Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I CANNOT Believe I am Saying This

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
This thread should really worry the club. But it probably won't. Football and the culture that surrounds it has changed so much in the 15 years Brighton have been in decline, 11 without a ground, that it's hard to see how it could possibly return to former glories. I'd go more regularly if we were allowed to, let alone tried to, start an atmosphere. Unfortunately, if you look over your shoulder whilst starting a song, even when seated, some steward will charge you with Section 42.6; crowd (nee scum) control - 'intent to endanger public life whilst having one

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Your profile says your 16, so all you've known is modern football. What do you think is wrong with football, and which time in the past do you think football was right/healthy? If you're anti-modern football, why did you get into it? And what happened to make you change your mind?

As said, when I was younger I couldnt see any of the problems. I took football for what it was purely on the face of it; now I'm a little older I can see past the smokescreen created by Sky: I can see there's too much money in football, I can see the gulf between the Premier League and other league's is far too big and fast becoming ridiculous, I can see the soul of football is slowly being ripped out of the game.

I still enjoy football and I'll still go and watch Brighton and have a laugh on a day out with my mates, 'cause that's what it is about for me. You wont find my watching any games on Sky, though.

It's not really for me to say, as obviously I wasnt there, but the stories and re-collections I've heard of football in the seventies and early eighties sound a lot more appealing than the sanitised football we have now.

Last edited:

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
As said, when I was younger I couldnt see any of the problems. I took football for what it was purely on the face of it; now I'm a little older I can see past the smokescreen created by Sky: I can see there's too much money in football, I can see the gulf between the Premier League and other league's is far too big and fast becoming ridiculous, I can see the soul of football is slowly being ripped out of the game.

I still enjoy football and I'll still go and watch Brighton and enjoy the days out with my mates, 'cause that's what it is about for me. You wont find my watching any games on Sky, though.

It's not really for me to say, as obviously I wasnt there, but the stories and re-collections I've heard of football in the seventies and early eighties sound a lot more appealing than the sanitised football we have now.

Totally agree, being the same age as you n'all, I just wished I couldve experienced times at the Gouldstone, instead of at shitty Withdean!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
You've got to love Uncle Spielberg haven't you?

22/11/08

"I implore you all to get behind our superb manager Micky Adams. I am incredulous, incredulous at the stick, our manager Micky Adams has been getting....I predict in the 2nd half of this season we will be one of the top three teams in this league and will end up with a very strong challenge for the play offs. I think we will end up 5th or 6th..... The last laugh will be on Micky Adams as he leads us to a play off place and Wembley final"

TEN days later......

"I only renewed this season becuase of the Adams factor but will not do so next season as it stands..... I fear st renewals next year after the disasterous season under Adams this year..... The board should be sent a link to this thread"

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
There is a LOT of over reacting going on here. I've watched the albion for 14 years which is a FRACTION of some of you people, yet I can remember numerous teams and situations a lot worse than this.

I dont know if I am over reacting, I said I find it weird in a previous post because I have watched worse players play worse football for us.

I didnt miss any games at Gillingham, I barely missed a game during the McGhee era home or away, yet for some reason I just find myself not bothered about missing Oldham.

When we went to Stockport I was still loving it, the stupidity of going on a Tuesday night 300 miles away was a buzz, but then playing pretty poorly and hearing the team saying they played well, the manager saying we out passed them, just confirmed that they are not admitting they are shit and looking for excuses.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You've got to love Uncle Spielberg haven't you?

22/11/08

"I implore you all to get behind our superb manager Micky Adams. I am incredulous, incredulous at the stick, our manager Micky Adams has been getting....I predict in the 2nd half of this season we will be one of the top three teams in this league and will end up with a very strong challenge for the play offs. I think we will end up 5th or 6th..... The last laugh will be on Micky Adams as he leads us to a play off place and Wembley final"

TEN days later......

"I only renewed this season becuase of the Adams factor but will not do so next season as it stands..... I fear st renewals next year after the disasterous season under Adams this year..... The board should be sent a link to this thread"

Being sycophrenic is my preogative.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The biggest fan behind Turkey.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It is £24 to watch Brighton vs MK Dons
It is £25 to go to New Forest Lap Land

Both offer loads on paper, both are outdoors in horrendous weather, both are about building dreams to all who go, both will disappoint on arrival.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I will be there at the Withdean or Falmer whatever, we have had worse times than what we are having now. Maybe the guy who started this thread is not really a true Albion fan.
Brighton & Hove Albion is my club and I will follow them in the County League if that is where we end up.
Unloyal fans we don't need them, go and get your ticket for the Emirates Stadium tosser and come back when we are at FALMER. Plenty of others will do just that!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Did you go to Gillingham ?. Time to move on.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I think the reason everyone is so disillusioned is because this is probably our most dismal season (so far) since we've been at Withdean.

That may sound silly, but this is the way I look at it:

We started at Withdean in the bottom tier of the football league but we never looked like getting relegated to the Conference in Adams' first season, even if there were some pretty ordinary performances. We won the league the following season and since then we've had some decent seasons, mainly spent yo-yoing between the 2nd and 3rd tiers of the football league. However, this is the first season since being at Withdean that we have looked very seriously like getting relegated from the 3rd tier to the 4th tier.

By my calculations that makes this our most depressing season since we moved to Withdean. We were poor for spells unders McGhee but that was in The Championship which made it less depressing.

When we are at The Goldstone paying between £5-£8 to get in, poor results/performances weren't quite so depressing but when you're shelling out £25+ for this horseshit it makes you seriously disillusioned.

Withdean + worst season since the "Withdean experience" started = mass disillusionment

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I will be there at the Withdean or Falmer whatever, we have had worse times than what we are having now. Maybe the guy who started this thread is not really a true Albion fan.
Brighton & Hove Albion is my club and I will follow them in the County League if that is where we end up.
Unloyal fans we don't need them, go and get your ticket for the Emirates Stadium tosser and come back when we are at FALMER. Plenty of others will do just that!

I guess I should bite so I will. I will still go to games. Me not going to games was never in the equation. It is me not actually worried about not going that is freaking me out. Its never happened before.

I will still be there for every home game, after the Oldham game, I am booked on the next 5 away games, and I will go to them all.

So as much as I love the way the Wenger boys play football, I will always be a Brighton fan and go and support the team wherever they play in the country at whatever level

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Conboy and SDL, I feel sorry for you boys I really do. I was intiated into football at the goldstone 1980. And it was a marvellous place and time to go to football. Yes it wasn't all good. But it went too far the other way when those problems were addressed. Consequently, today we have Leagues full of Carlos Kickabouts kissing the badge of Wigan whilst telling the media it was their boyhood dream to arrive on the Wirral from the Democratic Republic of West Corruptica before dashing off down the M62 to see if there are any jobs going at Old Trafford etc because 50k a week isn't enough.

I'd love to see football reborn; new leagues, charters governed by a strong association, sensible pay, ticket prices, terracing but where the number one aim is too preserve a fair degree of competition. Let the top 4 f*** off to join the other greedy bastards from other similar Euro leagues. And don't let 'em back in when the new league attracts more support because it's more interesting. The SPL nearly did this to Rangers and Celtic when, blinkered by new TV riches and their own greediness, these 2 forgot they still needed to play more than 1 other team each week so had to skulk back to the negotiation table and give a greater share to Aberdeen, Dundee when initially they refused to.

But that is all dreamland and will never become a reality. The Premier League largely killed competition and football has never looked back. It's great that kids in Wycombe can follow Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc (sometimes in the same season) every week on tele, buy their shirts and idolise foreign players with forgettable names (because they move so frequently) without even knowing there's a professional club in their home town. Or is it....?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

I do believe you've missed the entire point of this thread old boy???

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think the reason everyone is so disillusioned is because this is probably our most dismal season (so far) since we've been at Withdean.

We started at Withdean in the bottom tier of the football league but we never looked like getting relegated to the Conference in Adams' first season, even if there were some pretty ordinary performances. We won the league the following season and since then we've had some decent seasons, mainly spent yo-yoing between the 2nd and 3rd tiers of the football league. However, this is the first season since being at Withdean that we have looked very seriously like getting relegated from the 3rd tier to the 4th tier.

By my calculations that makes this our most depressing season since we moved to Withdean. We were poor for spells unders McGhee but that was in The Championship which made it less depressing.

When we are at The Goldstone paying between £5-£8 to get in, poor results/performances weren't quite so depressing but when you're shelling out £25+ for this horseshit it makes you seriously disillusioned.

Withdean + worst season since the "Withdean experience" started = mass disillusionment

Nope, we came dangerously close just a couple of seasons ago when Stoke tonked us 5-0 on the last day. Apathy set in a long time before that season finished.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Consequently, today we have Leagues full of Carlos Kickabouts kissing the badge of Wigan whilst telling the media it was their boyhood dream to arrive on the Wirral from the Democratic Republic of West Corruptica before dashing off down the M62 to see if there are any jobs going at Old Trafford etc because 50k a week isn't enough.
Wigan is nowhere near the Wirral.....

nw.gif

Horney

Oct 12, 2008

I know a lot of regulars ( home and away ) who are now ' picking ' their games...this shows how deep rooted the apathy and disenchantment is becoming....is this what DK really wanted ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here