Bloom?

In what way is he doing this? If it is he who has been the primary financial backer of the club he is surely entitled to his say. Is he coercing board members into wanting managers sacked? Is he interfering with the process of getting a new manager? Did he not want Jim Gannon, would he prefer Barry Lloyd and Gary Stevens, what?

The last time you cast slurs about someone involved with the Albion, you managed a character assasination of Dean Wilkins on behalf of Dick Knight.

Now it seems to me, your next target is the Blooms.........again, presumably on behalf of Dick Knight.

Good grief!

Apart from saying 'Hello' to him at the Falmer ceremony, I haven't spoken to Dick Knight all season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks for that insightful comment Lord B, as usual, I see you still have you Dick Knight goggles on.

Dick is rightly a legend at this club, but the fact is he as chairman, he has made cock up after cock up and needs to go. He has brought us almost to the promised land, and now all that is threatened by his actions involving the last three managers of this great club of ours.

In particular, the treatment of Wilkins and the timing of the departure of Adams show that his judgement is just not there. Of course others will say that he is just a mouthpiece and it's the collective on the board that make these decisions, but that is rubbish, he is Chairman, and like the manager, should be accountable for his actions.

Business is littered with examples of senior management who are able to bring a business a certain way to where they need to go, but are not able to complete the job, there is no shame in that.

It is my opinion that who should replace him is NOT as important as him leaving. I'm sure Martyn and the board can figure out the replacement manager without Dick's input this time around. I do NOT want to see Dick leave the club, perhaps a President role, and maybe he can cut the tape when Falmer opens, but i truly believe that Dick has run his course, and that we need to advertise for a Businessman to take over the job by the start of next season, with Perry as acting chair. Of course MP has his work cut out, but as I said, replacing Dick, is more important right now, and we do not have to rush to find his replacement.

I have absolute respect for what Dick has done for us, and will never for get it, but he is catagorically NOT the person to take us to the next stage, in my opinion.

:clap: Finally someone with some sense on this board. Anyone with any business acumen can see that Dick Knight has run his course as chairman of this club. Everyone in business knows someone who has clung on for far too long and made a balls up of it, largely because no one had the nerve to tell him what he was doing. The good leaders step back at the right time and let the club move on, the bad ones stay on until they have undone all the good work they have done. Dick is in serious danger of doing the latter.

Move on, get a professional to run the club. They don't have to be a shareholder, I have worked under many chairman who were not shareholders of the company. What we need is a new face of BHA who represents the board and shareholders. Sadly Dick no longer fits the bill.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
That would be great hound out the last 3 managers and now lets hound out the Chairmen. Our fans are starting to get RIGHT ON MY TITS!

What he said..............and when it goes even more belly up who do we get rid of next.............ah yes THE TEA LADY...............Jeeeesss

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
on NSC, maybe. But you don't vote for the Chairman.

As of 31 August 2008, these are:-

Harry Richard Knight 1,602,500 23.02%
William John Brown 1,100,000 15.80%
Anthony Grant Bloom 850,000 12.21%
Pig City Incorporated Limited (Norman Cook) 750,000 10.77%
Kevin Griffiths 582,000 8.36%
Raymond Alexander Bloom 535,000 7.68%
Friday Ad Holdings Ltd 500,000 7.18%
Derek Leonard Chapman 460,750 6.62%
Michael John Hastilow 250,000 3.59%
Robert Leonard Pinnock 142,000 2.04%
J Gold 100,000 1.44%
John Edward Vickers 50,000 0.72%
Joseph David Hirschel 15,000 0.22%
Edward Norman David 10,000 0.14%
Peter McDonnell 10,000 0.14%
John Town 5,000 0.07%
Martin John Perry 130 0.00%

Not all of them are necessarily able to sit on the Board of a football club, let alone be elected Chairman.

DK will get it al sorted, if not I would vote the Friday Ad holdings, they have the PR machine (the Friday Add) to wheel and deal players better than Rednap, they probably get discount at Topolinos which would save fortunes on all the manager comings and goings. They could advertise the club for free and start a sports section to rival all the lies told by the Argus.

All the staff could rotate the position of Chairman weekly so we could all demand they stand down or leave after every loss, pleasing the unhappy fans, everyones a winner.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
:clap: Finally someone with some sense on this board. Anyone with any business acumen can see that Dick Knight has run his course as chairman of this club. Everyone in business knows someone who has clung on for far too long and made a balls up of it, largely because no one had the nerve to tell him what he was doing. The good leaders step back at the right time and let the club move on, the bad ones stay on until they have undone all the good work they have done. Dick is in serious danger of doing the latter.

Move on, get a professional to run the club. They don't have to be a shareholder, I have worked under many chairman who were not shareholders of the company. What we need is a new face of BHA who represents the board and shareholders. Sadly Dick no longer fits the bill.

Anyone with any business acumen wouldn't touch the Albion with a bargepole.

What exactly do you mean by a 'professional'? David Bellotti, Karen Brady, Ken Bates?

Sadly I have to agree with this post. No matter how many times Lord B has or hasn't met Knight this season he is certainly coming across as DK's snidey whispering assassin and I find it all quite creepy and sad. Surely you are above that Lord B?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Sadly for all your consternation, the Board of Directors and the shareholders disagree with you, and are perfectly happy for Dick to continue as chairman.

Can someone point me in the direction of this snideyness? I haven't seen it yet.

Previous posts hinting at problems with our former manager. There are whole threads on this if you can be bothered to search, I can't.

I would also add that starting this thread is quite snidey. It is clearly saying don't knock DK because there is no one else, well who says a replacement has to come from the current board?

And for the record, I do not want DK to step down, despite a series of very poor decisions.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As far as I am aware a "chairman" doesnt have to be a shareholder. I could be wrong.

How I understand it is that none of the other board members want to be in the "firing" line, so its DK (as chairman) to fulfill that duty.

I would guess that Mcghee going, Wilkins going and Thicky going were all board decisions, but its Knights job to do the hiring and firing. As chairman he would have some input of course, perhaps keeping thicky for as long as we did for example - but I firmly believe its the board behind all decisions. DK is merely the "messenger" or public face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here