Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I thinking of going teetotal

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Has anyone else on here done this and did they find it hard?

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I did, for medical reasons.

It's not difficult, considering I didn't really drink much before anyway. If drinking and alcohol environments are a large part of your social life, then it's probably more difficult. Maybe giving up smoking would be a better one to start with?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Les, you fool, teetotalers are the illest of the lot and it is a scientific fact teetotalers live on average 7 years less than moderate drinkers, I am a strong believer that the body functions best with a regular and moderate alcohol intake with the odd benders, also more to the point, its great fun drinking

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Tried and failed, longest stint was 3 months. I'm a total binge drinker so it's more my social life I need to change, Sunday to Thursday I don't touch a drop.

And as my friends kept saying, nobody likes a quitter!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I did last year when I was trying to save money, I went to the gym in the week, played poker on friday nights and went out on saturdays but just drank coke. After a month I felt really good, I was never tired and generally in a good mood. It was hard going to the pub at first but once you get used to it it's ok. I lasted 8 weeks, I did have the odd couple of pints in that time but nothing to make me feel bad. I will do it again one day, but at the moment I just like getting wrecked too much. Well worth a go.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tried and failed, longest stint was 3 months. I'm a total binge drinker so it's more my social life I need to change, Sunday to Thursday I don't touch a drop.

And as my friends kept saying, nobody likes a quitter!

Sounds like me really, I only tend to drink on a sat after football.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not a great drinker ( wine is my only real vice that I will admit to) but when I was a youngster, I went for a job at gatwick as a ground steward for British Caledonian, I had to lose a shed loads of weight to get down to weight/height ratio, ie from 15st to 11st. It took me abouyt 7 months and in that time I completely stopped drinking alcohol, fruit juices ( because of sugar) , tea and coffee and just stuck to water.

Suffice it to say, i did not get the job and put it all back on in a couple of months!!!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Depends on motivation. If its to lose your gut then switch to vodka , soda water and lime......job done

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
i did it for 3 months, pretty easy-

but a bit w@nk when you go out with your mates and they're all pissed though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It won't add years to your life...it'll just seem like it.

As Dean Martin said.."I feel sorry for non-drinkers. They wake up in the moening and that's the best they'll feel all day".

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I didn't drink for about 4 years, and only have the occasional cheeky one now. I don't get drunk quite simply cause I fall asleep rather than become bouncy.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If you give up a habit for your own good, then you replace it with another. Maybe you'll take up baboon impersonation or the Welsh language or Gremlinisation as a hobby instead.
But, in general, it depends if you trust rulemakers and their commands. If you do, then go for it, make the rule and follow it. If not, then just tell yourself you're going to cut down and never see a couple of cheeky shots as a failure.

I gave up regular and comfortable drinking due to cognitive impairment and constant headaches and unalcoholic dizziness and endless questions of the make-up of reality and daily pill-swallowing to deter the unseen.

I never thought doing one thing for all your life was all that thrilling, and going down the pub and boozing the night away, even with a load of mates isn't exactly special if you can't have a laugh without alcohol. It's a depressant anyway.

It doesn't help chat decent birds Les Biehn, though if you are sober and they're drunk it might.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
I get very sick after drinking so have considered it on more than one occasion. Since Palace have been doing poorly I will live with the drink for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here