Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I CANNOT Believe I am Saying This

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Football is so far removed from the game I love when I first started watching in the mid 80s. Still love the Albion but the more I see/read/hear about football the more it just hits home at how the game has been ruined by overpriced seats in grounds that all look the same, overhyped average players earning more in a week than I earn in year, live football on television every day, no terraces, no smoking, over priced shitty franchised food and drink, overpriced car parks, trains beer etc etc.

Looking forward to Oldham though...

That sums it up nicely. In my early teens I was deluded into thinking all was well with football. How times have changed :nono:

AGAINST MODERN FOOTBALL

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
That sums it up nicely. In my early teens I was deluded into thinking all was well with football. How times have changed :nono:

AGAINST MODERN FOOTBALL

Am I right in thinking you are still pretty young, meaning you have seen most of your home games from Withdean? Fair play to you for sticking through it. It is terrible. I am trying hard to find motiviation for going for the enjoyment, and would find it even tougher if I only knew Withdean as the a home experience.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Am I right in thinking you are still pretty young, meaning you have seen most of your home games from Withdean? Fair play to you for sticking through it. It is terrible. I am trying hard to find motiviation for going for the enjoyment, and would find it even tougher if I only knew Withdean as the a home experience.

Indeed I have. We tend to make it more about pissing around rather than watching the football now

I suppose the bonus is, it makes away games an even better day out. :clap2:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I suppose the bonus is, it makes away games an even better day out. :clap2:

Thats how I used to see it, apart from now that I see it slightly different, and am not fussed whether I go or not. I would bend over backward to go to all the away games, and I do, but now I just can't be arsed.

Having said that, away games are brilliant, and the next one I go to will hopefully see more of the same*

*a great day out with mates, spoilt by the 90 minutes of football.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
I'll drink to that. :drink:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Money is tight and you need to look at value for money. I got more enjoyment watching Slava' Snow Show for the 3rd time last weekend than virtually any time I have been to the Albion in the last 3 years for sure. The same price £ 26 for World classic theatrical entertainment in a dry warm theatre or £ 26 or to sit in the cold / pouring rain watching shite football with overpaid players ( the credit crunch appears to have by passed footballers which alienates then even more to you average Joe ) who cannot even give a toss most of the time to try.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

AGAINST MODERN FOOTBALL

Your profile says your 16, so all you've known is modern football. What do you think is wrong with football, and which time in the past do you think football was right/healthy? If you're anti-modern football, why did you get into it? And what happened to make you change your mind?

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Its strange for me, this is the first season where if i go a week without football im gutted, i get well pissed off after each poor performance but i f***ing love seeing brighton play, its brilliant!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
which is where the biggest problem lies. They are just assuming that the fans will stick with it because they just have to, whilst looking at the bigger picture!

The Hartlepool FA Cup game must have been a worry to them. No season ticket holders get in for free, everyone had to buy a reduced ticket. 2,400 people took up the offer. Slightly worrying, no? ???

They think the fans will stick with them because at away games the fans always sing and clap them of that the end. Which in my opinion is STUPID, the players should be clapping us, but instead they storm off down the tunnel - PRICKS

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Am I the only one who isn't totally down in the mouth? Maybe it is because I don't get to as many games as others do (living in Newcastle I have managed to get to a lot of northernish away games this year) but even though we have been awful I still find myself caring just the same. I check the score regularly every Saturday afternoon and bemoan or celebrate depending on the outcome.

For the first time in a few years I might be back living in Brighton next season and if that is the case then I will certainly be buying a season ticket. Yes money is tight but I don't have family to support and to be honest I still love the Albion the same as I have ever done and I have no qualms in putting money into the coffers.

Yes it is deeply upsetting that team and the management show little pride and passion but to be honest the majority of footballers have no real loyalty to their clubs beyond what any employee would have to their employer. It is up to the fans to generate the passion and enthusiasm at a club.

One of the first things I love about the Albion is the fans. The ability to be enthusiastic and up beat despite set back after set back. What with Falmer on the horizon now is not the time to lose enthusiasm but the time to try harder and make more of an effort so that when that first game at Falmer comes people can talk about the passion and pride they had even during the dark days.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Although i gave up over a year ago i spent 20 years following the albion and had season tickets at gillingham.Now all i have towards the club is anger and frustration.Falmer has just dragged on so much im bored shitless,begging bowls and the club asking supporters for help i,e petitions neverends.The club always on the breadline is another factor.Just how much are supporters supposed to take???

To be quiet frank i don't see the board applauding fans to much just take take take all the time,pissing with rain paying stupid ticket prices the fans have always been there through thick and thin,its just ashame the fans get sweet fa back:censored:

Makes me f***ing angry thinking about it all:nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Must confess, the priority of matchdays this season has been drinking, rather than the match itself. I don't MIND going to Withdean, but going there sober is not something I desire...

The football has been, but for two and a half matches (crewe, Leicester, Milwall), dull and shit. Which is a shame. Results were better we were even duller to watch last season, and the two combined have generally put me off.

They think the fans will stick with them because at away games the fans always sing and clap them of that the end. Which in my opinion is STUPID, the players should be clapping us, but instead they storm off down the tunnel - PRICKS

I think Brett is referring to the club management here, not the players, and its perceived ambivalence to a steady decline on the pitch, with one or two notable exceptions, since five minutes after the start of the first league game at Withdean this season.
I also struggle with the idea of there being any long term view, objective, plan, strategy, etc for the team when we've signed 13 players since June, the majority on loan, and we're 20th. In my opinion this just does not stack up with the actions, delivery and outcomes that I've seen both at home and away.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Am I the only one who isn't totally down in the mouth? Maybe it is because I don't get to as many games as others do (living in Newcastle I have managed to get to a lot of northernish away games this year) but even though we have been awful I still find myself caring just the same. I check the score regularly every Saturday afternoon and bemoan or celebrate depending on the outcome.

For the first time in a few years I might be back living in Brighton next season and if that is the case then I will certainly be buying a season ticket. Yes money is tight but I don't have family to support and to be honest I still love the Albion the same as I have ever done and I have no qualms in putting money into the coffers.

Yes it is deeply upsetting that team and the management show little pride and passion but to be honest the majority of footballers have no real loyalty to their clubs beyond what any employee would have to their employer. It is up to the fans to generate the passion and enthusiasm at a club.

One of the first things I love about the Albion is the fans. The ability to be enthusiastic and up beat despite set back after set back. What with Falmer on the horizon now is not the time to lose enthusiasm but the time to try harder and make more of an effort so that when that first game at Falmer comes people can talk about the passion and pride they had even during the dark days.

I doubt very much that you are the only one not "down in the mouth"......LOL..!

The main difference with you, is that you don't sit at Withdean every other week. But like you, I still follow the Albion via radio/NSC when they are away, and enjoy that part as much as I,ve always done. In fact, I,m happier when they play away games than home games. Going to Withdean is now more of a chore than enjoyment.

Seriously considering not buying a Season ticket next year, and just going to more of the away games. Used to think badly of people who refused to go to Withdean etc etc and only went to away games, as it doesn,t put money into the club. How times and views change..LOL..!

However, I really do believe the constant delays, resulting in paying a lot of money to basically watch park football with park facilities is taking it's toll.

I believe the board just view it as " Withdean fatigue", but they have, IMHO, done too little......far too late.

The ONLY reason that the "withdean factor" has not been so prevalent before, is that apart from the last two seasons, we have been involved in promotion or relegation. Without these two things.............the Albion would have "died" a while ago. Mediocrity, will not sustain Withdean.

Last edited:

doncasterseagull

Kasabian!!!
May 23, 2008
Doncaster

the players always clap the fans. but micky doesnt that is what really annoys me! dean wilkins used to praise the fans all the time now we are told to stik with it......for what at the moment? for micky to walk off because he realises he brings on subs in the 85th min and they dont do anything?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A long long time ago and I can still remember how that football used to make me smile.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
I believe that the Wilkins / Adams fiasco was the final straw for a lot of fans....loyal as we are, the only way to be won over was for a successful league season...we gave it a chance...embittered as some of us were, we still kept coming....but it was apparent things weren't right from the 4th game of the season.
What I see is body language from our manager indicating that deep down he knows he has made a mistake coming back...his backroom staff are not up to the job and this cavalier decision by the chairman to bring back someone whose management career was effectively over has now backfired bigtime.
Throw in a combination of all the reasons previously mentioned and there's your answer. The board have always relied on a hardcore of 5000 at Withdean plus 1500 floaters plus 1500 more for the really big games. With so much apathy and disenchantment around this will now steadily erode to about 4000 next season.
Only a sustained period of success will bring this back again...and as experience at other clubs has proved, you do well to double your hardcore at a new stadium. Falmer, after the early surge of interest could settle down to a base support of about 8000.

There is a LOT of over reacting going on here. I've watched the albion for 14 years which is a FRACTION of some of you people, yet I can remember numerous teams and situations a lot worse than this.

But it's not over reaction; it's mostly fans, some of whom have been watching the Albion for decades, outlining their current concerns and explanations as to why they don't/wont go to the games currently. There's very little comparative stuff on the thread and next to none of that corrosive Adams vs Wilkins prejudice, opinion etc that's been so devisive this season (imo anyway).

Just to lighten things up a bit, perhaps you'd feel differently if your dad wasn't paying for your football???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here