Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Man of Harveys said:
Thank god - I was starting to think I was the only one...thank for you restoring my faith in the human race, not to mention my own judgement...

Errr

Commander said:
Am I the only person who isn't worried about the lack of a managerial decision? If I was DK I think I'd be doing exactly the same.

Ahem

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hang on - let me get this straight...

Richie Morris is saying that someone inside the club said to him that Dick Knight, the chairman, who spends no time on the training ground, and some of the time in Spain, is picking the team - not Dean Wilkins nor Dean White.

Right, got it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Richie Morris said:
Someone inside the club.

come on the radio on Saturday and tell us who it is then Richie

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Large One said:
Hang on - let me get this straight...

Richie Morris is saying that someone inside the club said to him that Dick Knight, the chairman, who spends no time on the training ground, and some of the time in Spain, is picking the team - not Dean Wilkins nor Dean White.

Right, got it.

Not quite.

More of a rumour which was backed up by comments made by Wilkins last night.

Basically the rumour is Wilkins is being pressured into picking players like Santos, Carpenter etc.

Not sure I believe it myself - I doubt he has any choice with the squad being in the state it is in to be honest and probably more a case of chinese whispers.

I am more worried about not having a manager in place to go after loan players etc and begin to build his own team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Man of Harveys said:
So much here is taking so much for granted. Any shred of proof that he's NOT in the process of lining someone up, rather than "dithering"? He's the chairman, who has a bunch of mouthy yobs criticising him no matter what he does. Under those circumstances, he has EVERY right in the world to take his time and get it right. Besides, kneejerking, as you're basically implying he should do, rarely leads to the right decision being taken.

And if anyone sincerely thinks - given the stinking pile of manure dumped on NSC today after one sodding defeat last night - that the usual cretins wouldn't be baying for Dick Knight's head if we lost the next three games after Deano getting a contract, you're out of your proverbial mind.

DO SOMETHING NOW!! DON'T CARE WHAT! JUST SOMETHING! is always, always, folly. IMHO.
Speaking personally, its not a kneejerk to last nights result at all. I've been fretting about the state of the squad since the summer and all through the transfer window. Now we're nearly in October and its significantly weaker. At the start of the season, I reckoned to us finishing around lower-mid table, probably 14th or 15th, which is dull, but ok given our circsumstances. Any thoughts of playoffs were clearly for the fantasists. But with the departure of CKR (who I still think would've been great in this league), and now the loss of Reid, with no adequate replacements coming in, I am genuinely fearful of where we are going to end up this season.

The only way we're going to improve is by freshening up the squad and bringing in a few shrewd loan signings. And the only way we're going to do that, is by making a decision on the manager. The longer we leave it, the further our position in the League is going to deteriorate, to the point where the damage becomes irrepairable. THAT is why I feel we need this decision on the manager before the Blackpool game. Nothing to do with Yeovil, nothing to do with Carlisle. We just need to make the decision, back the new manager (whoever that is) and get on with sorting out our season, cos at the moment, we are drifting in limbo.

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Richie Morris said:
Not quite.

More of a rumour which was backed up by comments made by Wilkins last night.

Basically the rumour is Wilkins is being pressured into picking players like Santos, Carpenter etc.

Not sure I believe it myself - I doubt he has any choice with the squad being in the state it is in to be honest and probably more a case of chinese whispers.

I am more worried about not having a manager in place to go after loan players etc and begin to build his own team.

Oh do piss off. So it's a rumour is it? So why talk about it at the beginning of this thread as if it's a fact, one that only you know the source of. It wouldn't be to make yourself feel all big and important would it?

I seem to remember Mickey Adams saying something about how Dick Knight would never interefere with team selection, just ask on match day who was playing.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If you actually read it I don't think I mentioned the rumour coming from someone within the club until about the third page of this thread.

To be honest, I could not care less what people on NSC think of me - probably just as well...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
alan partridge said:

I seem to remember Mickey Adams saying something about how Dick Knight would never interefere with team selection, just ask on match day who was playing.

MA was probably in a better position than Dean Wilkins to insist on there being no interference, that is if there ever was, which we do not know. I do not belive that if we had the top managers in the country here they would make a lot of difference with the squad that we have and with whom they have to work.

The advantage of bringing in an outsider and a new man is that they would probably have more barganing power with DK than the DWs have. They would probably say ' yes I will come and manage but I want XYZ money for players or ABC players because this squad isnt good enough. DK could hardly refuse them as he could the DWs if he wanted them badly enough.

Whenever a new manager comes into any club there is always money made available for him to bring in players either on loan or permanant that would not be available to the outgoing man.

In our case DK has always maintained that we can match the likes of Dichio's present wage so money should not be the problem.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
BensGrandad said:
MA was probably in a better position than Dean Wilkins to insist on there being no interference, that is if there ever was, which we do not know. I do not belive that if we had the top managers in the country here they would make a lot of difference with the squad that we have and with whom they have to work.

The advantage of bringing in an outsider and a new man is that they would probably have more barganing power with DK than the DWs have. They would probably say ' yes I will come and manage but I want XYZ money for players or ABC players because this squad isnt good enough. DK could hardly refuse them as he could the DWs if he wanted them badly enough.

Whenever a new manager comes into any club there is always money made available for him to bring in players either on loan or permanant that would not be available to the outgoing man.

In our case DK has always maintained that we can match the likes of Dichio's present wage so money should not be the problem.

:eek:

Good post

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
There's no shame in ringing McGhee,begging his forgiveness for going with the wishes of the majority, being impatient hotheads, and pleading with him to let us give the poor man another chance.And we'll promise not to moan.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Easy 10 said:
Right, I've been stewing all morning, I've been down the pub, and I'm ready to unload.

Dick Knight needs to shit or get off the pot. He needs to make a decision on the managerial situation, and he needs to make it NOW. Because at the moment, that squad may not be good enough to keep us in this comfortable mid-table position that many people seem to assume we'll automatically achieve by default, just because we're in the Third Division. We need reinforcements, we need them now, and we're clearly not going to get them while Dick Knight dithers over whether or not to give Wilkins the job.

If it is to be Wilkins/White then fine. Give them the job and let them get cracking on that loan market. With Reids injury, we are now in DIRE need of a couple of quality, experienced loan signings to come in and bolster the team (ideally with a view to a permanent move). Alternatively, if its to be one of these "quality applicants" we're led to believe are interested in the job, then fine. Get them in, get their feet under the desk, and again, let them get cracking on some wheeling and dealing. Cos make no mistake - with the squad as it stands right now, we are in TROUBLE with a capital TRUB, and that ain't going to be resolved while we're loafing about picking our arses, smelling our fingers, and idly wondering whether Ant n' Dec looked good in those sumo costumes.

The time we are wasting right now we could well be rueing come the end of the season. WHATEVER happens on Saturday against Chesterfield, I want to hear a decision from Dick Knight before the Blackpool game on October 8th as to who is going to be in charge of this team for the rest of the season. The team, the club and the fans require clear and definate LEADERSHIP from the top in order to move forward in this post-McGhee era. The longer he leaves it, the more difficult its going to get. So Mr Knight - I support you to my very BONES for what you've done at this proud club, but now you MUST decide who's going to be in charge. This Caretaker malarky simply CANNOT be left to go on on indefinately. Its DECISION TIME.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It fascinates me how Dick Knight not going out and appointing a new manager RIGHT NOW is deemed to be evidence of indecision. Firstly, it's just 3 weeks since McGhee was sacked. It's absolutely vital that the next managerial appointment is right (whether it's Wilkins or someone else) - so logic says, let's not rush things. For all we know, DK could be involved in lengthy negotiations with several potential candidates at this very moment. We know there are apparently some interesting names who have put themselves forward. It'll be vital that whoever comes in can work with the DWs, and can be happy with Deano as his assistant. It's also vital that he's an experienced guy who can teach Wilkins the ropes. Let's not assume that no news means no action. It would hardly be appropriate at this juncture for Dick Knight to go public on who he's talking to. To be honest, the fact that he's saying nothing makes me think that he's actually doing a helluva lot, and that we'll find out soon - probably around the Blackpool game.

Oh, and I hardly think Wilkins is brow-beaten by DK into picking players he doesn't want to. Wilkins is in a pretty strong position, given he was (as I understand) about to be poached by a Premiership club to run their youth system, and given the fact that virtually the whole squad love him to bits. He's got a lot of bargaining power at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here