Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Holloway on Saints

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
And Saints fans have never called anyone by a generic abusive nickname before, I take it? Even the chant that upset Holloway yesterday was a cliched "Premiership, you're having a laugh" sung thousands of times before your shower of shit graced Blackpool with it. f*** me, you lot are thin-skinned.

Generic name = scum or the scum. Only Pompey call us scummers. In fact do you call anyone else the scummers? NO. Your just taking Pompeys nickname of us.

One things for sure. If you had played Blackpool yesterday and sang 'premiership your having a laugh' throughout, which I imagine you would have, and then Holloway came out and said the same thing about you, we wouldn't of had a thread on Saintsweb about it.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Generic name = scum or the scum. Only Pompey call us scummers. In fact do you call anyone else the scummers? NO. Your just taking Pompeys nickname of us.

One things for sure. If you had played Blackpool yesterday and sang 'premiership your having a laugh' throughout, which I imagine you would have, and then Holloway came out and said the same thing about you, we wouldn't of had a thread on Saintsweb about it.

I doubt any of us would be wanking on saintsweb to see it wasn't mentioned.
by the way, PNFE told you he was going to the pub. I suspect you waited until he logged off to reply, seeing as he had completely owned you.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Generic name = scum or the scum. Only Pompey call us scummers. In fact do you call anyone else the scummers? NO.

Palace (amongst other things)

We are called scummers by pompey coz of the dock strikes in the late 19th century. Therefore other clubs that call us that only serve to make themselves look like useless tools trying to get on a bandwagon.
POMPEY are the TRUE scummers.

The Truth about the Origins of Scum - Southampton FC forum from footymad.net

The 1890 Southampton Dock Strike took place in Southampton, England,

The closing years of the 1880s saw a resurgence of trade unionism amongst merchant seamen, dockers and other unskilled workers. Towards the end of August 1890, the Southampton Dock Company and the various shipping firms agreed to grant wage increases of 1d an hour. However, the Royal Mail Steampacket Company, which paid lower rates than the other principal firms, refused to bring its rates into line with the other companies. All of the employers, meanwhile, refused to grant official recognition to the Dockers' Union and the National Union of Seamen. Because of these two issues, a strike was declared on 7 September. Unlike the London Dock Strike, the strike in Southampton was marked by a certain amount of public disorder. Blacklegs from Royal Naval Dockyard at Portsmouth arriving at the railway station were attacked and large crowds gathered daily in the streets around the docks and, leading to fears of rioting. In response the Mayor requested assistance from the Home Office. The Royal Yorkshire Regiment was called in from Portsmouth, and the Mayor read the riot act. In the event, however, troops were not deployed, and streets such as Canute Road were instead cleared with the aid of the local fire-brigade, who opened their hoses on the crowds.

Embarrassingly, Portsmouth football fans have lied about this to such an extent that now in their twisted version of events they have even reversed the roles. This happened when a spoof story in the Portsmouth fanzine Frattonise in the 1990s claimed that Southampton Corporation Union Men had broken a strike by the Portsmouth Fish Corporation. Various versions of this spoof story have now become so entrenched in Pompey folklore, that many of them really do believe this happened. Ever more grandiose variations have been repeated by the official PFC historian, by Colin Farmery on Wikipedia and they have even managed to get it into the national press before recent derby games. What a bunch of liars.

The use of the insult scum at football matches started in the 1970s when it was first used by Millwall fans recently out of borstal, where it was a common insult. Southampton fans actually started using it in a chant, 'We are the people; they are the scum', before Pompey fans copied it.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the first recorded use of the word scummer dates back to 1585. It referred to one who scours the sea, a rover or a pirate. For many years it was a nickname for pirates or buccaneers. It most definitely was not first used by Portsmouth football fans.

More debate here:-

Portsmouth Message Board | Scum?? Links To The Alleged 'Truth' Are Sort

I reckon this dispute is probably about as difficult to settle as an argument between Albion fans and Palace fans about who were the first lot to come up with a chant with the words "... Because of Boxing Day".

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We're not sensitive mate, you just don't have the right to call us scummers. You are not our local rivals FFS and you never will be. And yes, compared to Brighton we are a massive club - remind me again what the capacity of your new ground is?

Think you need to remind your fans what your capacity is!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I knew the myth of the Southampton strike-breakers - but has the term scummer only been used since the 70's ? Well there you go. And it was Portsmouth who were the blacklegs ? Well, well, well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Lets wait till May till we start calling people arrogant. We've had a first half of a season littered with hiccups but still somehow sit where we are.

Llalana just signed, Guly suddenly brilliant and a solid team brushing teams aside. Were motoring and you know it.

And so you should be. You were massive nailed on favs to win the league - all the pressure is on you - not us - accept it.

Another small seaside club trying to spark up some sort of rivalry im afraid.

And you've argued and argued where this arrogant label has come from... mmmmmm

Every club have fans that get above themselves. You certainly have plenty. Our attitude is not dissimilar to yours in in 00/01 - "what the f is a club like albion doing in the bottom league" Other teams down there probably thought you arrogant.

We're NOTHING like you and a massive proportion of your fans.

PS - Get my £20 ready :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So who have the SOUTH COAST CLUB f***ed off this season:

1) The whole English Press by being so up their arses that they won't let photographers in

2) Brighton fans by Adkins saying Brighton will be rivals 'If they can keep up with us' after SCC only drew at home to Brighton thanks to a penalty save

3) Shrewsbury Town - Showing pure disrespect to another club and going public in their arrogance

4) Holloway as above

Feel free to add to the list.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
No point getting on your high horse about it. Apparently you made over 5,000 posts last year. I must have read at least some of them but can't recall a single one.

:lolol: The only posts of his I can recall are awful attempts at getting on his high horse or taking the moral high ground about something. The fella's a complete borefest :lol:

Jan 2, 2011
I think its really cute how these little Brighton & Hovel Albion fans have taken it upon themselves to make up their very own 'Fiery' rivalry with us, and if it makes them happy thats good to. I do love these plucky little football clubs when they try to stand up for themselves.....bless.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So who have the SOUTH COAST CLUB f***ed off this season:

3) Shrewsbury Town - Showing pure disrespect to another club and going public in their arrogance

Whats that about? Missed whatever that story was

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
And so you should be. You were massive nailed on favs to win the league - all the pressure is on you - not us - accept it.

So after half a season of slagging us off, when the cream finally rises to the top, you say 'well you should be up there anyway'

We're NOTHING like you and a massive proportion of your fans.

Maybe, but i find it hysterical that after so many years of being poor little Brighton and you finally have a bit of backing and a reasonably sized stadium to come, some of your fans are getting so carried away and quite arogant. I've lived in Brighton for 16 years and have always come from Sussex and I see Brighton as a happening town with a cosmopolitan population, but not a football city. Obviously there are a lot of fans but there just isnt the footballmania as other cities, Soton being one. Maybe there is potential there but it wont materialise for a long time. Heck im even gonna take my boys to your new ground (and SMS obviously) but theyre a bit young at the moment (2.2 yrs and 6 months).[/QUOTE]

PS - Get my £20 ready :)
Oh it's ready all right, ready to be doubled. Yesterdays game was a big game for me. I was even considering getting a ticket but couldnt due to the wife being ill. But if I had wanted to go, I could have logged on and bought a ticket and just picked it up at the gate. FFS, this is Portsmouth and should have sold out ages ago even despite a crap stadium. So how the f*** are you expecting to more than double your attendance?? Some of your fans just need to wake up a bit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think its really cute how these little Brighton & Hovel Albion fans have taken it upon themselves to make up their very own 'Fiery' rivalry with us, and if it makes them happy thats good to. I do love these plucky little football clubs when they try to stand up for themselves.....bless.

Says yet another SCC fan on our board... Suprise suprise. No 'fiery' rivalry pal - just a realisation of your arrogance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

If no rivaly why take the time and effort to bother registering on here? Oh, and I love the way your chosen username reflects the fact that you believe Brighton are that big we need to be toppled.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Generic name = scum or the scum. Only Pompey call us scummers. In fact do you call anyone else the scummers? NO. Your just taking Pompeys nickname of us..

Blimey. Football supporters using nicknames to wind-up other club's fans shocker! :rolleyes:

Well it didn't involve us, so all we hear is your poor ickle lambs bleating on about it. Ahhhhh.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010

Forgive my confusion. Your username seems to suggest you have a pre-occupation with 'toppling' us. Really, that's quite flattering but more than a bit sad if you then go on to tell us that you don't care.

Yet another Saint troll fail, it appears. I suspect there will be others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here