Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I had a ticket, I didn't go and I didn't miss it [MERGED THREADS]

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Hmmm. The most interesting thread for ages, notwithstanding some of the usual mudslinging which seems to be obligatory on here when passions run high - I hope somebody inside the club is looking at this.

I too had a hiatus of about half a season during the Gillingham days when it was just too depressing, but a nothing special midweek away game at Cambridge I went to on a whim brought it all flooding back, how important it was and is to me.

I don't think it will ever leave you completely Storer68 (just think about the meaning implicit in your own username for a start), it probably just feels that way at the mo. Somebody already said on here that this club gets under your skin, I certainly subscribe to that. I don't think things are as bad as they have been, but there's a lot of validity in the suggestion that we lack a common enemy to rally together against. Maybe the fact that we seem to be in something of a flat period post-Falmer campaign and pre-Falmer delivery, coupled with the mind numbing, soul destroying, atmosphere sucking void that is Withdean, have brought about your feeling of malaise.

I hope you'll be back, old boy.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
This thread should be GOLD....!

Good points made by so many people.

Despite all the moans by people about some of the threads recently, it has at least drawn DK to a phone-in..........and miraculously, further information on the Seagulls site re: Falmer.

Maybe, just maybe, the board IS taking notice of how people like Storer68 and Portland Seagull feel............they are not alone by a long , long way.

I,m struggling to motivate myself to go to Withdean this year, despite having a season ticket.I can understand those supporters who just go to away games, and I think I would probably enjoy that more...........but I,m well aware that this does nothing to put money into the club as far as gate revenue goes.

The club has been far too quiet the last few months with regards to Falmer. They might not have much information, but every bit of updates they can give, will help keep those few supporters they already have, interested in the club.

As have so many others in the past, we have all done something over the years to help save this club, whether it be protests, writing letters , campaigning, alive and kicking, the forty note fund or just arguing our corner with opposing factions, and consequently, we feel very much a part of this club. The last few months in particular, have been something of a vacuum for many of those people and the lack of information and news has made many people feel......"what the f*** was that all about..?"

I hope the phone-in and more news coming from the club will at least help some of us understand what is going on.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Quite a few of my mates that I regularly used to see (coupled with a few people that used to sit near me) have stopped going. They cite the cost mainly. One mate of mine who probably goes about twice a season said he can barely afford his mortgage, so he can't justify the cost of random tickets (at £24 or so) let alone a season ticket at £400 plus.

The lad I sit next to has definately waivered in the last two seasons and he's been a regular since being a babe in arms in the early 70's. He is still a season ticket holder but I reckon he misses 50% of the games due to other committments - something he would not have done a couple of years ago. He normally sells his ticket on - but I've got a feeling he won't bother with the ticket at all next season.

Having been a regular during the late 70's to the early to mid-90's, I stopped going for a bit during the mid/late 90's but that was to do with working most saturdays - but I have to say you do get out of the habit. I had to be almost dragged along again and the game I saw was one of the last in the first season at Withdean. However once I got over the shock of watching football at this second-rate venue, I got hooked again and soon decided to get a season ticket. However there have been some days when I wonder why I bother - but give it a week or so and I'm usually up for it again!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I often feel a bit depressed straight after a wank. Anyone else suffer from this?

I don't know if I get depressed after you have had a wank...I did feel a bit down in the dumps on Sunday evening...had you been Spanking the Monkey?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The single most useful thing the club could do to make a ticket affordable again is to allow people with Brighton addresses to opt out of the £5 or so mandatory transport ticket. I don't own a car, I live near the ground, and a Day Saver on the 5/5A is £3.20. I'm perfectly capable of walking to and from the ground, or paying for my own bus fare. The transport surcharge is crap and is putting people off going who actually live in the town the club is supposed to represent.

But removing the transport element would encourage people back into their cars to come to games. Which is diametrically opposite to club policy.

But I agree it should be voluntary at the point of purchase tho. You should be able to refuse the travel option if you want to.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The transport element is I believe worth £3 in terms of ticket cost so even by opting out, those who use public transport would pay more. As Storer says, those who would benefit are those who wont use public transport (such as Kiss and Ride, walkers and those who drive).

It isn't just a matter of club policy though, it is a planning requirements to promote use of public transport so as to reduce use of car. An opting out option would therefore only logically be available to those in walking distance and how the club can/should police that is anybody's guess.

But as a season ticket holder, I accept there needs to be a cost reduction. My ticket works out at £19 per match I believe so if the club sold tickets for the east stand for £15 and the wings in the south for £17 for games I wouldn't have a problem. For some games (e.g. Leeds) then full price for all and for others reduce even further would be okay too.

As for mid south stand (my seat area) I still dont have a problem with varying prices with some games being significantly less as long as the average price over the season isn't less than the season ticket price.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The transport element is I believe worth £3 in terms of ticket cost so even by opting out, those who use public transport would pay more. As Storer says, those who would benefit are those who wont use public transport (such as Kiss and Ride, walkers and those who drive).

'Kiss and Ride'? WTF? :lol:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
'Kiss and Ride'? WTF? :lol:

sorry, it's a term used in transport modelling (and I dont mean naked beletia beacons) to describe where a wife or loved one drops the person at the ground and drives away. It's like park and ride only more sensual.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
sorry, it's a term used in transport modelling (and I dont mean naked beletia beacons) to describe where a wife or loved one drops the person at the ground and drives away. It's like park and ride only more sensual.

Ah right! Cheers for clarification. Thought for a mo' that I was missing out on yet more 'Gold Member Personal Services' over and beyond the missing DVD :blush:

I assume the £3 (or whatever it is) transport element pays for the P&R stewards and buses for those who drive so, in principle, it is only those like THPP who walk who will benefit from its removal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I assume the £3 (or whatever it is) transport element pays for the P&R stewards and buses for those who drive so, in principle, it is only those like THPP who walk who will benefit from its removal.

Well, 'only' me and most of the other residents of Brighton who want to go to the game. Who in their right minds lives in Brighton and uses the P&R? We'll walk, or we'll use our railway season ticket to get to Preston Park station or our student bus pass on the 5 or 5A. Nope, sorry, whichever way you look at it, the residents of Brighton who support the Albion are being charged for something they don't need and in many cases don't use. Surely not beyond the wit and wisdom of the club to allow a transport surcharge opt-out for tickets bought from specified Brighton & Hove postcodes. Might just boost attendances.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was going to say those of us who walk should get extra discount seeing as we have no carbon footprint, but any one who's seen me dragging my aged carcass up Surrenden Road pumping out great lungfuls of C02 knows it's probably greener to give me my own 4x4.

(Still want to see THPP's excellent suggestion that we can turn the Travel Voucher into a Luncheon Voucher)

Well, 'only' me and most of the other residents of Brighton who want to go to the game. Who in their right minds lives in Brighton and uses the P&R? We'll walk, or we'll use our railway season ticket to get to Preston Park station or our student bus pass on the 5 or 5A. Nope, sorry, whichever way you look at it, the residents of Brighton who support the Albion are being charged for something they don't need and in many cases don't use. Surely not beyond the wit and wisdom of the club to allow a transport surcharge opt-out for tickets bought from specified Brighton & Hove postcodes. Might just boost attendances.

Maybe I misunderstood, so to get this straight, your suggestion to boost attendence is:
1) Two types of match and season ticket for each area of the ground for the ticket office and on-line system to manage - ie one with travel vouchers attached and one without, for B&H residents only? I've no idea of the number of B&H residents attend but lets just say it's 60% of an average 6,000 gate, ie 3,600 people currently get to Withdean but foot, public transport or sensual Kiss & Ride from within B&H?
2) £3 off for everyone with a B&H postcode.
3) Therefore probably £4.50 more on the ticket price for each non-Brighton resident to pay for the transport element shortfall (or where will this come from?) - so my usual two adult tickets will now cost £60 online?
4) Possibly extra stewarding and consequent delay at point of entry to the P&R's to ensure that only travel voucher holders gain entry?
5) No additional service buses from and to central Brighton after the game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here