Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Westlake is Available

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
As far as I can see we have El Abd, Elphick, Lynch, Hawkins and Hinshelwood who will all be competing for central defensive positions WITHOUT Virgo.

We have nobody who is a natural attacking central midfield player like Westlake and he could have also slotted in on the left hand side when McLeod is missing.

I know who I would rather have signed.

I think he will be a very bit part player unless we have a lot of injuries as a CB i can't see him starting before the first 4 you mentioned

Hinsh though i fear will never be the same again

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would certainly started with Lynch and Elphick and then have Hawkins as next in line.

Virgo could well be higher up the pecking order for right back than centre back.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wouldn't surprise me if he did. He won't have signed for us over a championship club unless he was given a strong indication he would be involved in the starting 11. I would also suggest if he does not want to play upfront he wouldn't have signed for us if that was where Adams saw him being most used.

The possibility of Virgo being in the first 11 does not mean the money would not have been better spent elsewhere however...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not believe that we need Westlake now as we have players that can do as good a job both on the left (McLeod) and in the centre of midfield (Thomson and Livermore).

I think that Virgo will play as either a centre back instead of Lynch or compete for right back with El Abd as I think that Whing will go in January. Whatever happens I hope that we do not play Virgo as a forward as he is no better than Gatting playing there.

Virgo as holding midfield as per Adam El Abd in the friendlies?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I do not believe that we need Westlake now as we have players that can do as good a job both on the left (McLeod) and in the centre of midfield (Thomson and Livermore).

I think that Virgo will play as either a centre back instead of Lynch or compete for right back with El Abd as I think that Whing will go in January. Whatever happens I hope that we do not play Virgo as a forward as he is no better than Gatting playing there.

How can you say Virgo is no better than Gatting up front? He has scored goals in the Championship so that gives him a fair start and he has much more of a physical presence. Personally, I think Virgo will be third choice forward and am reasonably happy with that although would like to buy another striker too.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Wouldn't surprise me if he did. He won't have signed for us over a championship club unless he was given a strong indication he would be involved in the starting 11. I would also suggest if he does not want to play upfront he wouldn't have signed for us if that was where Adams saw him being most used.

The possibility of Virgo being in the first 11 does not mean the money would not have been better spent elsewhere however...

Having made up your mind that sacking Wilkins and bringing in Adams was a bad decision (when most people disagree with you), you have moaned all summer about whatever Adams did. I didn't agree with Wilkins appointment but still supported him when he was manager so why not just get behind the team for the new season rather than being over critical?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How can you say Virgo is no better than Gatting up front? He has scored goals in the Championship so that gives him a fair start and he has much more of a physical presence. Personally, I think Virgo will be third choice forward and am reasonably happy with that although would like to buy another striker too.

Sorry to disagree but I have seen nothing that convinces me that Virgo should start up front. He cannot hold the ball up, does not win many headers facing the goal, but yes he has a powerful shot. I wouldn't be against throwing him forward for the last 10 mins of a game that we were chasing for a goal but to actually pick him to start there no thanks.

Oct 25, 2003
Whatever happens I hope that we do not play Virgo as a forward as he is no better than Gatting playing there.

1. he was our top scorer in the CHAMPIONSHIP which would suggest that he is MILDLY better than gatting upfront

2. virgo is awful in central midfield

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sorry to disagree but I have seen nothing that convinces me that Virgo should start up front. He cannot hold the ball up, does not win many headers facing the goal, but yes he has a powerful shot. I wouldn't be against throwing him forward for the last 10 mins of a game that we were chasing for a goal but to actually pick him to start there no thanks.

Yet his performances up front were one of the major reasons we stayed in the Championship that season. There were also some really good goals there, they weren't all just hit and hope. To say he is no better than Gatting up front is almost as ridiculous as considering starting him in central midfield

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1. he was our top scorer in the CHAMPIONSHIP which would suggest that he is MILDLY better than gatting upfront

2. virgo is awful in central midfield

1. That is not much to go by being our top scorer in The Championship when we hardly scored any goals.

2. This was a suggestion as I have never seen him play in that position only on a very odd occassion so think that it was worth an experiment during the friendlies but we have nearly finished them and MA and DW say they have the team for Crewe in their mind. So would suggest that they have his position pencilled in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm expecting all this writing off of Virgo as a decent addition to the team before a ball is kicked is gonna come back to bite his critics in the arse.

Expect to be mocked when it does

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I'm expecting all this writing off of Virgo as a decent addition to the team before a ball is kicked is gonna come back to bite his critics in the arse.

Expect to be mocked when it does

He's a player who will become progressively more important as the season wears on, given injuries, suspensions etc. Fact is that he's a good option up front and at the back. He shouldn't start at Crewe, but this doesn't make him a bad acquisition.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Having made up your mind that sacking Wilkins and bringing in Adams was a bad decision (when most people disagree with you), you have moaned all summer about whatever Adams did. I didn't agree with Wilkins appointment but still supported him when he was manager so why not just get behind the team for the new season rather than being over critical?

I'd like to see a reply to that as well...

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Getting back on topic, I believe that Westlake would be a good quality signing, and I wouldn't imagine Leeds wanting more than £250,000 for him.

Whether that is too much, well it probably is, but he could make the difference between going up or not going up.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Getting back on topic, I believe that Westlake would be a good quality signing, and I wouldn't imagine Leeds wanting more than £250,000 for him.

Whether that is too much, well it probably is, but he could make the difference between going up or not going up.

100k for him at most. He offers no width on the wing and wouldn't get in front of Livermroe or Thomson. It wont happen anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here