Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I sometimes despair with the people who follow this club

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Its not a relevant issue.

It only becomes a problem if more senior, regular first team starters feel that they arent getting paid their share.

Forster & Hammond would get more.

And as for the rest they arent currently in a position to demand parity with those players.

Why do you have this notion that it's only 'junior' or 'younger' players who would demand a pay rise to match Bas' wages? So of course it's relevant.

As for those 'not in a position to demand' - that's missing the point completely. They would (and do) make those demands. What the club does about it, and the players' subsequent reactions - that's the issue.

Just because you don't think they ought to make wage demands doesn't mean to say they don't.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why do you have this notion that it's only 'junior' or 'younger' players who would demand a pay rise to match Bas' wages? So of course it's relevant.

As for those 'not in a position to demand' - that's missing the point completely. They would (and do) make those demands. What the club does about it, and the players' subsequent reactions - that's the issue.

Just because you don't think they ought to make wage demands doesn't mean to say they don't.

Because I am scratching my head trying to think of any senior players left that have a good case to argue that they are currently worth more than they are getting at present based on the case of the Savage scenario.

You have to first make a case that you are currently as important as the player you wish to be on similar money.

Its not like a call centre where if Jimmy gets a rise then all would expect one, there needs to be a genuine case of performance related pay if you like.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because I am scratching my head trying to think of any senior players left that have a good case to argue that they are currently worth more than they are getting at present based on the case of the Savage scenario.

You have to first make a case that you are currently as important as the player you wish to be on similar money.

Its not like a call centre where if Jimmy gets a rise then all would expect one, there needs to be a genuine case of performance related pay if you like.

So you're now saying that neither senior players NOR junior (I'll think of a better phrase for the youngsters later) have a case to raise their wage demands to the level of Bas' wage demands?

But then, it could be argued, neither did Bas.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you're now saying that neither senior players NOR junior (I'll think of a better phrase for the youngsters later) have a case to raise their wage demands to the level of Bas' wage demands?

But then, it could be argued, neither did Bas.

No I am saying that I cant see any current player, senior or otherwise that would of expected an increase in their pay, should of Bas signed an improved deal.

Because I am saying I dont know any that would, yet you argue to the contrary, isnt it you that needs to give an example, I cant because as explained I cant think of any !!

Name names please.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Read the squad list, BigGully. You'll find the names there.

What TLO is saying is that they will and do ask for parity. Just because they don't have a strong case does not mean that it doesn't happen.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No I am saying that I cant see any current player, senior or otherwise that would of expected an increase in their pay, should of Bas signed an improved deal.

Because I am saying I dont know any that would, yet you argue to the contrary, isnt it you that needs to give an example, I cant because as explained I cant think of any !!

Name names please.

Who they would be is irrelevant. You're asking me to justify deserving cases. I can't do that because I don't know.

The central point is - and this is the one you seem to want to overlook - if Bas had become 'the highest paid player' at a time when the perceived wisdom is that he didn't deserve to be, it would set the precedent would that other players would go to the chairman and demanding the same treatment.

The club just cannot afford to do that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

What TLO is saying is that they will and do ask for parity. Just because they don't have a strong case does not mean that it doesn't happen.

That's exactly the point I'm making.

Big Gully doesn't seem to think that this sort of thing happens, or that it would happen in this instance. The answer is - of course it does.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I cant quite work out why you wont give a reasonable example.

If they havent got a strong case they are unlikely to ask, Wilkins would put them straight before it even got near to the Chairmans door.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I cant quite work out why you wont give a reasonable example.

If they havent got a strong case they are unlikely to ask, Wilkins would put them straight before it even got near to the Chairmans door.

Wilkins doesn't get involved in the players' salaries. He is not in a position to stop players going to the chairman.

Player don't need 'a strong case' to ask. They're going to do it anyway. Bas didn't have a particularly strong case, but he (or rather, his agent) asked for it nonetheless.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's exactly the point I'm making.

Big Gully doesn't seem to think that this sort of thing happens, or that it would happen in this instance. The answer is - of course it does.

If a player signs a new improved deal and the terms are rumoured around the dressing room, the players that might take this into account would be those that have some comparison to that player in terms of talent or importance to the first team.

To suggest it would be likely to start an avalanche of other players that cannot argue this comparison is unrealistic.

I cant really think beyond Hammond & Forster who might use this as a bargaining tool, but these would already be offered terms above and beyond anything Bas would of demanded.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Wilkins doesn't get involved in the players' salaries. He is not in a position to stop players going to the chairman.

Player don't need 'a strong case' to ask. They're going to do it anyway. Bas didn't have a particularly strong case, but he (or rather, his agent) asked for it nonetheless.

Well in that case they will ask anyway irrespective of Bas as unless your the top earner there is always someone in your team that is better paid than you.

I am not necessarily a Bas fan, but he had a right to ask as the team was doing particularly well at the time of negotiation, and Wilkins wanted him to stay, the Chairman didnt so he left.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...Wilkins wanted him to stay, the Chairman didnt so he left.

Sorry, but that is nonsense. DK clearly stated time and again that the club had made him an offer and then increased it to the tune of an extra £10k per year, He also stated that he hoped that Bas would sign it. He was saying this right up to New Year's Eve.

What DK wasn't going to do was cave in to totally unrealistic demands.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If a player signs a new improved deal and the terms are rumoured around the dressing room, the players that might take this into account would be those that have some comparison to that player in terms of talent or importance to the first team.

To suggest it would be likely to start an avalanche of other players that cannot argue this comparison is unrealistic.

I cant really think beyond Hammond & Forster who might use this as a bargaining tool, but these would already be offered terms above and beyond anything Bas would of demanded.

So when Dick said that Bas made a wage demand to be the highest paid player, what you're inferring from that is that he meant 'highest paid player apart from Hammond and Forster'? Plus you have the small matter of pissing Hammond off royally by making Savage the club captain.

I appreciate you're finding this incredulous about wage demands, but you're still insisting on highlighting a side issue - i.e. whether you feel any given player or players have a deserving case to make a wage demand.

The real issue - in the real world - in reality, is that players make wage demands all the time. If Bas' wage demands had been met, others would have beaten a path to Dick's door demanding the same. What Dick would have done about it is anyone's guess, aside from to say that would have been like Emu... i.e. he'd created a rod for his own back.

I suspect Dick would possibly have said the same as you're saying - 'no, sunshine, you're not a deserving case - you haven't earned it etc...' To which the reply would be 'well, nor did Bas...' And from there, you end up sowing the seeds of resentment, dis-harmony and acrimony.

Oh, and as I understand it from more than one person involved in the club, the players (wrongly in my opinion) have a bit of a habit of tending to let slip who's on what money.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well in that case they will ask anyway irrespective of Bas as unless your the top earner there is always someone in your team that is better paid than you.
Correct. It happens all the time.

I am not necessarily a Bas fan, but he had a right to ask as the team was doing particularly well at the time of negotiation, and Wilkins wanted him to stay, the Chairman didnt so he left.

He had a right to ask for a pay increase of course. And the chairman has the right to say 'this is what we think you're worth, this is what we can afford, and are going to offer you X' The discrepancy between a chairman's valuation and an agent's is always going to be laughably big. But to insist on being club captain? That's a beauty of a demand.

I can't see how the chairman didn't want him to stay if he'd made him an offer which was in line with what the club could afford.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is clear the club MUST invest in the squad to halt the decline in the fan base... this is GOOD not BAD business... Dick and the board clearly recognise that... it seems that many on here still don't understand that, including the much-hailed DT...

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner

Name names please.

I'll Give You One Name, Nathan Elder. Sod That Waste Of Space, Hammond. He Can f*** Off To Charlton And The Wheelies For All I Care. Elder Deserves And Should Get A Big Pay Rise And New Contract For Saving Our Bacon and Giving Us Renewed Hope Over The Last Couple Of Games.

Look At The Way He Has Led From The Front When He Has Come On. He Should Be Made Captain When Hammond Quits.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I'll Give You One Name, Nathan Elder. Sod That Waste Of Space, Hammond. He Can f*** Off To Charlton And The Wheelies For All I Care. Elder Deserves And Should Get A Big Pay Rise And New Contract For Saving Our Bacon and Giving Us Renewed Hope Over The Last Couple Of Games.

Look At The Way He Has Led From The Front When He Has Come On. He Should Be Made Captain When Hammond Quits.
Are you Nathan Elder's Mum?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Bars mar or whatever your name is - do you intentionally set out in every thread to position yourself as posessing one of the coutry's smallest and most ineffectual brains, or are you simply an utter fucknut that jerks off at home every time you post something that you see as 'controversial' in your tiny deluded mind?

Every post I read that you post is literary sewage. Try and say something interesting or incisive - I have written down in front of me the two probable replies you will make to this post - please surprise me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here