Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Holloway on Saints

Can't believe I bothered to register on here but felt strangely compelled after reading this thread. I think a few points need to be made in the interests of perspective:

1. The vast majority of Saints fans don't see Brighton as rivals or have any dislike for you. Most are probably like me, will be happy for you to be promoted and christen your new stadium in the Championship after all of the shit you had to put up with in recent times.

2. Other clubs in this division do probably see us as arrogant. Not surprising really, we had nearly 30 years of the top flight and think we shouldn't be here. It would be a bit strange if Saints fans were happy to be in this division. Any club in a similar predicament would have a similar feeling amongst the fans and a similar perception from other teams.

3. Any non-Albion fan reading your message board could quite easily conclude that Brighton fans are quite arrogant. I'm sure the same thing could be said in relation to Saintsweb. Its the nature of the internet and football fans, we're nothing special in this regard.

4. The chants aimed at Blackpool aren't worth the interest they've generated. Fans all over the country have sung the same sung (or very similar) to teams they are beating from a higher division. It really doesn't mark us out as particularly arrogant.

5. Calling us "scummers" is anyone's own choice but it does make those using it sound a bit sad.

6. We might not be as "big" as some us would like to think (I'd certainly trade a few of our years of top flight football for a bit more silverware) but we are also lot bigger than some of you are willing to give credit for. Our crowds in recent seasons show a decent sized fan base comparable with a host of well supported clubs, obviously not up with true big boys but in excess of a fair few Premiership clubs. The relevance of this? Minimal. I'm more interested in the table to be honest.

7. I have no idea or interest in how big your crowds are next season, I hope you fill it.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season.

Sense indicates that you are, of course, absolutely right.
Most Albion don't dislike Saints or disrespect how you've done in recent history.
Few fans will ever have a 'brotherly' regard to other clubs, but as fellow South-coasters it's hard to think of you
as a grudge-match derby when we meet in the league.
I hope you go up (in second place), and a little less hope - that B'mouth get there in the playoffs. It'll be good to see some shift to the South Coast for improved footy and league positions. A healthy rivalry will be just fine, so good luck to ya.

There are wind-ups from every club, and I expect we'll be getting more from each others' fanbases if we go neck-and-neck. We have before from such innoccuous climes as Chesterfield and Reading, and noxious ones like cardiff.
Not a huge big deal, I would let it get your goat too much.

Hope to see you up with us for next season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't have a problem with this personally, believe people should always support their home team and I enjoy the rivalry.

However I think you will find that for many who come to Brighton studying, settle here, and quite possibly spend the rest of their lives in the area, (because its a great place to live) adopt Brighton as their home team. Personally I don't have a problem with that either.

adopt Brighton? Surely they would already have a team.

Crikey. Given your own apparent personal history, of growing up in Sussex, with three Albion supporting brothers, then choosing to 'adopt' Southampton, on the back of a few weekends in Hamphire and Saints signing Keegan, I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem with that kind of thing...

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I wish I could find about my 4th post ever on here... a couple of months back, I said Southampton would be our main rivals, or something to that effect.

It wasnt hard to find, although your memory might be a little bit off

Tend to agree that they seem extraordinarily arrogant at present.

Biggest club in the league eh? Think with the rich history's of both Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield they may ask the Scummers how they can justify that?

Forgive Southampton and their loud mouthed manager, who seems to think we play one dimensional football, and he is entitled to his view, all be it tainted... but the excuses and arrogance are pouring thick due to one oversight. Southampton are currently the worst team (on position - doesn't lie) from the South Coast in the English league set up.

Saintinpeace

Jan 9, 2011
This thread just about sums up southampton and their fans in my experience. The majority are boring, repetitive, deluded, slightly arrogant dicks but every know and again up pops a normal one(that's you saintsinpeace, if you care). Unfortunately there's such a high percentage of fucktards that it's difficult to remember that they're not all a bunch of clowns best avoided.

Thanks but unfortunately you illustrate the third point that I made. Thankfully a minority response it seems.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thanks but unfortunately you illustrate the third point that I made. Thankfully a minority response it seems.

We know some of you are fine pal - but having redneb and saintsconsiderablyricher etc posting regularly on here does your rep no good - as one of ur fans mentioned on your board i recall. You seem 100% correct though. Fair play.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Crikey. Given your own apparent personal history, of growing up in Sussex, with three Albion supporting brothers, then choosing to 'adopt' Southampton, on the back of a few weekends in Hamphire and Saints signing Keegan, I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem with that kind of thing...

I was 8 and didnt support a team at the time. Anyone moving into the city would not start supporting Brighton as I'm assuming theyre older than 8 and already have a team. However you may get Brighton dwellers who support another team but go to a hand full of games a season just to watch some local football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here