Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
At half time the announcer said something about the club having invited some crippled war heroes from the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq along to the game.

I said, "Heroes?"

At which point two fine gentlemen looked as though they were about to set about me. Much shouting and waving of fists ensued as they proceeded to tell me that one had a son in the army, our "boys" were doing a great job, etc etc.

I explained (or attempted to) that in my view war "heroes" were soldiers who defended their country, not ones who went off to fight uninvited in other countries.

The response (accompanied by much shouting, swearing and aggression) was that they didn't ask to go to Iraq or Afghanistan and were just doing their jobs.

I mumbled something about opposing the Iraq and Afghanistan operations and being entitled to an opinion, to which another guy nearby responded that he didn't disagree with me, but that I should have probably kept my opinions to myself.

At that point I walked away.

What I should have added is that anyone else who gets injured "doing their job" is not automatically called a hero. So why should the military?

It also occured to me that if I had said "heroes!" rather than "heroes?", I would not have had a problem. Interesting how the difference between an exclamation mark and a question mark after a word, even when you're speaking not writing, can make a difference between getting attacked or not!!

Anyway, the two gentlemen in question were certainly not the most savoury of our fellow Seagulls supporters!

At half time the announcer said something about the club having invited some crippled war heroes from the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq along to the game.

I said, "Heroes?"

At which point two fine gentlemen looked as though they were about to set about me. Much shouting and waving of fists ensued as they proceeded to tell me that one had a son in the army, our "boys" were doing a great job, etc etc.

I explained (or attempted to) that in my view war "heroes" were soldiers who defended their country, not ones who went off to fight uninvited in other countries.

The response (accompanied by much shouting, swearing and aggression) was that they didn't ask to go to Iraq or Afghanistan and were just doing their jobs.

I mumbled something about opposing the Iraq and Afghanistan operations and being entitled to an opinion, to which another guy nearby responded that he didn't disagree with me, but that I should have probably kept my opinions to myself.

What I should have added is that anyone else who gets injured "doing their job" is not automatically called a hero. So why should the military?

It also occured to me that if I had said "heroes!" rather than "heroes?", I would not have had a problem. Interesting how the difference between an exclamation mark and a question mark after a word, even when you're speaking not writing, can make a difference between getting attacked or not!!

Anyway, the two gentlemen in question were certainly not the most savoury of our fellow Seagulls supporters!

They'd be right in saying you probably should have kept it shut. Don't even know why you are telling this story now either, to be honest.

As for their 'savoury-ness', they probably don't think you all that tasty either.

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
for what it is worth,

i dont agree with either of the economic wars we are embroiled in, plentiful supply of cheap oil(for america)and loads of jobs for tony b,liar are poor excuses for either war.

BUT the sacrifices of the american and british working class soldiers does demand respect and recognition.

heroes might be slightly over the top,for their injuries may not be a direct result of an act of specific bravery(an heroic act) but,be fair, coping with being in a war zone is a brave act

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You asked for it.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
"asked for it" is too strong but, when you are talking of people being physically disabled in the course of their occupation, a little respect doesn't cost much.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
:tosser:

I said, "Heroes?"

Whilst I understand your point, nonetheless, I feel these unsavoury characters really should have given you a slap due to your appalling insentitivity, you tw@t!!

Now fvck off you pompous cvnt :tosser:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I said, "Heroes?"

i gather by your remarks that you've never served in the aremd forces or have had/got a friend or relative who has done the same or worse still, have never lost someone in the armed forces.

Quite frankly, your comments disgust me. You and posts like the one above is the reason why this board gets a bad name and you thoroughly deserve :tosser::salute:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Heroes? Mugs more like.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is an emotive subject the armed forces and we all have different opinions however at times these are best left unsaid.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A great friend of mine is off to Afghanistan soon. He is a Captain for the Royal Engineers and there is always that nagging feeling that you might not see him again.

He joined he army, not with the sole intention of fighting in a certain war. He joined to serve the country and wherever that takes him. He is a hero in my eyes, as are those that have served before him and will serve after him. Anyone that is willing to put their lives at risk in the line of duty is a hero to me.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
A great friend of mine is off to Afghanistan soon. He is a Captain for the Royal Engineers and there is always that nagging feeling that you might not see him again.

He joined he army, not with the sole intention of fighting in a certain war. He joined to serve the country and wherever that takes him. He is a hero in my eyes, as are those that have served before him and will serve after him. Anyone that is willing to put their lives at risk in the line of duty is a hero to me.

Post of the day BoF :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
but aren't our forces fighting overseas to protect our "freedom"? i didn't realize that included the freedom to get beaten up or feel physically threatened for expressing a point of view. and, last time i checked, we had a volunteer armed service so separating the soldiers from those who make the decision to go to war is a little disingenuous, no?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
goldstone

That was a very silly post - which shows a complete
ignorance of other people's experiences or feelings.

You should twice think before you do again -

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I'll qualify that:

...if you have the capacity for rational and/or intelligent thought which I
doubt very much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here