Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I thought the poll tax still went through. They just called it the council tax instead.

No, poll tax was designed that everyone contribute equally. Council Tax replaced it based on the artificial house price. Neither are perfect as neither takes account of someone's ability to pay but at least the Poll Tax meant everyone contributed.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I thought the poll tax still went through. They just called it the council tax instead.

Poll tax was repealed and the old system was put back in place under the new name of Counsil Tax.

Of course I don't understand why its not deducted as a percentage based on what you earn like income tax but then i'm no expert on Counsil tax. I'm not pretending to be, i use Poll Tax as an example of where even though teh bill was passed it was still protested against and those 200,000 people protesting eventually got what they wnated and draw from it that we can continue and its not all over.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
History isn't a luxury degree. It's one of the core degrees of the humanities where students can go on to become teachers, librarians, archivists, or even archaeologists, lawyers and politicians.

Sociology is one of the biggest non-degrees on the planet and the cause of much of the dissatisfaction with modern life. This "ology" is for people who don't know how to think, yet their degree studies will persuade them they are being told to look again at society and re-think how much the wealthy few owe to the hard work of the impoverished millions. While sociology teaches us not be so judgmental about people, it does, however, try to plant square pegs in round holes and completely rebuilds new kind of judgments based on class envy instead of training its students to look at the much broader picture to see whether and how the various parts of society depend on or abuse the other parts. Sociology has been the death of the cohesive society.

since you clearly think you know so much about sociology, please could you tell me what qualifications you have in sociology to enable you to judge so well. Otherwise i guess ill be forced to think of you as yet another arsehole with an opinion and no knowledge to back it up.

I do have an A level in Sociology and a degree in Social Science. Whilst my qualifications havent enabled me to make lots and lots of money, it has eneabled me to build a career path that involves working with young homeless people. Maybe not everyones cup of tea nor could everyone do it. However it is very rewarding and I do know that without me many young people would be worse off.

I dont see many jobs that are like this, but then again, im not stuck in the mindframe that condemns anything one doesnt understand. I got out of that mindframe when i started studying sociology. You really should try it.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If you did that during Poll Tax...

As I said earlier, the Poll Tax affected everybody, especially the poor. like it or not the fees issue only affects an increasingly unpopular minority. As you want to get historic tell me how for assertive action got the miners and the print workers.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
since you clearly think you know so much about sociology, please could you tell me what qualifications you have in sociology to enable you to judge so well. Otherwise i guess ill be forced to think of you as yet another arsehole with an opinion and no knowledge to back it up.

I do have an A level in Sociology and a degree in Social Science. Whilst my qualifications havent enabled me to make lots and lots of money, it has eneabled me to build a career path that involves working with young homeless people. Maybe not everyones cup of tea nor could everyone do it. However it is very rewarding and I do know that without me many young people would be worse off.

I dont see many jobs that are like this, but then again, im not stuck in the mindframe that condemns anything one doesnt understand. I got out of that mindframe when i started studying sociology. You really should try it.

I spent yesterday afternoon working with a number of people who work with the homeless, why is it that they all seemed so contemptuous of the students ? Mind you none of them had a degree I gather.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
You'd all be a better off just accepting the new legislation as NOTHING you do will make this government back down. Stay as angry as you want but you'll be wasting your time and public money trying to undo what is a done deal. I suggest that if you still feel the need to protest find a cause that people are sympathetic to like World poverty or cruelty.

And yet through out history there are so many examples of a Government imposing unpopular legislation or actions only to be forced to back down. Fortunately those protesting ignored the naysayers and concentrated with winning the battle.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I spent yesterday afternoon working with a number of people who work with the homeless, why is it that they all seemed so contemptuous of the students ? Mind you none of them had a degree I gather.

And funnily enough I have spent the last 9 years working with the young homeless and they seem to have contempt for crusty old tories that pretend to care whilst really writing them off and make no effort to listen to their concerns. Perhaps if people listened more to them they wouldnt feel the need to turn to direct action to catch your attention. Which they surely have.

However since the point I was making was to not write off something you dont understand, I fail to see how youve done anything but prove my point.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
And yet through out history there are so many examples of a Government imposing unpopular legislation or actions only to be forced to back down. Fortunately those protesting ignored the naysayers and concentrated with winning the battle.

In the last fifty years give me two examples excluding the poll tax, I'll be interested if you can back your assertion that 'there are so many examples of a Government imposing unpopular legislation or actions only to be forced to back down'. Feel free to prove me wromg.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
And funnily enough I have spent the last 9 years working with the young homeless and they seem to have contempt for crusty old tories that pretend to care whilst really writing them off and make no effort to listen to their concerns. Perhaps if people listened more to them they wouldnt feel the need to turn to direct action to catch your attention. Which they surely have.

However since the point I was making was to not write off something you dont understand, I fail to see how youve done anything but prove my point.

Well that's because they're young and ignorant and think that your bulllshit is based on fact rather than theory. And the point I was making was that these people who were actually do the job you do think people like you are full of shit, their words not mine. Not very good at debating are you ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well that's because they're young and ignorant and think that your bulllshit is based on fact rather than theory. And the point I was making was that these people who were actually do the job you do think people like you are full of shit, their words not mine. Not very good at debating are you ?

To be honest, I've not met any homeless person who isn't angry and distrustful of everyone and everything. Look, you may disagree with Castello, I do on many points, but you've got some front lecturing him on how to deal with homeless people. He's there at the front line picking up the pieces of what's left after society has metaphorically and literally kicked the life out of these kids. Fair play to the bloke and I think he's the one who deals in reality rather than theory.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be honest, I've not met any homeless person who isn't angry and distrustful of everyone and everything. Look, you may disagree with Castello, I do on many points, but you've got some front lecturing him on how to deal with homeless people. He's there at the front line picking up the pieces of what's left after society has metaphorically and literally kicked the life out of these kids. Fair play to the bloke and I think he's the one who deals in reality rather than theory.

Somebody else who can't read properly, I admit I don't know much about that field but I was merely relating what the social workers I was working along side said. Try getting your facts right next time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Somebody else who can't read properly, I admit I don't know much about that field but I was merely relating what the social workers I was working along side said. Try getting your facts right next time.
No you weren't. You said this:

How is that "relating what the social workers I was working alongside" said? That's you telling him that the young homeless he works with are young and ignorant and then telling he's not very good at debating. It's not Castello resorting to petty name calling as far as I can see.

Firstly, the government is a coalition made up of the Conservatives and Lib Dems. The Lib Dems stated during the campaign that they were against tuition fees. People didn't vote for this.

Secondly, I don't expect the majority to support me. I'm not a student and not a protestor. I support their right to protest and their cause. It's callled empathy.

According to this thread most people are selfish and myopic.

oh, but they did vote for this.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Well firstly let me point out that I said thoughout history and was non specific in which countires government I was referring to.

I would also point out by ruling out the Poll tax you are conceding the very point I am making.

However rather than appear churlish let me prove my point within your terms of reference.

1. 1971 Industrial relations act was repealed in 1974 after a campaign of civil disobedience, demonstrations and strike action, including the 1974 miners strike which brought down a tory government.

2. The winter of discontent in 1978 achieved precisely the same effect of bringing down a government (this time a labour governement) after attempting to force through wage restraint at a time of rampant inflation.

3. 1981 Brixton Riot led to the scarman report in November 1981, which ended the sus laws which the police used to stop and search young black men for little reason other than they were young, black and male. the report led to the 1984 Police and Criminal Evidence Act, which fundamentally changed the way policing in Britains inner cities was caried out.

4 the whole of anti colonisation movement in the commonwealth was based upon both violent and non violent direct action. Of course India is the primary example of this, admittedly more than 50 years ago. However many of the colonies that gained independence from Britain in the last 50 years came as a direct result of direct action.

5 Northern Ireland. I really think it would be hard to dispute that catholics in northern ireland would have anything like the rights they now have including an integral part in a devolved government, without first the civil rights movement from 1964 onwards and then the IRA campaign. Clearly many will disagree with the means the IRA used, but its effectiveness would be hard to dispute.

so including the poll tax that is 6 events where direct action by protesters have resulted in either repelaing legislation or a reversal in direction by British Governments.

I could of course go on to talk about the french government , but that would be showing off.

I await your acceptance of my argument.

This answer was brought to you courtesy of an education in Social Science paid for by the British tax payer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here