Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I do not beleive this about Andrew (Filthy) Hawes............

D

Deleted User X18H

NMH said:
What is wrong for Albion fans living too far to attend games - or working during matches, no seat for sold-out games or having other committments listening in to the matches - should we be ashamed that we listen in instead of going to every game like you hoveborn ? We have had to laugh when biased commentary came in from opposition's sites, myopic and way over-the-top against our deserved achievements. Why not have a fair reporter with less bias doing our commentary?

That you were born and bred in Hove (same as me, 'actually') makes you qualified to say who should commentate our games?
Harty from Worthing......hmm....too far away to qualify him eh?
Maybe you will proudly puff your chest in the papers one day as the old git who never left the city limits in his life, fiercely proclaiming your cleanliness - uncontaminated by foreign matter (i.e. a souvinir from sunny Steyning, the heady climes of Rye or the farthest reaches of Horsham).

What we need is a person from Neville Rd, who walked to The Goldstone, regardless of dull delivery ("he's got the ball, wait......he's running down the wing......oh he lost it. ....silence..... now it's rolling off and I think someone is going to throw it in. The ballboy is taking his time.....well, there are several people here at the ground....and there's the manager and he's talking to someone, I think it's the trainer.......ooh, good throw-in. Yes, it's quite nice and sunny here, the players look nice in the sunshine.....etc blither blah etc).

Oh well, it's something to talk about, eh? Quality thread, and it's interesting that you haven't actually heard very much of the people you critique. You'd make a scintillating journalist.
Sadly NMH I have toleave these fair twin cities and procced forth tothe City of London so as to be able to live in my home town overun with cockney scum. Good reply though.

SeagullSimon

Jul 5, 2003
Kent Uni; Bexhill
djmay12.jpg

A football reporter who has commentated throughout Brighton and Hove Albion's push for promotion has pulled the plug on himself for their match of the season so far.

Instead, BBC Southern Counties Radio presenter Andrew Hawes will be cheering on his favourite team, Swindon Town, who Albion meet in next week's crunch play-off games.

Despite following the Seagulls for professional purposes, he fears he would not be able to contain his joy - or despair - and could end up causing offence on air to his Sussex listeners.

The teams meet in the play-off first leg at Swindon's County Ground on Sunday with the return match at Withdean the following Thursday.

The games will decide who goes through to the play-off final in Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on May 30, when the prize will be a place in Nationwide Division One.

Andrew got away with reporting on Albion's two league games against Swindon earlier this season but feared Albion fans would complain about his allegiance.

He said: "I have not been told of any complaints but I know there were people ready to point out any bias. For such important games as the play-off legs I might be biased - especially if there is a goal needed with ten minutes to go."

Andrew, 30, grew up in Swindon and began supporting the Robins when he was seven.

He said: "I was hoping Albion would get either Bristol City or Hartlepool in the play-offs.

"I would have had no difficulty commentating on those but Swindon are a different matter. I wish the Albion well but Swindon are in my blood."

And he warned Albion fans already preparing for a day out in Wales: "Robins are tough birds and can surprise when they come up against seagulls.

"Our surprise is Sam Parkin, who has already scored against the Albion this season - and I am sure he will do it again."

Tim Durrans, the station's sports editor, said: "Andrew is a very professional commentator and rarely makes a mistake.

"He reads the game well and does not get over-excited.

"This was entirely his decision as he felt he might not be objective and I readily agreed to his request."

Jonny Saunders will provide the commentary on the matches instead.

D

Deleted User X18H

SeagullSimon said:
djmay12.jpg

A football reporter who has commentated throughout Brighton and Hove Albion's push for promotion has pulled the plug on himself for their match of the season so far.

Instead, BBC Southern Counties Radio presenter Andrew Hawes will be cheering on his favourite team, Swindon Town, who Albion meet in next week's crunch play-off games.

Despite following the Seagulls for professional purposes, he fears he would not be able to contain his joy - or despair - and could end up causing offence on air to his Sussex listeners.

The teams meet in the play-off first leg at Swindon's County Ground on Sunday with the return match at Withdean the following Thursday.

The games will decide who goes through to the play-off final in Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on May 30, when the prize will be a place in Nationwide Division One.

Andrew got away with reporting on Albion's two league games against Swindon earlier this season but feared Albion fans would complain about his allegiance.

He said: "I have not been told of any complaints but I know there were people ready to point out any bias. For such important games as the play-off legs I might be biased - especially if there is a goal needed with ten minutes to go."

Andrew, 30, grew up in Swindon and began supporting the Robins when he was seven.

He said: "I was hoping Albion would get either Bristol City or Hartlepool in the play-offs.

"I would have had no difficulty commentating on those but Swindon are a different matter. I wish the Albion well but Swindon are in my blood."

And he warned Albion fans already preparing for a day out in Wales: "Robins are tough birds and can surprise when they come up against seagulls.

"Our surprise is Sam Parkin, who has already scored against the Albion this season - and I am sure he will do it again."

Tim Durrans, the station's sports editor, said: "Andrew is a very professional commentator and rarely makes a mistake.

"He reads the game well and does not get over-excited.

"This was entirely his decision as he felt he might not be objective and I readily agreed to his request."

Jonny Saunders will provide the commentary on the matches instead.
Gosh where did you find that !!!!!!!!!!!!

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Is it the same Johnny Saunders as on Five Live? He's quite good. I'm hoping I don't have to listen to him though. If only that bloody ticket would come through.........

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Storer68 said:
Chant as Leon nets out third

Are you listening ?
Are you listening ?
Are your listening, Andrew Hawes!!!!!!!!

Hawsey, whats the score? Hawsey, Hawsey whats the score?

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
Storer68 said:
Chant as Leon nets out third

Are you listening ?
Are you listening ?
Are your listening, Andrew Hawes!!!!!!!!

I hope you aren't referring to when Leon scores the third on Sunday? Because if you are then you are defiantly living on planet pluto. We'll be lucky to score one and the sooner everyone wakes up to reality the better.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Terrace Dandy said:
I hope you aren't referring to when Leon scores the third on Sunday? Because if you are then you are defiantly living on planet pluto. We'll be lucky to score one and the sooner everyone wakes up to reality the better.

Bloody hell Terrace! Lighten up. It's a bit of fun. Hardly a statement - We Will Win Ten Nil is it!!?

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
hove born&bred said:
I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan I will be at the county ground Swindon on Sunday not at the other end of a radio and besisdes he is being replaced for both Swindon Games

er, you're in the list of users online as brighton swindon are about to kick off

:wave:

D

Deleted User X18H

alan partridge said:
er, you're in the list of users online as brighton swindon are about to kick off

:wave:

I think not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here