Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would you react to us staying up but with our lowest ever PL points total?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Relieved but not happy that "progress" was not being achieved.

Barber has previously said that any manager will be marked on year on year progress. He clarified that as one more point or one more position higher than the previous season at the time (The club was sitting in 13th, and it looked like Hughton was set to go on to get a club record finish - little did we know).
I think it is the main reason CH got sacked, and if Potter keeps us up by a slim margin that is a clear step back from last season. I would therefore expect a change in the summer. Ultimately, Ashworth is more important to the long-term strategy than Potter and is employed to deal with a potential situation just like this. If Potter manages to string some results together, and manages to at least match the position of last season (15) the club will remain faithful to him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes happy, playing better football under Potter and staying up was surely his minimum requirement. A very good base to build on for next season. The points total is irrelevant as this is partly dictated by what else is happening in the league.

I'm sure Bloom will judge it this way, the football has progressed and we all know the bit that is missing, and one day this will come, but that is up to Bloom. He has spunked £400m already, I suspect the plan to go big on a striker has been delayed by at least a season due to Covid. It will come eventually.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Mightily relieved and then thankful to Graham Potter for achieving the feat whilst playing the most attractive style of football I've seen from the Albion in many years. Onwards and upwards!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe that the numbers on the left hand side of a traditional league table are the important ones (hence 'League') ???

*edit*

And a bit of post above ^ but that's most seasons

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Relieved but not happy that "progress" was not being achieved.

Barber has previously said that any manager will be marked on year on year progress. He clarified that as one more point or one more position higher than the previous season at the time (The club was sitting in 13th, and it looked like Hughton was set to go on to get a club record finish - little did we know).
I think it is the main reason CH got sacked, and if Potter keeps us up by a slim margin that is a clear step back from last season. I would therefore expect a change in the summer. Ultimately, Ashworth is more important to the long-term strategy than Potter and is employed to deal with a potential situation just like this. If Potter manages to string some results together, and manages to at least match the position of last season (15) the club will remain faithful to him.

Its possible to measure progress in a lot of different ways though. Maybe going from one of the oldest squads in the league to one of the youngest squads in the league compensates for the lack of progress in the league table. Who knows. Up to Tony to decide.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes happy, playing better football under Potter and staying up was surely his minimum requirement. A very good base to build on for next season. The points total is irrelevant as this is partly dictated by what else is happening in the league.

I'm sure Bloom will judge it this way, the football has progressed and we all know the bit that is missing, and one day this will come, but that is up to Bloom. He has spunked £400m already, I suspect the plan to go big on a striker has been delayed by at least a season due to Covid. It will come eventually.

[emoji106]

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011

Invested. Tony Bloom has invested in the club. Not 'spunked'.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Due to covid and the finances, if Potter keeps us up I'm sure Tony et al will rejoice and worry about "progress" when things are back to normal.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Tony Bloom sacking GP is a possibility. Some "Badger Boy" sacking GP is not a possibility.

Nobody on this forum, not even you, get a say in what Tony Bloom does. Hughton kept us up but could not take us forward. If Bloom doesn't feel Potter can move us forward, he will take the same decision and it will be as divisive as it was when Hughton left. Chris deserved his passionate defenders a lot more than Potter does.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I would be delighted we've stayed up, mightily relieved for the club and Tony Bloom in particular.

I would then fire Potter for failing to achieve the ambition of progressing the club forward despite the investment in the squad.

It is Tony Bloom's money, so it's Tony Bloom's choice - but if you're asking me!

This ^

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Did you wake up on Thursday morning thinking wow we really passed the ball around midfield well last night or just pissed off we couldn’t beat hapless Fulham?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nobody on this forum, not even you, get a say in what Tony Bloom does. Hughton kept us up but could not take us forward. If Bloom doesn't feel Potter can move us forward, he will take the same decision and it will be as divisive as it was when Hughton left. Chris deserved his passionate defenders a lot more than Potter does.

I know. Hence my comment that your reaction to staying up would be to sack Graham Potter.:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here