Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a General Election was held now how would you vote?

Wh would you vote now

• Labour

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 42 30.0%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • UKIP

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other please state

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'd like to vote, but i feel there is nothing to vote for. i didn't vote in the last election, and wouldn't be suprised if I feel the same thsi time too.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I will vote Labour

1. To keep the Tories out
2. Because David Lepper (my MP) voted against the war in Iraq
3. Falmer has the best chance of being given the nod under Labour (it's better-the-devil-you-know time). Would the Tories, LibDems or Greens let us build at Falmer?
4. Er...
5. That's it

Basically, the economy is stable, little chance of hyper-inflation or soaring interest rates (yes, yes, yes I know - 'things can change'). But I would rather pay higher tax if it was going to be spent properly on public services than pay less tax knowing services will be cut. Of course, whether the money gets spent in the right areas in the right way is another matter...

The downside for voting for David Lepper (as opposed to on a national level voting for Labour) is it would be voting for a person who, in a cavalier manner, summarily dismissed - with breath-taking arrogance and ignorance - one of the most important and progressive developments in the British education system since the war - and it's taking place in his own constituency.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
On Wednesday I had my first visit from one of the political parties canvassing for my vote (Labour), I told him that I had never voted Labour before and have to admit that I struggled to come up with reasons why not to, apart from the ID Cards proposal which I find abhorrent. He countered by suggesting that our local MP only has a majority of 3000 and they are more than a little worried that the Tories might get in, I therefore found myself reaching the conclusion that I might even vote tactically to keep the Labour MP in, it does appear that he is doing an excellent job serving the city.

I know that national politics do play a major part in the election but there must be plenty of MP's who don't serve their constituents at all and are far less deserving of their salary than ours, plus he must be better than the Tory alternative. What it boils down to is that I will wait till nearer the election and decide for certain, better the devil (who really isn't) that you know than one you don't.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
bigc said:
strike..did you see the programme about kilroy and UKIP....behind the tan. if you saw that you'd realise you cant vote for the joke that is UKIP!

bluejuice..the tories could win if the only people that turn out are the OAP tory voters...and the far right grassroot tories

Big C enlighten me to why I should not vote for the UKIP party, after seeing that program?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
bigc said:
what development is this then?
To take the Brighton & Hove Montessori School into the state sector - making it the first Montessori school in the UK to be state-funded.

The importance is that, while the school still adheres to the National Curriculum, the teaching method is different. Rather than the 'top-down' approach to teaching currently employed in schools, Montessori believes children learn best on their own, or in small groups, in a secure and motivated environment. In other words, they learn things for themselves. That's not to say they do what they want with no assistance - quite the reverse - but they do it in their own way and their own time, assisted when necessary.

In its simplest form, which way are you most likely to remember how you achieved some simple task for the first time - by having it hammered into you by someone you couldn't relate to, or by your own method? The sense of personal pride from, say, tying your shoelaces for the first time (something most four-year-olds at Montessori can do) is immeasurable compared to learning it parrot-fashion.

The point of this rambling is that the government wants to promote diversity in education, and is VERY keen for the Montessori school to enter the state sector (thereby offering FREE Montessori schooling for the first time in the UK). However Brighton & Hove City Council (albeit in the form of Pat Hawkes - utter nightmare of a woman), believes - wrongly - that all privately-funded schools are elitists and they have no place in the state system.

David Lepper has merely re-gurgitated Pat Hawkes' crap as policy without looking into the details. And I would have expected better of him, especially as he was also a teacher.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Strike said:
Big C enlighten me to why I should not vote for the UKIP party, after seeing that program?

Well Big C I posted the question an hour ago when you were still online and you failed to answer the question. Guess you are full of your usual jokes.:lolol:

Last edited:

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
I’ll vote for the Conservative party because Blair and his government has ……

1 Put up taxes 66 times and will keep going up until we work for f*** all if re-elected.

2 Took us into an illegal war.

3 Brought in tuition fees when he promised he wouldn’t.

4 Lost control of our borders.

5 Told lies after lies after lies.

6 Handed more and more power to Brussels and if he had his way we’d be totally run by them but the arrogant twat denies it.

7 Can anyone in this Country ever believe a single word what leaves his arrogant mouth in future after all those lies.

Labour? you're having a fecking laugh!

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
Terrace Dandy said:
I’ll vote for the Conservative party because Blair and his government has ……

1 Put up taxes 66 times and will keep going up until we work for f*** all if re-elected.

2 Took us into an illegal war.

3 Brought in tuition fees when he promised he wouldn’t.

4 Lost control of our borders.

5 Told lies after lies after lies.

6 Handed more and more power to Brussels and if he had his way we’d be totally run by them but the arrogant twat denies it.

7 Can anyone in this Country ever believe a single word what leaves his arrogant mouth in future after all those lies.

Labour? you're having a fecking laugh!

1) Have also improved public services from the TOTAL MESS that the Tories left behind. The country is better, and I don't mind paying slightly higher taxes for it.

2) Oh yeah, because the Tories were SO against the war!!

3) Hypocrite alert - the Tories have constantly introduced measures like this over the years. They're simply using this for political gain. Jesus, they want to partially privatise the health service for f***'s sake and you're moaning about tuition fees from Labour.

4) Say what you want about this - but I believe that immigration has done nothing but good for this country. Fair point though, if you're a racist, narrow minded twat.

5) Lies?! So you want to vote Tory?!

6) If we weren't in the EU, thousands (if not millions) of us would lose our jobs (including me). It's our best trade partner etc. It all boils down to the fact that you don't like people from other coutries, so dislike the EU. Once again, fair point, if you're a racist, narrow minded twat.

7) Lies again?! So you want to vote Tory?!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The Large One said:
I will vote Labour

1. To keep the Tories out
2. Because David Lepper (my MP) voted against the war in Iraq
3. Falmer has the best chance of being given the nod under Labour (it's better-the-devil-you-know time). Would the Tories, LibDems or Greens let us build at Falmer?
4. Er...
5. That's it

Alan, I can't say that I am thrilled by the idea of Michael Howard becoming Prime Minister, but it isn't going to happen. The Tories would have to be 10% ahead of Labour to win by one seat. I feel, though, that Tony Blair's majority needs to be cut. It is not good for any government to have a 170 majority, just as it wasn't good for Margaret Thatcher to have one of 144.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
I;ve always been a labour voter. but not any more.

can't believe that they have got away with
a) an illegal war
b) currently trying to put into place a law that will mean that anybody's freedom in this country can be placed at an end for absolutely no reason other than a politican wants to.

won't vote tory cos that would be wrong!

that leaves the greens.

our environment is important
we shouldn't mess it up.

ok they aren't going to get into power but if you are a non-voter then vote for a party that at least wants to save the environment - surely a way to get the main parties more interested.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I certainly wouldn't vote Tory, by the time they finished their last term in government the party was corrupt, bereft of ideas, lacking in direction and leaderless, I don't think much has changed in the intervening years except perhaps that it has lurched further to the right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here