Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Dick Knight goes, which member of the Board should replace him as Chairman?

These are the current members of the Board. Choose the one you want.

• Martin Perry

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Ken Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Bloom

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Derek Chapman

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Robert Comer

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I never realised that was the choice

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that it is just a case of DK going as chairman although he has made a pigs ear of the appointment of a new manager. It appears to me that the board are not all singing from the same hymn sheet as some want to prove their point and push for Mr A and others want Mr B I think that they have all got to sit down bang their heads together and come up with an agreed course of action to secure the man to manage the team.

I was speaking to a man today who was in the board room at Millwall, as a guest, and he said that the language and behaviour of some of the Blooms made him ashamed to be a Brighton supporter. I dont know I wasnt there.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
That would be great hound out the last 3 managers and now lets hound out the Chairmen. Our fans are starting to get RIGHT ON MY TITS!

Nobody is hounding out anybody.

I tell you what gets on my tits, it's a Chairman consistently f***ing about with managers and so obviously out of his depth, but everyone wearing DK goggles because he's done a great job before.

This is business for f*** sack, in the City, if the top man fucks up too many times, he gets sacked (obviously not appropriate for us) or moved to President, with his pride and stakeholding somewhat intact.

You have to take the emotion out of it, and do what's makes sense for the future of the club. Of course, most people can't handle that part, but it needs to happen all the same.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
As someone who has worked for privately run companies for 21 years in London, I can confirm that it actually happens quite a lot. I have seen it happen on numerous occasions where the Chairman builds a company up to a certain level, but can't then take the next step.

1. How much do you think this chairman should be paid? DK is not paid a penny.
2. What is 'the next step'
3. What similarities do a loss making football club that is subsidised by the Chairman and his fellow directors have with all the companies you have worked for?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
1. How much do you think this chairman should be paid? DK is not paid a penny.
2. What is 'the next step'
3. What similarities do a loss making football club that is subsidised by the Chairman and his fellow directors have with all the companies you have worked for?

When it comes down to it, it's all about making key decisions under pressure. That is what any Chairman, no matter what type of company they run, is judged by.

What difference does it make about salary? Dick is getting too many decisions badly wrong, and that needs to stop. If we can pay that muppet of a Marketing Director all that cash, then I'd much rather spend that on a Chairman who was able to better take the key decisions that define the success of the the club.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
The sensible decision for a chairman would be to encourage the remaining board members to put this company into liquidation, as it clearly has no chance of making money for the shareholders. Is that what your 'city boy' would do?

Surf 'n' Turf

Sep 21, 2008
Nobody is hounding out anybody.

I tell you what gets on my tits, it's a Chairman consistently f***ing about with managers and so obviously out of his depth, but everyone wearing DK goggles because he's done a great job before.

The reason he is f*cking about is fan pressure. Wilkins didn't have this wonderful surge of support behind him, that I guess you seem to think he had? The football last year was shit and 7th flattered us and the attendances under him were poor.

McGhee would possibly still be here if the fans hadn't turned on him and we'd probably be better off now.

As for Adams first time around, along with Coppell and Taylor? They went on there way, Adams return has back fired, but you can't expect Knight to step down because of that.

We need to get someone in and pray he can turn it around quickly...! A new chairman now is not what is needed, its a relegation battle!!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Says everything about our Board of Directors really.

Martin Perry.......virtually no shares, not a football man,

Ken Brown.........no shares.....conspicuous by his absence.

Ray Bloom.........has money, but seems to be supported by his....? nephew/son, and.....according to you....... is not interested in being Chairman. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Derek Chapman.........busy with his construction company.

Robert Comer...........no shares, accountant, very nice man.......and a Spurs supporter.

That leaves Dick Knight....retired from his business ?.....doing the full-time job of running the club........and the full-time job of over-seeing the Falmer project.......on a part-time basis, with his place in Spain.

In the now, long distant past, Mr. Knight helped remove Archer from this club, AND put a considerable amount of his own money into it.

Recently......( the last 3-4 years), he (and the Board), failed to support Mcghee with funds needed to stay in the Championship. Result..relegation.......loss of income (spectators, TV income, merchandise sales etc etc)....and a pay-off for Mr. Mcghee.

Wilkins employed.....failed to support him with the players Wilkins wanted for a promotion place.....result.......loss of income....(falling gates, merchandise sales, etc etc)...Wilkins sacked...and yet another pay-off.

Adams employed........fans divided due to Wilkins treatment.............abysmal failure by Adams (no surprise there if he had bothered to look at Adams recent record)......falling gates........FANS DIVIDED FURTHER........relegation a real possibility.......and yet ANOTHER PAY-OFF.

Be honest....it's a MESS....isn't it....?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
It is a mess the way you present it

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The reason he is f*cking about is fan pressure. Wilkins didn't have this wonderful surge of support behind him, that I guess you seem to think he had? The football last year was shit and 7th flattered us and the attendances under him were poor.

McGhee would possibly still be here if the fans hadn't turned on him and we'd probably be better off now.

As for Adams first time around, along with Coppell and Taylor? They went on there way, Adams return has back fired, but you can't expect Knight to step down because of that.

We need to get someone in and pray he can turn it around quickly...! A new chairman now is not what is needed, its a relegation battle!!

Average attendances last year are about 48 (yes 48) bums on seats lower than this year apparently. There's a thread where Lord B makesa similar assertion a few weeks back and someone did the maths.

And please for the love of God, stop with the character assassination of Wilkins. If 7th flattered him then he deserved the flattery. Apparently unloved by the fans, the players, the board with a weak squad he got us to 7th place. I'd say that makes him a God to be able to do that.

I don't want Knight to go but please no more historical revisionism.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maybe the shareholder with the most money is already the one who is effectively imposing his will on the Board?

And when I say "effectively", I don't necessarily mean beneficially.

I thought that the influence was supposed to be coming from Ray Bloom and nephew who are most certainly no where near the richest shareholders.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Maybe the shareholder with the most money is already the one who is effectively imposing his will on the Board?

And when I say "effectively", I don't necessarily mean beneficially.

Interesting. I guess that scenario will exist until someone comes in with more money, not that there is any sign of that right now.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
But then there is a point to it surley? :confusedbutlovesphilosophy:

:D But i agree with you. No point. Just abit of fun maybe.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ray Bloom is the obvious one.

I voted for Derek Chapman.

What is lacking is an Architect (INTP). It does not matter who is Chairman. There needs to be more talent on the Board.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here