Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s coaching team

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Nope, any of the mercenaries who jumped ship with Potter can all just stay away... he may be capable of doing a job, but that cohort of money grabbers would simply add too much division amongst the fans, and maybe even the general staff at the club.
This big time! And about time we took down the big Bruno picture from the outside back wall of the West Stand.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It’s pretty obvious really. Why waste time negotiating separately? That wouldn’t suit either team. I can’t think of a single example where that has happened before.

I can think of three reason why.

Firstly, FCSP don't want to have their entire coaching staff gutted, so refuse to negotiate a bulk exodus. We then decide with Hurzeler which members he wants most critically and negotiate individually.

Secondly, he hasn't yet been officially granted a work permit, so why waste time negotiating with them until we know it's truly worth while.

Finally, until they replaced Hurzeler, they don't know what sort of staff their new coach will want to bring with him. They may find that some of Hurzeler's coaching staff are redundant. If that happens we can save ourselves the compensation costs.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nope, any of the mercenaries who jumped ship with Potter can all just stay away... he may be capable of doing a job, but that cohort of money grabbers would simply add too much division amongst the fans, and maybe even the general staff at the club.
So when we sign someone (let's say a manager from St Pauli) from another club, that's OK.

But if someone dares leaves us for another job? Mercenaries.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I like the idea of having two set piece coaches as it seems St.Pauli have, one defensive, one attacking. I would guess each is pushing the other as they try to each do their opposite work. It appears to have worked well for them.
As for the return of Bruno, he doesn't really have a great deal of experience of coaching. The most useful thing Bruno can do for us is serve as a warning, if the club finds work for you, and tries to help you into a post playing career, that to then leave us in a time of need, is to probably leave forever.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
As for the return of Bruno, he doesn't really have a great deal of experience of coaching. The most useful thing Bruno can do for us is serve as a warning, if the club finds work for you, and tries to help you into a post playing career, that to then leave us in a time of need, is to probably leave forever.
Amen to that...

Zeckenpack

Jun 13, 2024
There is no official confirmation from the club, but one media outlet is assuming, that Hürzeler is keen to bring in Knoop our GK coach. But since Stern is staying, and unless you'd like to have 2 GK coaches, I believe there is no requirement to really bring him in.

He is one of the best GK coaches I have seen at St.Pauli, certainly one of the more impact having ones.

For Nemeth, our assistant Coach, I do not believe that Hürzeler is trying to bring him along, although Hürzeler was part of bringing him to our club. But again, our Club had limits and it is being said that Hürzeler is well connected. Could also be, that he is having an eye on Loïc Fave, who is now assistant Coach for HSV. But it was said it's a Bundesliga Assistant Coach.

I can only hope, Nemeth and Knoop will stay. Because then we'd have two important people left of a winning construct, to then rather integrate a new head coach, rather than building everything from scratch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There is no official confirmation from the club, but one media outlet is assuming, that Hürzeler is keen to bring in Knoop our GK coach. But since Stern is staying, and unless you'd like to have 2 GK coaches, I believe there is no requirement to really bring him in.

He is one of the best GK coaches I have seen at St.Pauli, certainly one of the more impact having ones.

For Nemeth, our assistant Coach, I do not believe that Hürzeler is trying to bring him along, although Hürzeler was part of bringing him to our club. But again, our Club had limits and it is being said that Hürzeler is well connected. Could also be, that he is having an eye on Loïc Fave, who is now assistant Coach for HSV. But it was said it's a Bundesliga Assistant Coach.

I can only hope, Nemeth and Knoop will stay. Because then we'd have two important people left of a winning construct, to then rather integrate a new head coach, rather than building everything from scratch.
I think it might depend on who you get in. As much as Brighton fans, me included, were unhappy with Potter taking every one of his coaches and a recruiter to Chelsea, it did mean De Zerbi could come in with his full entourage of assistants (and I'm not even sure what they all did, but there was a lot of them). If your new guy wants to bring in a team then it makes sense that we'd bring in one or two of FH's, even though this is something that Brighton fans aren't happy with the other way, if you see what I mean.

Stern is highly rated so I hope you keep Knoop as it will suit us both.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
We've had two GK coaches for the past few years though; Roberts and Stern, then Segarra and Stern. So, it wouldn't be unusual to bring someone in alongside Stern.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've had two GK coaches for the past few years though; Roberts and Stern, then Segarra and Stern. So, it wouldn't be unusual to bring someone in alongside Stern.
True, but the way the Tweet I saw was worded was something like 'FH will work with Stern and Crofts', which would suggest to me Stern would lead it, rather than working for or with Knoop.

I guess we'll see!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Who at present is looking likely to take over and is it anywhere near being completed?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Stern has essentially been assistant goalkeeping coach the last two season, or joint GK coach, so having another here is likely I’d say.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So when we sign someone (let's say a manager from St Pauli) from another club, that's OK.

But if someone dares leaves us for another job? Mercenaries.
Indeed. There is a huge amount of one-eyed assessment going on. I seem to recall a recent argument of mine with your correspondent, over what I considered to be his one-eyed perspective, that ended with a bit of a flounce. Oh well. Never mind.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here