Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart...a bit of a tossbag?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
On his show slagging of Perry and Knight saying we would not have got 12,000 through the door if we had already got Falmer.

What does he want them to say?

"Well actually I doubt we would have got more then 6,000 when we were in the second and third division but can we still have a new 23,000 seater stadium please?"

Also, surely by suggesting we have missed out on £30m in the last 6 years it looks better for our pro falmer case.

Harty then started moaning about the Argus scaremongering bu carrying a headline "Missing £30m".

He said it had Brighton fans scared even though if you read the article it was not actually that we had £30m and lost it. Any chimp could have worked that out.

He then revealed he had not actually read the article. Top work Harty.

Surely by making the article the main subject on his show and NOT out 1v0 win, he was as guilty of scaremongering as anyone.

Then he said there is no way people would pay £24 week in week out to come to games. Hang on a minute, does Harty know how much it costs at the moment? i.e. about £22 a game.

Tosspot.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Richie Morris said:
On his show slagging of Perry and Knight saying we would not have got 12,000 through the door if we had already got Falmer.

What does he want them to say?

"Well actually I doubt we would have got more then 6,000 when we were in the second and third division but can we still have a new 23,000 seater stadium please?"

Also, surely by suggesting we have missed out on £30m in the last 6 years it looks better for our pro falmer case.

Harty then started moaning about the Argus scaremongering bu carrying a headline "Missing £30m".

He said it had Brighton fans scared even though if you read the article it was not actually that we had £30m and lost it. Any chimp could have worked that out.

Surely by making the article the main subject on his show and NOT out 1v0 win, he was as guilty of scaremongering as anyone.

Then he said there is no way people would pay £24 week in week out to come to games. Hang on a minute, does Harty know how much it costs at the moment? i.e. about £22 a game.

Tosspot.

I think tossbag is a bit harsh. He's ok.
However, I didn't really understand why he kept going on about it. I read the article and at no point did I think it a realistic estimation. It seemed to me to be a way for Dick Knight to get our plight some real publicity which it did. To then keep harping on about how incorrect it all was gave the impression of division in the ranks which plays into the oppositions hands.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Richie Morris said:

These were the annoying parts for me. It was a complete non-issue anyway, marred the phone-in rather today.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Just you try to be entertaining every week Richie.(Or even once)

Well OTT, Richie. You can disagree with people, but it's pathetic to abuse them, you just make youself look very immature.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
if only Harty organised his phone in as well as you organised your fanzine eh Richie?

You can take the man out of the fanzine but ......

Still looking for scandal where there is none. Trying to be controversial for the sake of it. And saying we would struggle to get 10000 today. Even if it is true, which I don't believe BTW, banging on about it plays into the hands of the Nimby arguments. Will make no difference to the PI but will give them sucker.

Oh well. Here's to 3 points and 2 bottles of Firestoker. Diet goes out the window tonight. Even my PC gets a night off from burning DVD's! :drink:

The sad thing about the way Harty steered the discussion on the £30 million lost revenue was that he seemed to think that this was a story that the Club should be worried about.

The story, originally written by Paul Hayward, appeared earlier this week in the Daily Telegraph. NSC fully understood that it was very supportive of the Club.

The original NSC thread

Rob Hustwayte's recycling of Paul Hayward's story on the front page of the Argus does us a great deal of good as well.

For why? Because a major theme that is being spun by the Albion's opponents at the Public Inquiry is that the best solution is for Prescott to turn down Falmer and keep us at Withdean until a move to Shoreham Harbour can be arranged in twenty years time. An essential element in this argument is that we are flourishing at Withdean and can afford to stay there.

Paul Hayward knows that this is nonsense. As does Dick Knight. And the Argus. Quantifying how much revenue we are losing by being stuck, first at the Priestfield and subsequently at Withdean, gives the lie to the arguments being put forward by Falmer Parish Council and the Regency Society.

Does Harty pick up on this? No. He simply decides to quibble about the details of the calculation. "How many people would have been there today if we were at Falmer?" is NOT THE POINT.

As I say, I find it sad that Ian didn't pick up the real point of the article. Instead, Mrs Merton-style, he started one of his "heated debates". I know he has been away and out of touch with recent developments, so I'll forgive him and just put this one down as a lost opportunity.

Shame, though.

Incidentally, my answer to the question "How many people would have been there today if we were at Falmer?" is a deal more than 10,000. Because we'd have spent some of that "missing £30 million" on squad building that, at the very least, would have us challenging for promotion, not hanging on waiting for 50 points to clock up.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I think that abusing Harty is not on. He is trying to do a job and stoke up a debate.

However, I just wish he would realise that he is playing the same song as the anti Falmer Brigade. Having sat through a few days of the inquiry I can tell you that one of their main points is that we can stay at Falmer because we do not need a 22000 seater stadium. Won't be surprised if they say that one of our top supporters on the radio said that Sir Dick or Martin Perry were wrong. It does not help our cause.

Also tonight a caller said that Sir Dick was quoted in the Argus as saying it would take 4 years to build a new staduim. Well I have read that article and Sir Dick is quoted as saying 3 years.

Taylors Dummy

Nov 3, 2004
South West Rye
Lord Bracknell said:

Incidentally, my answer to the question "How many people would have been there today if we were at Falmer?" is a deal more than 10,000. Because we'd have spent some of that "missing £30 million" on squad building that, at the very least, would have us challenging for promotion, not hanging on waiting for 50 points to clock up.

:thumbsup: spot on LB. We cannot compare like with like as if we had a new stadium we would have invested in the squad by now and would have probably in the Championship for the 2 seasons before this. As for Harty saying we would have got about 9,000 for last weeks game. He seems to forget that clubs like Sunderland have large away support andsuuporters clubs in London so they would have bought four or five times more than they were able to last week.

Even games like the Cheaterfield one a few seasons back would have made the late teens and the gates wouldn't have been any smaller would they. Surely another 30-40% more people would come just because they would be covered and not getting soaked every week. Plus Falmer will have bars etc (like most decent grounds now) so the whole experience would be better now and attarct far more fair weather supporters who just want to see a game now and again in comfortable surroundings.

I think Harty was well off beam this time.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gaffer said:
I think that abusing Harty is not on. He is trying to do a job and stoke up a debate.

However, I just wish he would realise that he is playing the same song as the anti Falmer Brigade. Having sat through a few days of the inquiry I can tell you that one of their main points is that we can stay at Falmer because we do not need a 22000 seater stadium. Won't be surprised if they say that one of our top supporters on the radio said that Sir Dick or Martin Perry were wrong. It does not help our cause.

Also tonight a caller said that Sir Dick was quoted in the Argus as saying it would take 4 years to build a new staduim. Well I have read that article and Sir Dick is quoted as saying 3 years.

True. Harty you do a great job but please think about the effects of what you are debating and whether the oppositiin can try and use it against us (especially if the stats aren't quite true)

Richie, stop throwing insults around. It helps no-one.

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
Ian is a total twat. Fleck knows how the radio station let's such a boring person spill so much garbage on air is beyond me.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yorkie said:

Richie, stop throwing insults around. It helps no-one.

Hardly throwing them about.

Funny though that when someone like Perseus says something that is not pro Falmer he gets abused and slated but when Harty says something that is playing into the NIMBY's hands and undermining the great job that Perry and Knight are doing, he gets defended from all corners.???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've never abused Perseus or Harty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here