I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

The Large One said:
He's only had three weeks.
Indeed he has, and as I said earlier, I am NOT calling for him to be sacked. But surely Dick Knight has known Wilkins for long enough now to make a decision on whether he can do the job. The fact of the matter is, you're NEVER going to get a cast-iron accurate decision based over half a dozen games in charge of the first team. But we simply can't go on for 2 or 3 months giving Wilkins this "trial period", because there's no way we can start operating in the loan market with all this uncertainty.

If I was Dick, I'd give him the job now until the end of the season, and let him get on with it. But if he's leaning towards these "quality applicants" (that none of us know of yet), then I want them in place by the time we play Blackpool. Its got to be one or the other.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Easy 10 said:
If I was Dick, I'd give him the job now until the end of the season, and let him get on with it.
Even if we then get relegated? How is that better than waiting to see how things pan out a bit longer?

The reason I'm so agnostic is that I don't know if I want Deano for the whole season yet either: I'd like more time to see, maybe DK - again, fearful of being slated no matter what he does - feels the same way?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
At the moment the manager CANNOT get on with running things how he wants.

He is being undermined before he has even officially be named the boss.

Knights need to pick a manager and butt out of team selection and choosing transfer targets and get on with encouraging more fans to turn up at Withdean.

Richie Morris said:
At the moment the manager CANNOT get on with running things how he wants.

He is being undermined before he has even officially be named the boss.

Knights need to pick a manager and butt out of team selection and choosing transfer targets and get on with encouraging more fans to turn up at Withdean.

You keep banging on about DK picking the team. Where have you got that from?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Man of Harveys said:
Even if we then get relegated? How is that better than waiting to see how things pan out a bit longer?

The reason I'm so agnostic is that I don't know if I want Deano for the whole season yet either: I'd like more time to see, maybe DK - again, fearful of being slated no matter what he does - feels the same way?

I really can see what you are saying MOH, but I believe it is that very procrastination that is undermining what Wilkins is trying to do, and could bring a relegation dogfight very much into the equation.

In fact I would go as far as to say that if Dick needs to see Dean Wilkins win a bunch of games first then he probably shouldn't even be considering him anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Man of Harveys said:

For what its worth, if he's given the job then I think Wilkins IS capable of steadying the ship. I like the way he comes across in interviews, he talks a lot of sense, he knows the players and what they're capable of, and he (more than anyone else right now) knows the deficiencies in the squad and where he needs to strengthen.

Even if he were to go on and lose the next 3 games (which is entirely possible), I don't think that'd be a reflection so much on Wilkins, but more on the squad he's been left with, and the fact that at the moment, because he's only a caretaker, his hands are basically tied in terms of shopping around for some loan players to bring in and strengthen. Thats no basis to make a decision on a coaches capablilities - there HAS to be more to it than simply the next few results.

BUT - if DK does has serious reservations about giving it to Wilkins, then he's got to bring someone in, and sooner rather than later. At the moment, I think he's dithering.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Sid James said:

In fact I would go as far as to say that if Dick needs to see Dean Wilkins win a bunch of games first then he probably shouldn't even be considering him anyway.

Exactly, give him the job or get someone else in.

It is mildly offensive to Wilkins he is even having to prove himself. Any new manager coming in would not get a months trial so why should Wilkins?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'm not certain he is dithering, I think the time scale of matches since his temporary appointment has left no time for Wilkins to sit down and look to the far future. Quite literally it has been 3 days between matches and I'd imagine all Wilkins' enegy has been focused on preparing and coaching the team for the next match. Perhaps after Saturday when he has a whole week he may in between the other jobs sit down and work out where he wants to go and then discuss it with DK. Wilkins has already mentioned the current deficiency in the coaching structure and may have ideas of how he wants to proceed with that.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Richie Morris said:
Exactly, give him the job or get someone else in.

It is mildly offensive to Wilkins he is even having to prove himself. Any new manager coming in would not get a months trial so why should Wilkins?
Once bitten, twice shy.

I don't think it's a relfection on Wilkins, it's just the way past internal appointments have worked out mean DK is erring on the side of caution.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Easy 10 said:
At the moment, I think he's dithering.
So much here is taking so much for granted. Any shred of proof that he's NOT in the process of lining someone up, rather than "dithering"? He's the chairman, who has a bunch of mouthy yobs criticising him no matter what he does. Under those circumstances, he has EVERY right in the world to take his time and get it right. Besides, kneejerking, as you're basically implying he should do, rarely leads to the right decision being taken.

And if anyone sincerely thinks - given the stinking pile of manure dumped on NSC today after one sodding defeat last night - that the usual cretins wouldn't be baying for Dick Knight's head if we lost the next three games after Deano getting a contract, you're out of your proverbial mind.

DO SOMETHING NOW!! DON'T CARE WHAT! JUST SOMETHING! is always, always, folly. IMHO.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Silent Bob said:
Once bitten, twice shy.

I don't think it's a relfection on Wilkins, it's just the way past internal appointments have worked out mean DK is erring on the side of caution.
Thank god - I was starting to think I was the only one...thank for you restoring my faith in the human race, not to mention my own judgement...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I trust in DICK - but its time for a DECISION

Man of Harveys said:

DO SOMETHING NOW!! DON'T CARE WHAT! JUST SOMETHING!

:lolol:

Richie Morris said:
Not dodging any question just not a question I can tell you the answer to.

So are you saying you've heard from an inside source that Knight is getting involved in team selection, or that you have no idea what made you suggest it in the first place? Or have you jumped to conclusions based on a throwaway comment apparantly made by Wilkins on the phone in last night?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here