Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would you react to us staying up but with our lowest ever PL points total?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Its possible to measure progress in a lot of different ways though. Maybe going from one of the oldest squads in the league to one of the youngest squads in the league compensates for the lack of progress in the league table. Who knows. Up to Tony to decide.

It's not up to Tony to decide. That's not how the club is run. It is run by a board of directors. As my post literally states, the club has previously defined progress as "one point more or one position higher than the previous season". That literally came from the mouth of the Deputy Chairman who caveated that it was the view of the club. Perhaps my use of the quotation marks around "progress" and then defining what "progress" means for the club was a little too subtle for you, or maybe you didn't bother reading the rest of the post.

If you had then what on earth have you read or heard or seen that makes you think that the club have completely changed their mind to now measure success by the age of the squad because Potter is in charge?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yes happy, playing better football under Potter and staying up was surely his minimum requirement. A very good base to build on for next season. The points total is irrelevant as this is partly dictated by what else is happening in the league.

I'm sure Bloom will judge it this way, the football has progressed and we all know the bit that is missing, and one day this will come, but that is up to Bloom. He has spunked £400m already, I suspect the plan to go big on a striker has been delayed by at least a season due to Covid. It will come eventually.

This.

I would imagine Bloom would also factor into his thinking the fact that we have spent very little on transfers, whilst seeing the overall value of our squad increase. To me, that represents progression for the squad-related finances, thanks to the recruitment AND coaching/management team. The increase in value of Lamptey, White, Biss, Webster and March to name but 5 more than offsets the predicted loss on the likes of AliJ & Locadia.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If we stay up I don't care if we do it with 5 or 50 points.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I will be happy that we have stayed up.

I think we can all see that this has been a weird season. There have been some really unusual results especially early on and it is really hard to judge what might have happened in normal circumstances.

I think if we stay up or we don't GP will still be manager next season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's not up to Tony to decide. That's not how the club is run. It is run by a board of directors. As my post literally states, the club has previously defined progress as "one point more or one position higher than the previous season". That literally came from the mouth of the Deputy Chairman who caveated that it was the view of the club. Perhaps my use of the quotation marks around "progress" and then defining what "progress" means for the club was a little too subtle for you, or maybe you didn't bother reading the rest of the post.

If you had then what on earth have you read or heard or seen that makes you think that the club have completely changed their mind to now measure success by the age of the squad because Potter is in charge?

It would surprise me if the board of directors would go against TB.

Yes the club (Paul Barber FC) may previously have defined progress in that way but as you may or may not be aware some recent events might have changed a few things possibly (and possibly not) including that expectations and the definition you mentioned.

The age of the squad is highly relevant since a young squad performing in a similar manner to CH's older squad means that both value and potential has increased, whether the club thinks that matters or not remains to be seen.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It would surprise me if the board of directors would go against TB.

Yes the club (Paul Barber FC) may previously have defined progress in that way but as you may or may not be aware some recent events might have changed a few things possibly (and possibly not) including that expectations and the definition you mentioned.

The age of the squad is highly relevant since a young squad performing in a similar manner to CH's older squad means that both value and potential has increased, whether the club thinks that matters or not remains to be seen.

Indeed. I think the difference in value and potential is pretty clear

Ryan >> Sanchez
Duffy >> White
Montoya >> Lamptey
Stephens >> Bissouma
Mooy >> Ali Mac
Murray >> Maupay

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'll be delighted if we stay up, regardless of points, if it is the lowest ever it will hardly be a surprise. The teams at the bottom this year do seem to be further away from the top teams this season than in any of the previous ones we've been in. The next season is going to be interesting if crowds are back and normality begins to prevail, we will expect our team to improve with fans in the grounds, if our win ratio doesn't improve then the crowd will be extremely restless.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Indeed. I think the difference in value and potential is pretty clear

Ryan >> Sanchez
Duffy >> White
Montoya >> Lamptey
Stephens >> Bissouma
Mooy >> Ali Mac
Murray >> Maupay

That's wonderfully put. Upgrades. Big resale potential. Probably lower wages too.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
This.

I would imagine Bloom would also factor into his thinking the fact that we have spent very little on transfers, whilst seeing the overall value of our squad increase. To me, that represents progression for the squad-related finances, thanks to the recruitment AND coaching/management team. The increase in value of Lamptey, White, Biss, Webster and March to name but 5 more than offsets the predicted loss on the likes of AliJ & Locadia.
We didn't spend much on fees but I'd guess we're now spending way more on wages. Lallana, Welback, Veltman all in on decent wages, I'd guess. Big new deals for White, Dunk and Lamptey too.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Very happy to stay up, happy with the style of play, relieved we did it with a low points tally, disappointed with wasted opportunities and lack of home wins.
Concerned about next season

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I would laugh at all the corporate guff that has come out about last season's RECORD POINTS TALLY (2 more than our first season in the Prem) and await with interest what Barber will come up with to justify how bloody wonderful everything is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Frankly I’d be ****ing ecstatic. We’d have stayed up again, against the odds having completely transformed our style of football and our young and foreign players with huge potential would have gained incredible experience garnered to stand them in good stead for future years.

In the context of all the crap that has happened across the world in the last year id consign it to the memory banks and happily move on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd probably take that, especially if we beat Palace and get the rest of our points in draws.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Strange question but I guess I'll fashion a hat into a scale model of The Amex take my clothes off paint my nob blue and white and helicopter my way around my village singing "There's only two Kerry Mayos".

Seems only right considering.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If we take everybody’s form after 19 games (the halfway point) and duplicate that for the second half of the season, the points threshold to stay up would be 26 - I’m presuming a record low. Even if you take into account the likelihood of the bottom three scrapping out a few extra points towards the end of the season, it’s hard to envisage the threshold being much more than 30 to survive this year. One way or another, I think that’ll be manageable for Albion.

However, if you do the same formula for Albion, we would end up with 34 points, our lowest PL points tally across the four seasons and 7 points fewer than GP achieved last year.

I'm assuming you've already been ripped to shreds for this model you are using?
If not:

It doesn't work that way ****tard! We are on target to hit 39 points, see [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION]'s tracker and educate yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here