Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I do not beleive this about Andrew (Filthy) Hawes............

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Brovian said:
I disagree. I WANT a one-eyed, outrageously biased-against-the-opposition, Albion-tinted view of games. Do you remember those TV adverts "As fair as it ought to be", that's what local radio should be. The commentary against Swindon should be along the lines of "And here are the brave blue and white superstars bravely battling against the Wiltshire scum, surely if there is any justice the representatives of our glorious city by the sea will crush the tractor driving yokels so far into the ground they won't surface until they're pulled up with the next crop of carrots...." I want every Albion goal to be brilliant and every oppo goal to be a fluke against the run of play. I want to be told the referee is either an astute visionary correctly interpreting the rules or a blind waste of skin who shouldn't be in charge of a pub match. I want to hear how the best fans in the land have out-sung the feeble opposition. I want to be told how our brilliant football triumphed over the cynical clumping long-ball merchants. In short I want Ian Hart - remember whne we got promoted from the third?

Well that's what you're gonna get for the play-off semis. The guest commentator is one of my best mates - massive Albion fan!!

D

Deleted User X18H

CrabtreeBHA said:
so by that your saying the general public perceive us on what team out commentator supports?...only one thing for you mate:

loser.jpg

But a Brighton (and Hove ) Loser !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
gazwag said:
What next, Mark Mcghee shouldn't be manager cos he dosen't support brighton.
Ideally, er, yes. Ideally all the Albion players, manager and back-room staff should be born and bred Albion fans. So should the people who locally write and broadcast about us. I know I'm sounding like Easy 10 moaning about 'foreigners' playing for England or the 'Sons of St George' brigade who moaned when Sven got the England job, but that would be my ideal. Ok I know it's totally impractical and we will (probably) always have to have mercanaries representing the Seagull Nation - but surely we can find local Albion fans to do a bit of broadcasting and writing for the Argus?

I don't care how professional Hawes is - he's Swindon and that's the end of it.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hawesey is an excellent commentator. Those I have spoken to who know him reckon he will go off to Five Live soon, which will be our loss.

hove born&bred said:
But a Brighton (and Hove ) Loser !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was born at the Zachary Merton Hospital in Rustington, and now live near East Grinstead. Does that mean I should support Pompey as much of that part of Sussex apparently does? Or should I support Palarse as I live less than 25 miles from Smellhurst, but 26 miles from Withdean? I was born in Sussex, was partly bred in Sussex, and have lived in Sussex for all except 7 of my 34 years. Brighton and Hove Albion is Sussex's only Football League club. Which club should I support? Er

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Considering how long he has been comentating on our games, the mere fact that his Swindon supporting admission seems to be a surprise to some speaks volumes for his professionalism.

I'd wager that not many casual listeners to the match commentary would have had the faintest clue that he was not "one of us".

As someone else has already said, he clearly has a deep love for the Albion now. I don't know why he thinks he can't do the play-off games, as he's commentated on several games between the clubs in the past, but I respect his decision.

He's a top commentator, and we're lucky to have him on our local radio station.

OO er, I seem to have inadvertently given the impression that I sometimes listen to the games on the radio rather than going along personally. I might get away with it, though, as I was born in that same now defunct hospital as the loony who started this thread.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he's voluntarily stepped aside then I commend him on his professionalism. Albion fans are very lucky to have him at the end of the mike.

D

Deleted User X18H

sully said:
Considering how long he has been comentating on our games, the mere fact that his Swindon supporting admission seems to be a surprise to some speaks volumes for his professionalism.

I'd wager that not many casual listeners to the match commentary would have had the faintest clue that he was not "one of us".

As someone else has already said, he clearly has a deep love for the Albion now. I don't know why he thinks he can't do the play-off games, as he's commentated on several games between the clubs in the past, but I respect his decision.

He's a top commentator, and we're lucky to have him on our local radio station.

OO er, I seem to have inadvertently given the impression that I sometimes listen to the games on the radio rather than going along personally. I might get away with it, though, as I was born in that same now defunct hospital as the loony who started this thread.
LOONEY !!!!!!!!! Perhaps but its made my day of boring reinsurance claims slightly more bearable . Thankyou and goodnight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pavilionaire said:
If he's voluntarily stepped aside then I commend him on his professionalism. Albion fans are very lucky to have him at the end of the mike.
I think its less to do with his "professionalism", and more to do with Hawsey fully intending to mutate into a rampant cider-swilling hoolie for the two games, so he can jump around like a lunatic with his fellow Swindon fans.

Can you imagine how gutted YOU'D feel as a Swindon fan, commentating on and acclaiming Leons devastating 2nd half hattrick in the first leg, which all but kills off the tie before a ball is kicked at Withdean ? He'd be an emotional wreck.

Fair play Hawsey - enjoy the Playoffs with your mates, and you can come back and commentate on us in the Final.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
He's got a face for radio hasn't he?

:lolol:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Brovian said:
Ideally, er, yes. Ideally all the Albion players, manager and back-room staff should be born and bred Albion fans. So should the people who locally write and broadcast about us. I know I'm sounding like Easy 10 moaning about 'foreigners' playing for England or the 'Sons of St George' brigade who moaned when Sven got the England job, but that would be my ideal. Ok I know it's totally impractical and we will (probably) always have to have mercanaries representing the Seagull Nation - but surely we can find local Albion fans to do a bit of broadcasting and writing for the Argus?

I don't care how professional Hawes is - he's Swindon and that's the end of it.

I think you'd have the Equal Opportunities Comission on your case if you think that.

The decision on whoever writes or commentates on the Albion rests with the editor concerned, & they will pick the person with the best aptitude for the job.

I mean lets face it, Bobby Zamora should never have been signed because he's from Essex & supports West Ham. Micky Adams should never have been manager because he's from Yorkshire & supports Sheff Utd.

This thread is a wind-up isn't it ? Please tell me it is.

D

Deleted User X18H

34064 Fighter Command said:
I think you'd have the Equal Opportunities Comission on your case if you think that.

The decision on whoever writes or commentates on the Albion rests with the editor concerned, & they will pick the person with the best aptitude for the job.

I mean lets face it, Bobby Zamora should never have been signed because he's from Essex & supports West Ham. Micky Adams should never have been manager because he's from Yorkshire & supports Sheff Utd.

This thread is a wind-up isn't it ? Please tell me it is.

Neither Bobby Zamora or Micky Adams ever publically stated in the local press that they supoported another team though.

Does nobody get this point .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
hove born&bred said:
Neither Bobby Zamora or Micky Adams ever publically stated in the local press that they supoported another team though.

Does nobody get this point .
Uuuh, no. I think its just you mate.
Zamora is a self-confessed Hammer - you only had to read the matchday programme to know that. As for Micky - I think he's a Blade, but I'm not sure on that. It makes stuff-all difference anyway, they will both rightly go down in Albion folklore for the Legends they are. Hell, they could support Palace and I'd think the same.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

I'm bored with this now...................... when are the fixtures out.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
hove born&bred said:
I'm bored with this now...................... when are the fixtures out.

You upped your post count considerably though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here