Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate that bloody accent, you get me?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe its an age thing but the word that really bugs me is "like" as in "I`m like.... " "He`s like.....". I am told it means "said". If so , why not say so. English obviously a second language for lots of our yoof.

I'm 30 and it bugs me.

"I was like really angry" - If you were 'like really angry', then surely you were really angry, so there is absolutely no need to throw in the word 'like'. Stems from that god awful film 'Clueless'.

A very dear friend of mine will always say "Can I get a [insert name of drink/food/etc]?" - No, no, no. They are getting it for you!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I remember a couple of years ago Brighton and Hove Council (and this was when it was run by the Tories, not the Greens) banned an American rap group, whose lyrics included, "Boom boom boom boom, boom da batty boy", i.e. shoot gay people. The Argus website then had comments on it about banning free speech. Right, you don't like someone, so kill them. The same people probably kick up when Nick Griffin is interviewed. Now, I have no time for him, but for me both are equally bad.

Thing is, all these lefties go on about lack of employment opportunities. Would you employ someone who can barely speak coherently.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I remember a couple of years ago Brighton and Hove Council (and this was when it was run by the Tories, not the Greens) banned an American rap group, whose lyrics included, "Boom boom boom boom, boom da batty boy", i.e. shoot gay people. The Argus website then had comments on it about banning free speech. Right, you don't like someone, so kill them. The same people probably kick up when Nick Griffin is interviewed. Now, I have no time for him, but for me both are equally bad.

Thing is, all these lefties go on about lack of employment opportunities. Would you employ someone who can barely speak coherently.

That was a good few years ago, 1988 in fact, and it wasn't an American rap group. It was Buju Banton with this tune :

[yt]SWa7fzeX3xo[/yt]

This is him later on in his career however. Shows a maturity I'd say.

[yt]eJVfPU87hws[/yt]

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Some years ago I had to interview a southern Irish subcontractor who didn't really understand about his tax affairs. We were having a bit of trouble so his son decided he would help out - now son was about 16, alabaster white skin and ginger hair and spoke "yoof". Probably the most incongruous thing I think I have ever seen - Dad speaks like one of the Dubliners and son like one of the Wailers ! And I thought to myself at the time, and still do think ,"Why" ? Why lose your own identity and try and become something you're not. Why does an Irishman want to talk like a West Indian ?"
And yes "can I get ?' - one of my very favourite rants. Loathsome expression and one that, when combined with the questioning inflection favoured by our Antipodean friends, is likely to send me into my alter ego of "Grumpy old seagull" !!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They aren't "trying to talk like black kids" its the way they talk all the time, i f***ing despise it.

Youz shudhaz teold mez,i'd av breght me bregins dawn freom leondan mate,in zee cavalier sri,blud clot me-an,and carved this muftha fawker up.

Anybody remember that youth from Leeds in Big Brother a few years ago? Was he called Science or some stupid name like it? Had no trace of a Yorkshire accent so obviously didn't mix with white people. He said "you get me?" at the end of every other sentence. Made me want to throw my dictionary through the TV screen!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Anybody remember that youth from Leeds in Big Brother a few years ago? Was he called Science or some stupid name like it? Had no trace of a Yorkshire accent so obviously didn't mix with white people. He said "you get me?" at the end of every other sentence. Made me want to throw my dictionary through the TV screen!

And that Bonnie bird? "My names Bonnie,doyall get me" that's all she ever said-f$ck off bitch-would have been my reply.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The worse'new' word use is issue instead of problem, i have serious issues with that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dislike Manchester accents more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here