Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I sometimes despair with the people who follow this club

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
brilliantly put, nice to know someone knows what they're talking about.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Is this the same Digweeds Trousers,who, instead of sitting in the cold and pouring rain at Withers for the last two and half years has been, until recently, in America...........?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Good post DT.

Unfortunately - although people have the right to their opinion - the less intelligent, poorly informed, sensationalist, reactionary, 'look at me' brigade seem to rise to the fore every time something, no matter how small, goes wrong.

In the good old days before internet forums and phone-ins we all rallied together when the chips were down. We fought for our club and did everything in our power to ensure its survival.

Nowadays, halfwits perpetuate negativity at every turn. It doesn't help anyone. All it does it bring attention to the poster, which is obviously what they crave.

The performance at Oldham yesterday was magnificent. It made me proud to be an Albion fan.

To a man, the players were fantastic. They showed, by their reaction at the final whistle, that they care as much as we do.

Let's harness some positivity for a change...

Last edited:

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I vowed at the end of last year to wave goodbye to NSC because I'm totally fed up with the sort of stuff DT talks about (I popped in today just for a quick one) So that is all, nice one DT well said. And I'm off again. So long.

Grumpy old twat.

:bla:

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Totally agree with DT. I'm sure some of the criticism of DK is just ignorance of how normal businesses, let alone football clubs, are run. The club runs at a substantial loss each year and if it were an ordinary business would have gone bust years ago. Tickets and merchandising doesn't cover costs, it's the board (and a few wealthy donors with faith in them) that has kept the club afloat with donations and interest free loans. There's very little prospect of anyone getting their money back.

Some of the comments on this site make me despair. Considering the club loses half a million quid or so each year, I think our transfer budget is huge. And the club are doing their best for the long term with Falmer secured against the odds, the successful youth team, and fan-wise with the £1 tickets in the family stand.

DK has never pretended to be Abramovich, that business model is not available (although some on NSC seem to think there are billionaires queuing up!). DK's a decent man who's made enough money to spend his time sunning himself on a yacht somewhere, but instead using his business skills to get us out of the shit.

He certainly doesn't deserve any of the shit that's thrown at him by Ernest, sir albion, etc.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ahhh! it's been an emoyional day in the house of Saville and coming on here often depresses me. I often leave my PC somewhat befuddled by the ridiculous tripe that people post on here. It's nice to hear common sense and reason and also good to see a sensible post left somewhat unattacked.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Good post DT.

Unfortunately - although people have the right to their opinion - the less intelligent, poorly informed, sensationalist, reactionary, 'look at me' brigade seem to rise to the fore every time something, no matter how small, goes wrong.

In the good old days before internet forums and phone-ins we all rallied together when the chips were down. We fought for our club and did everything in our power to ensure its survival.

Nowadays, halfwits perpetuate negativity at every turn. It doesn't help anyone. All it does it bring attention to the poster, which is obviously what they crave.

The performance at Oldham yesterday was magnificent. It made me proud to be an Albion fan.

To a man, the players were fantastic. They showed, by their reaction at the final whistle, that they care as much as we do.

Let's harness some positivity for a change...

Absolutely :clap: :clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Although I have no evidence, I have always assumed that the average age of the people posting on NSC is below or around the average age of the players. Therefore, most were not even born when we played in the cup final and some will be too young to remember the likes of fans reunited, Hereford, Wilkins' free kick in '91 etc.

How many will remember names such as John Campbell and Brian Bedson?

My point is that we went through some very lean times before Mr Archer and his cronies came on board. Mike Bamber was the figurehead of a very dynamic boardroom with the likes of Harry Bloom and more importantly Keith Wickenden (he was the head of Townsend Thoresen Ferries and every advertising board around the ground was for his company - Ferry Ferry Nice etc. etc.). Mr Wickenden crashed his Dove aircraft whilst landing at Shoreham Airport and that was the start of the slippery slope for our club. In the same era Mr Bloom died on the club coach in Stoke. The directors that came in to replace them had relatively little cash (at £1 per share who needed cash!) and they were unable to inject the necessary funds. They tried to win the fans around by re-introducing Alan Mullery but could not back that up with the sort of money Mullery was used to spending in his first term at the club. The club became the 'Executive Toy' of the local businessmen and headed downhill fast.

It has been a long struggle and we need to be patient. Apart for 7 or 8 years in the late 70's and early 80's the club is probably in the strongest position it has been in since I started watching them around 40 years ago. The Goldstone Ground, although not ideal, was our heaven. Withdean and Gillingham have been our hell. Falmer will be our ultimate heaven but we must be patient. It would be nice to be in the Premier League but we are not! We could have been out of the top four leagues, but we are not! In football, one team is champion and the rest are also rans but still hundreds of thousands of supporters go to watch their teams every week. Let's just be thankful that we are still able to do so and get behind the club.

We are the custodians of the club and we should not try to destroy it by moaning every time we drop a point or two or go out of the cup. We need to look after the club for our kids and their kids. It is our privelege to support them so get behind them.

Too right SotA (or can I call you Eddie?).

Some have pondered over why the people of Brighton could not have bought the club when there was a chance to save the Goldstone. That was then, but after all the club has been through as an entity, and staying alive despite all odds - and by the slenderest conceivable margin too! - why rail AGAINST the club now.... and ESPECIALLY now!??

After making it through ALL the crap, GET BEHIND THIS CLUB!

STOP the whinging and backbiting, NO undermining the people who DO care, and who ARE doing as much as possible to maintain the name, and DON'T discourage those who have brought it this far!

Oh, and GET BEHIND THE TEAM TOO!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Excellent post, DT and you too, Soul Finger, have hit the nail on the head.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The problem is the instant success culture that seems to be filtering its way down the leagues and a lot of fans have lost their grasp on realism.

There is not a better example of this than the current situation at Newcastle

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Big support for DTs articulation of the long-term situation.

In the last few weeks, I have become concerned how the pressure that 'moaning' fans - whether on here, the SCr phone-in and at home games - has put on the players and management of the club. I think that was evident at the final whistle on saturday, and helps to explain the emotional reaction from the playing and coaching staff. Witness also some of the players' reaction on scoring at Withdean, notably Revell.
So, my message to the moaners and complainers is, yes, you are entitled to your say, but it is counter-productive. The only way we have been able to get through the last few years is to pull together. If we are divisive, in the long-run, we are lost.
PG

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You want them to spend money they don't have on p[layers at 5k per week to get us up - well let's see the business sense behind that - what are you going to do when we finish 18th in the Championship? Reality is that we will still be at Withdean, no cash-flow coming in from seats that don't exist.

It's just maths - you fork out more money than you are able to bring in and you go bust. That has been the case for 11 f***ing years - and we are still here fighting. Who the hell do you think is responsible for that? Us? Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but no - it's not us - we help but we are not responsible. It is down the people who have bank-rolled a club that has had to face the toughest time in it's 100 year + history without any real chance of thanks.

And those who now want to hang those people out to dry should think long and hard.

A good post no doubt ..... a little nostalgic and rallying at the same time .... however I have to say knitted together in places with some inaccuracies.

DK undoubtedly has his place in the clubs history and will be looked at favourably and good for him he deserves it for his actions some 10 years ago, however that cannot stop debate about his actions indefinately.

The club is living and breathing in the present and I do think that DK actions recently have been to the detriment of our clubs progress and rightly many are angry and frustrated.

It just isnt true to say that players were demanding £5,000 per week.

DK decided that he would veto negotiations on key players whilst the players were still likely to sign, yes it would of taken some tweaking here and there, but thats how negotiations go, it aint all one way.

The financial implications of securing these players services were not massive.

I would argue that it would of been a sound investment as we would of beaten Mansfield and got £40,000 and a likely other plumb tie with further revenue streams after that, we would of had a realistic chance of a play off place and increased gates and maybe a new generation of supporters to take to Falmer.

He alone went to the press to condemn both the out of contract players and a side that have punched above their weight all season for a dismal display against Millwall.

It damaged morale and I assume has posed real problems for the coaching staff.

Yes DK well played 10 years ago, but you have had an absolute stinker this year.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A good post no doubt ..... a little nostalgic and rallying at the same time .... however I have to say knitted together in places with some inaccuracies.

DK undoubtedly has his place in the clubs history and will be looked at favourably and good for him he deserves it for his actions some 10 years ago, however that cannot stop debate about his actions indefinately.

The club is living and breathing in the present and I do think that DK actions recently have been to the detriment of our clubs progress and rightly many are angry and frustrated.

DK decided that he would veto negotiations on key players whilst the players were still likely to sign, yes it would of taken some tweaking here and there, but thats how negotiations go, it aint all one way.

I would argue that it would of been a sound investment as we would of beaten Mansfield and got £40,000 and a likely other plumb tie with further revenue streams after that, we would of had a realistic chance of a play off place and increased gates and maybe a new generation of supporters to take to Falmer.

He alone went to the press to condemn both the out of contract players and a side that have punched above their weight all season for a dismal display against Millwall.

Yes DK well played 10 years ago, but you have had an absolute stinker this year.

I doubt if Adams, Taylor or Coppell would have accepted Knights chunderings so I do not see why DW would put up with morale damaging speeches for long without saying something. Mind you he is a bit soft is our Dean.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I doubt if Adams, Taylor or Coppell would have accepted Knights chunderings so I do not see why DW would put up with morale damaging speeches for long without saying something. Mind you he is a bit soft is our Dean.

Well if you heard Souness about his time at Newcastle, you wouldnt of expected him to have allowed the Chairman buying players he didnt want either !!

Wilkins concerns are kept in house.

All very well, but at what point in DK's tenure has the criticism (aka your "debate about his actions", which is 99% negative!) EVER stopped??
He probably got a few weeks of respite after wresting the club from the scum (if that - he was likely accused of being 'in with' them at the beginning!), and the CLOSER he has got to reaching a HIGHLY DESERVED plateau of calm and quiet, the LOUDER and more obnoxious the barracking and interrogations have been!!

The club is UNIFIED in all wanting the same thing;- SUCCESS FOR BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION!!
So WHY should ANY of the staff for this club actually be happy with poor performances, poor returns, malcontented players (especially the likes we have just had!) or anyone that might undermine or deviate The Albion from the course?

If you want to defeat someone, the mantra is "DIVIDE AND CONQUER". So the divisiveness that Dick Knight does not need to endure, or be beaten down by - I hope and pray he continues to work through and past.
ENOUGH of the anti sentiment.
Blind-allegiance isn't even close for anyone around The Albion, in fact I imagine Dick Knight would laugh ironically at the thought!
You want a league football club in Brighton City? SUPPORT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here