Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Dick Knight goes, which member of the Board should replace him as Chairman?

These are the current members of the Board. Choose the one you want.

• Martin Perry

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Ken Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Bloom

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Derek Chapman

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Robert Comer

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I never realised that was the choice

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Thanks for that insightful comment Lord B, as usual, I see you still have you Dick Knight goggles on.

Dick is rightly a legend at this club, but the fact is he as chairman, he has made cock up after cock up and needs to go. He has brought us almost to the promised land, and now all that is threatened by his actions involving the last three managers of this great club of ours.

In particular, the treatment of Wilkins and the timing of the departure of Adams show that his judgement is just not there. Of course others will say that he is just a mouthpiece and it's the collective on the board that make these decisions, but that is rubbish, he is Chairman, and like the manager, should be accountable for his actions.

Business is littered with examples of senior management who are able to bring a business a certain way to where they need to go, but are not able to complete the job, there is no shame in that.

It is my opinion that who should replace him is NOT as important as him leaving. I'm sure Martyn and the board can figure out the replacement manager without Dick's input this time around. I do NOT want to see Dick leave the club, perhaps a President role, and maybe he can cut the tape when Falmer opens, but i truly believe that Dick has run his course, and that we need to advertise for a Businessman to take over the job by the start of next season, with Perry as acting chair. Of course MP has his work cut out, but as I said, replacing Dick, is more important right now, and we do not have to rush to find his replacement.

I have absolute respect for what Dick has done for us, and will never for get it, but he is catagorically NOT the person to take us to the next stage, in my opinion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We need a radical solution. Someone who speaks the language of the fans. Albion through and through and never afraid to make the tough decisions.

Step forward: Peter Canning.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
What about shareholders not currently on the board?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Pointless thread.

I vote for any board member who could re-hire Wilkins, and not have fired him in the first place.

NOT that DW would come back. They took away the house he built from rubble, demolished it and built a rickety old coalshed in its' place.
He would rather be given a new pile of rubble, I'd imagine.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good thread. I have not made up at my mind. Under no circumstances: Martin Perry.

Thanks for that insightful comment Lord B, as usual, I see you still have you Dick Knight goggles on.
Not at all.

It's the way companies work. The Chairman is elected by the Board of Directors, from among the members of the Board of Directors.

Of course others will say that he is just a mouthpiece and it's the collective on the board that make these decisions, but that is rubbish, he is Chairman, and like the manager, should be accountable for his actions.
Like all Company Chairmen, he is accountable to the shareholders - as are the rest of the Board.

It is my opinion that who should replace him is NOT as important as him leaving. I'm sure Martyn and the board can figure out the replacement manager without Dick's input this time around.
Who says that the Board leaves the decision to the Chairman?

we need to advertise for a Businessman to take over the job by the start of next season, with Perry as acting chair.
Advertising for someone to take over the chairmanship of a Board of Directors is a curious way of running a privately owned company. Can you give an example of companies which have done this?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Advertising for someone to take over the chairmanship of a Board of Directors is a curious way of running a privately owned company. Can you give an example of companies which have done this?

As someone who has worked for privately run companies for 21 years in London, I can confirm that it actually happens quite a lot. I have seen it happen on numerous occasions where the Chairman builds a company up to a certain level, but can't then take the next step.

It takes a Chairman with balls to admit this, of course, and the same goes for the board.

Dick would still be on the board with a stake-holding, again, that is a common next step.

In fact, it doesn't happen as much as it should, because there is nothing harder in business than to admit that someone else might be able to finish a job you've spent so long trying to get done, but that does not mean it's not the right thing to do.

I vote ...

on NSC, maybe. But you don't vote for the Chairman.

What about shareholders not currently on the board?

As of 31 August 2008, these are:-

Harry Richard Knight 1,602,500 23.02%
William John Brown 1,100,000 15.80%
Anthony Grant Bloom 850,000 12.21%
Pig City Incorporated Limited (Norman Cook) 750,000 10.77%
Kevin Griffiths 582,000 8.36%
Raymond Alexander Bloom 535,000 7.68%
Friday Ad Holdings Ltd 500,000 7.18%
Derek Leonard Chapman 460,750 6.62%
Michael John Hastilow 250,000 3.59%
Robert Leonard Pinnock 142,000 2.04%
J Gold 100,000 1.44%
John Edward Vickers 50,000 0.72%
Joseph David Hirschel 15,000 0.22%
Edward Norman David 10,000 0.14%
Peter McDonnell 10,000 0.14%
John Town 5,000 0.07%
Martin John Perry 130 0.00%

Not all of them are necessarily able to sit on the Board of a football club, let alone be elected Chairman.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not all of them are necessarily able to sit on the Board of a football club, let alone be elected Chairman.

Agreed, which is why we need to bring in someone from the outside. It will be tough finding the right person, but is certainly doable. This is happening more than you think in the business world, and I think it's high time it happened at BHAFC.

Surf 'n' Turf

Sep 21, 2008
That would be great hound out the last 3 managers and now lets hound out the Chairmen. Our fans are starting to get RIGHT ON MY TITS!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here