Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hope Dean Wikins Doesn't Sign the Contract....

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
Someone who knows how to turn a game around with substitutions. We've seen other teams come and do it to us.

And we've done it to other teams as well Yorkie. Like I posted earlier what makes you think any other manager could've done better?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Complete Badger said:
He's had to ask boys to do mens jobs because the men that got left by McGhee simply weren't good enough. Because of that, I think he's done bloody well to have us safe. So often teams fall through the leagues, and I felt we had that look about us under McGhee. He's been very shrewd with his signings (and also very unlucky they have been injured/called back). He more than deserves his chance in my opinion, and as long as Knight backs him (as well as the small matter of letting him do what he wants with the team), then I think we will be ok next year. However, if Knight hands out the contracts again and is even tighter on the purse strings, we're DOOMED no matter who's in the dugout.

You may well be unhappy with the signings then.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
British Bulldog said:
And we've done it to other teams as well Yorkie. Like I posted earlier what makes you think any other manager could've done better?

I said that last September and have been proved to be right.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Yorkie said:
I agree overall so why did we waste money sacking the last manager? I know a lot of people dont want to go over that again but it happened and we have gone for the cheap option that isn't working I'm afraid.

So do you think the sacking of Mcghee was unjustified?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kenhead said:

It would take too long to explain all my feelings over the whole thing.

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
He's had to ask boys to do mens jobs because the men that got left by McGhee simply weren't good enough. Because of that, I think he's done bloody well to have us safe. So often teams fall through the leagues, and I felt we had that look about us under McGhee. He's been very shrewd with his signings (and also very unlucky they have been injured/called back). He more than deserves his chance in my opinion, and as long as Knight backs him (as well as the small matter of letting him do what he wants with the team), then I think we will be ok next year. However, if Knight hands out the contracts again and is even tighter on the purse strings, we're DOOMED no matter who's in the dugout.
What the same guy who didn't play....Hart and Frutos?Two very good players who need a season of playing to keep up their previous good form.And then bring in youth team players in their positions who were clearly not ready for a year or so.Don't get me wrong I appreciate a youth teamer getting experiance (I do) but seriously for a whole season infront of a first teamer(even if they do well for a couple of games)....well bloody hell.Don't forget this ain't the "wonderkid Premiership you know.This is realitiy with a bump!!:nono:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kenhead said:

My feelings were made very clear 8 months ago.

I'm off to bed now. Good night

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yorkie said:
My feelings were made very clear 8 months ago.

I'm off to bed now. Good night

Moan moan moan.You are rather boring now.Good night

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yorkie said:
I said that last September and have been proved to be right.

Far from it, give the two managers an equal chance and then judge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
Someone who knows how to turn a game around with substitutions. We've seen other teams come and do it to us. We need more consistency.
Bertin played brilliantly when he first came here and seems to have faded. It's almost as though he has had it coached out of him.
Players don't move off the ball into positions where passes can be made. It's almost as though if a pass is successful it is just lucky.

I am told I am a MSP so why is that a woman is the only one on here that has summed up the situation re Dean Wilkins correctly.

I dont know how much imput he has on the team but I belive the problem lies not with Dean Wilkins but his back up staff are all inexperienced as well. Dean White should revert to scouting the local leagues, which he knows, we should bring in either an experienced No2 or coach not sure about Chapman again very inexperienced.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thing is though, I also believe we are only about 3 players short of being a top 8 side,

Didnt MM say similar last season when we were in the Championship with mostly the same players

Last edited:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I also believe we are only about 3 players short of being a top 8 side, largely due to the complete incompetance of most teams in this league.

I also happen to think that we are not that far off having a side that can challenge for promotion. With Hammond and Reid fit again and the youngsters (in particular Cox and Robinson) having had the close season to recharge their batteries, we will have the makings of a decent side, particularly if we can hang on to Bertin or Lynch, or both. If we can sign Whing, we will solve the RB problem and have another dimension going forward. The key, of course, will be to find a proven goalscorer.

As to Wilkins' tactical nous, I think the home match against Orient, albeit against a poor side and 10 men, showed that he is capable of getting the team to play the right way, i.e. on the deck. (Paul Reid was outstanding in that match, and I think we have missed his intelligent play in midfield.) The fact that Wilkins had to throw in so many youngsters at once meant though that the team was always going to struggle for consistency, and perhaps some of his good footballing principles have had to be sacrificed along the way in the effort to achieve results. With a season's experience behind them, the young players will become more confident and consistent.

I'll take my rose-tinted specs off now.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I won't bother predicting what will happen in the summer because who we keep, sign or lose is anyone's guess.

What I would say is if we had had the likes of Reid and Hinshelwood fit and the likes of Bertin, Savage here from the start we'd be doing much better. Our very successful period earlier in the season coincided with Hinshelwood's brief run in the side.

It's also easy to forget that we were without Hammond and Lynch yesterday who have really developed into good players this season. Hammond's been struggling with his hernia for months. The loan signings of Flinders, Whing, Rehman, Bowditch etc show Wilkins can bring in some good loan signings.

At the moment we're lacking a balance in the team. We're massivly missing Hammond because we don't have enough players who can/will win the ball back when we don't have it.

I think Wilkins has proven himself in the transfer market and at times his tactical awareness has been very good but then he still needs to prove this consistantly.

With a side like this for the whole season we'd have been doing much better: Flinders; Whing, Hinshelwood, Lynch, Rents; Reid, Bertin, Hammond, Cox, Bowditch, Savage. The likes of Butters, Robinson, Revell, Ward, Rehman etc too all maybe in that side or on the bench.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Turkey said:
I won't bother predicting what will happen in the summer because who we keep, sign or lose is anyone's guess.

What I would say is if we had had the likes of Reid and Hinshelwood fit and the likes of Bertin, Savage here from the start we'd be doing much better. Our very successful period earlier in the season coincided with Hinshelwood's brief run in the side.

It's also easy to forget that we were without Hammond and Lynch yesterday who have really developed into good players this season. Hammond's been struggling with his hernia for months. The loan signings of Flinders, Whing, Rehman, Bowditch etc show Wilkins can bring in some good loan signings.

At the moment we're lacking a balance in the team. We're massivly missing Hammond because we don't have enough players who can/will win the ball back when we don't have it.

I think Wilkins has proven himself in the transfer market and at times his tactical awareness has been very good but then he still needs to prove this consistantly.

With a side like this for the whole season we'd have been doing much better: Flinders; Whing, Hinshelwood, Lynch, Rents; Reid, Bertin, Hammond, Cox, Bowditch, Savage. The likes of Butters, Robinson, Revell, Ward, Rehman etc too all maybe in that side or on the bench.

The most sensible post of the day. :clap:

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Yorkie said:
Someone who knows how to turn a game around with substitutions.

Like yesterday you mean? Ward for el-abd and a much more inventive, creative and dominant midfield?

For f***'s sake, why can't people just see the good in the team for a change?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
bathseagull said:
Like yesterday you mean? Ward for el-abd and a much more inventive, creative and dominant midfield?

With an end result of FA.

Better to have taken Mayo off and put El Abd back at right back after about 1 minute of the game.

The man we missed yesterday was Lynch without a doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here