Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a Brighton football player were to 'come out'...

What would your reaction be?

• Happily give them support / let the player know this

Votes: 85 41.7%
  • Wouldn't bother me one way or the other

Votes: 108 52.9%
  • Be a bit embarrassed

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Wouldn't be happy at all / let the player know this

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
... what would your reaction be? It's a further point to the Roar tomorrow, and to the Fashanu documentary.

I'm not talking about any particular footballer from any particular club. I find it hard to believe that society has moved on so little since Justin Fashanu came out. Perhaps you feel that, because this is Brighton, supposedly the 'Gay Capital of England', it's almost as though it's down to somewhere like this club to set the precedent.

After the so-called 'embarrassment' of calling the fans' bar 'Dick's Bar', are Brighton fans ready for a gay footballer to come out?

This is all of course assuming that there are any gay footballers at Brighton...

Jan 30, 2008
... what would your reaction be? It's a further point to the Roar tomorrow, and to the Fashanu documentary.

I'm not talking about any particular footballer from any particular club. I find it hard to believe that society has moved on so little since Justin Fashanu came out. Perhaps you feel that, because this is Brighton, supposedly the 'Gay Capital of England', it's almost as though it's down to somewhere like this club to set the precedent.

After the so-called 'embarrassment' of calling the fans' bar 'Dick's Bar', are Brighton fans ready for a gay footballer to come out?

This is all of course assuming that there are any gay footballers at Brighton.

Poll to follow.
IF :laugh:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
We should support our players no matter what, unless they are found guilty of committing a serious crime.
Coming out is not a crime, therefore they would still receive my full support.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Certainly wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, I think after a couple of weeks it'd all be forgotten, give or take the odd soft joke on here every so often and from opposition fans. The serious 'abuse' I'd expect would come from supporters of other clubs, certainly not our own fans, and to be honest the kind of people that backward in their views can think what they like, I wouldn't give a flying f***. They'd get banned if caught, and deservedly so. I'd like to think most Brighton fans have moved on from the days where homophobic abuse towards individuals was acceptable, let alone our own players.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think ours would be the perfect club. Let's face it, we - and the players - are used to homophobia anyway, so it shouldn't put anyone off their game. Although the chants have been refreshingly absent since they started arresting people.

Oct 25, 2003
i really wouldn't give a shit personally...i don't care who albion players put their dick into.....i guess i'd respect them for the action of coming out, as i can appreciate that it'd be quite difficult, but it wouldn't make me like or dislike them any more

however, i guarantee that some brighton fans WOULD care.......homophobia still exists in brighton......and in fact i can remember a certain well known poster on this site saying that he would disown his son if he 'came out'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Couldn't give a monkeys either way.

Which presumably is exactly how they'd want it. I don't suppose they'd especially want us waving rainbow flags and making up supportive chants based on Shirley Bassey songs.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i would throw rotten tomatoes at him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here