Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s coaching team

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it might depend on who you get in. As much as Brighton fans, me included, were unhappy with Potter taking every one of his coaches and a recruiter to Chelsea, it did mean De Zerbi could come in with his full entourage of assistants (and I'm not even sure what they all did, but there was a lot of them). If your new guy wants to bring in a team then it makes sense that we'd bring in one or two of FH's, even though this is something that Brighton fans aren't happy with the other way, if you see what I mean.

The difference was that our season had started

Zeckenpack

Jun 13, 2024
Who at present is looking likely to take over and is it anywhere near being completed?
Only management knows. Our club is known to be very intransparent. We also never reveal the length of player contracts when we sign them or renew any. It's frustrating for a fan, but good for our club. We only heard rumours but those are just the ones, that every sports journalist can guess. More often, none of them are actually true. It's usually until something was signed from both ends, that journalists get a hold of it and share it a day before official announcements.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I loved Uwe. He didn't play much but was obviously very popular at the club and really seemed to 'get it'.
Not in the 'sign any staff member even slightly associated with the club' camp, but would love to see Uwe on the touchline.
One thing I'm certain of is both Fab and the club will realise how important these appointments are, we were never taking the St Pauli staff en masse.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I dont know anything about coaching or our incoming manager but it would seem sensible to bring in an older more experienced assistant who has been there and done it. Also since we are appointing another tactically maverick perhaps an old school coach like Felix Magath?
If TB ever gave consideration to employing Magath I would question his sanity. Magath was certainly a maverick but not in a positive way. Any success he achieved usually came at a cost and left a trail of chaos after the inevitable sacking. Having most players hate you isn't great for team unity. He's the last person FH needs as an advisor. As he's now (supposedly) retired from coaching plus in the eyes of many, certifiable bonkers, he won't be coming anywhere near Hürzeler's team.

There is actually a loose connection already between the Albion and Magath. He once famously played a young Dan Burn at right back when at Fulham. A position he'd never played before. The result was a traumatic experience for Burn where he was slaughtered, his winger opponent Oussama Assaidi stating in a post match interview, "he felt sorry for him". It was also thanks to Magath that Dr Steven Lewis became the BHA club doctor for several years. Dr Lewis was at the centre of the cheese on the knee incident with Brede Hangeland whilst club doctor at Fulham. He wasn't impressed with Magath interfering in medical matters with quack theories against his own diagnosis, thus soon afterwards he was on his way to Brighton. Given the horrific injury list from last season, Dr Lewis appears very much missed.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If TB ever gave consideration to employing Magath I would question his sanity. Magath was certainly a maverick but not in a positive way. Any success he achieved usually came at a cost and left a trail of chaos after the inevitable sacking. Having most players hate you isn't great for team unity. He's the last person FH needs as an advisor. As he's now (supposedly) retired from coaching plus in the eyes of many, certifiable bonkers, he won't be coming anywhere near Hürzeler's team.

There is actually a loose connection already between the Albion and Magath. He once famously played a young Dan Burn at right back when at Fulham. A position he'd never played before. The result was a traumatic experience for Burn where he was slaughtered, his winger opponent Oussama Assaidi stating in a post match interview, "he felt sorry for him". It was also thanks to Magath that Dr Steven Lewis became the BHA club doctor for several years. Dr Lewis was at the centre of the cheese on the knee incident with Brede Hangeland whilst club doctor at Fulham. He wasn't impressed with Magath interfering in medical matters with quack theories against his own diagnosis, thus soon afterwards he was on his way to Brighton. Given the horrific injury list from last season, Dr Lewis appears very much missed.
Another connection is that Magath and Mark McGhee were teammates at SV Hamburg and have kept in touch as their coaching careers developed. In fact, MMcG was rumoured to be joining Magath at Fulham but it didn't happen.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We've had two GK coaches for the past few years though; Roberts and Stern, then Segarra and Stern. So, it wouldn't be unusual to bring someone in alongside Stern.
Segarra could be available, Marseille have two in post, he hadnt worked with De Zerbi before here, so if the keepers here liked working with him he might suit.

Zeckenpack

Jun 13, 2024
Interesting.

The Knoop fella (alongside having a funny name) seems a bit of a maverick. Intrigued to see how that works alongside Stern, who the club have said is staying.
Knoop is a really good coach as I mentioned before. Surprisingly, he is super small but can coach goalies to be super dominant in the box. His training style is very dynamic and he is good at improving the footie skills of the goalkeepers.

I'd be super sad, if he leaves. But it's a great chance, after he was already with Fenerbahce for a year around 2020-21.

It was always noticeable that the three coaches have a solid bond. And media now states Hürzeler wanted to bring all three, but Nemeth turned down the offer to stay at St.Pauli <3

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
From 18/06: https://stpauli24.mopo.de/2024/06/1...huerzeler-diesen-coach-mit-nach-brighton.html

"According to the newspaper, it looks as if Hürzeler would like to take two other assistants from Germany with him to England. On the one hand, they are a coach with a past at Ajax Amsterdam – and on the other hand, the former assistant coach at FC Augsburg, Jonas Scheuermann, with whom Hürzeler had already spied on the island at the beginning of the year ."

A quick look at German coaches who've worked for Ajax comes up with Matthias Kaltenberg who worked for Nagelsman at Hoffenheim:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
From 18/06: https://stpauli24.mopo.de/2024/06/1...huerzeler-diesen-coach-mit-nach-brighton.html

"According to the newspaper, it looks as if Hürzeler would like to take two other assistants from Germany with him to England. On the one hand, they are a coach with a past at Ajax Amsterdam – and on the other hand, the former assistant coach at FC Augsburg, Jonas Scheuermann, with whom Hürzeler had already spied on the island at the beginning of the year ."

A quick look at German coaches who've worked for Ajax comes up with Matthias Kaltenberg who worked for Nagelsman at Hoffenheim:

Reported last week on the Hürzeler thread.

Don’t think there’s been any updates since (apart from St Pauli swiping Blessin from USG which could or could not be a cog in a much larger wheel)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here