Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How thick are students...

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Passion suggests it's heat of the moment, not said once and then repeated the next morning.

Anyways, your argument was lost ages ago, Best of luck rescuing what remains. :kiss:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Passion suggests it's heat of the moment, not said once and then repeated the next morning.

Anyways, your argument was lost ages ago, Best of luck rescuing what remains. :kiss:

It was about 20 minutes when i said actually no. i'm wrong, and since then i've maintained that the way in which i said what i said and the content was partially or entirely wrong. Sort it out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To all those imploring me and other students to go and get a job, please take into account the importance of having well educated people within a society. We cannot all be plumbers, or builders, or low- skilled office workers, or policemen, and neither does everyone want to do a job like that. Personally, I find the courses I do at College very stimulating, and whilst I understand that not everybody shares such academic stimulation (and its a good thing they don't, because clearly you need a variety of jobs in a functional society) I fail to see why I and others like me should be punished for wanting to further my intellect.

My statement around getting a job was about getting one while you study to help fund your course - not to get one instead of Uni.

If we really do need to recover lots of money quickly, why can we not do it in a way which will not harm those at the bottom of the social pile who may have aspirations of moving further up the social ladder? Can we not hit those at the top hardest, penalising bankers for their greed rather than paying them off with huge pensions, or increasing the income tax of the richest 5% in society for whom very little damage will ultimately be caused?

They have - it's the 50% tax band.

I think one of the biggest problems here is that so many people think going to Uni is a right. The schools and Sixth Forms are to blame here as they rarely suggest anything else. There are other options that don't cost either the tax payer or the individual as much - Plumpton College is a good example. These type of colleges were around when I was a teenager but my school nor my sixth form even mentioned them during careers advice sessions. It was all Uni, Uni, Uni, Uni - probably because the advice was given by people who had chosen the safe cosy environment of state education rather than the advice coming from independent outsiders.

Oh dear, what have I done ?? Not only have I attacked students in this thread but now I've insulted teachers :ohmy::facepalm:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
My statement around getting a job was about getting one while you study to help fund your course - not to get one instead of Uni.

They have - it's the 50% tax band.

I think one of the biggest problems here is that so many people think going to Uni is a right. The schools and Sixth Forms are to blame here as they rarely suggest anything else. There are other options that don't cost either the tax payer or the individual as much - Plumpton College is a good example. These type of colleges were around when I was a teenager but my school nor my sixth form even mentioned them during careers advice sessions. It was all Uni, Uni, Uni, Uni - probably because the advice was given by people who had chosen the safe cosy environment of state education rather than the advice coming from independent outsiders.

Oh dear, what have I done ?? Not only have I attacked students in this thread but now I've insulted teachers :ohmy::facepalm:

Oops ok apologies for that, although I think others on this thread have advocated giving up dreams of University at all in favour of getting a job straight off.

With regards to the income tax, fair enough. But what about the issue of the bankers? Could we not save money by cutting the frankly ridiculous salaries of people like Sir (!) Fred Goodwin?

I think your right in that final paragraph though. We do have a Careers Suite at my college, but its rarely advertised and thus rarely used. Similarly, all talk in tutor group sessions is of UCAS deadlines etc, with no mention whatsoever of the alternatives to University.

Last edited:

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
:lolol::lolol: Would you? Thanks.

Then I can stop pointing out what a terrible choice of profession you have for a name calling, malicious old git.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit - slander is when it is spoken, libel is when it is written down or recorded. Like on here for example. I have quite a lot of literature on it I can lend you if you like? It has a pretty high reading age though... hope that doesn't put you off.

Yeah. Go on. Tell me who I've libelled and how exactly. You will know of course that libel does not extend to fair comment, neither can it be brought for generalisations. If you are inferring a specific comment from my generalisation, well quite clearly my post was plagiarised. Deliberately so, for effect.

And you'll also no doubt be aware that in a recent landmark libel case Smith v ADVFN and others that defamation on an Internet bulletin board was adjudged to be more akin to slander.

Anyway, you go ahead and forward me that stuff if you want or alternatively you can stop being an arse. You're clearly out of your depth.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Yeah. Go on. Tell me who I've libelled and how exactly. You will know of course that libel does not extend to fair comment, neither can it be brought for generalisations. If you are inferring a specific comment from my generalisation, well quite clearly my post was plagiarised. Deliberately so, for effect.

And you'll also no doubt be aware that in a recent landmark libel case Smith v ADVFN and others that defamation on an Internet bulletin board was adjudged to be more akin to slander.

Anyway, you go ahead and forward me that stuff if you want or alternatively you can stop being an arse. You're clearly out of your depth.

Biscuit would be out of his depth in a puddle.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:thumbsup: :facepalm:

Hampshire, argue like an adult or don't bother mate, there's a good lad.

I am familiar with Smith v ADVFN, according to 5rb.com "postings on bulletin board discussion groups are much more akin to slander than to libel. There is sense in the point, but the essential difference between libel and slander is that libel is permanent and slander is transitory. Postings on a bulletin board may be akin to speech, but unlike speech they are permanent and accessible, even though they may not be re-read once the ‘thread’ has moved on." So it may be more akin to slander, but err.. it isn't. I accept however that I was wrong to call it libellous, there you go a concession. Give it a try... at the end of the day, the students (and that is what we were talking about before the thread got highjacked by abuse merchants) had every right to protest both legally and morally and I for one am glad they did.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
How does smashing up a office building (Tory HQ but with many other offices in their as well) make their point about tuition fees?

Now got some stupid bint on Sky News actually saying she was on the roof, her parents must be so proud

360 odd comments after this was posted the thread is still alive and growing.

How many responses do you think would have been made if a nice and lively stroll was had by all.

jeesus even the Sun had the riot on page one instead of some scandal about X Factor.

The fact is the merchants of hate on here are an irrelevance. This is an act of anger and frustration at years of being ignored and disenfranchised by politicians of all the parties. It may be a small act but the anger is simmering away. Choose to ignore it at your peril.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

How many responses do you think would have been made if a nice and lively stroll was had by all.

jeesus even the Sun had the riot on page one instead of some scandal about X Factor.

The fact is the merchants of hate on here are an irrelevance. This is an act of anger and frustration at years of being ignored and disenfranchised by politicians of all the parties. It may be a small act but the anger is simmering away. Choose to ignore it at your peril.

This. Unfortunately I can't see students being taken seriously in the near future. The Lib Dems were the only real young peoples party and look how they've gone.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Whaaaattttt ? Haven't you heard that the country has a rather large debt ? How do you suggest we sort that out ? The students have an issue but so do plenty of others, they are entitled to protest but not get violent. Who exactly are 'Merchants of Hate' ? Some people have strong opinions but if that's what you call hate I wonder what you call love.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
:thumbsup: :facepalm:

Hampshire, argue like an adult or don't bother mate, there's a good lad.

Could I not argue like a student instead? Start off with a peaceful march and then have a little riot where they all get to join in? Sounds much more fun - and as you and the fellow revolutionaries keep telling us - it gets you noticed, doesn't it? Won't change anything, no matter how much the pot of discontent simmers. We are not in for a season of riots because that's not how we do things. Granted, there may be a couple, but hardly Paris burning by night are we?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Whaaaattttt ? Haven't you heard that the country has a rather large debt ? How do you suggest we sort that out ? The students have an issue but so do plenty of others, they are entitled to protest but not get violent. Who exactly are 'Merchants of Hate' ? Some people have strong opinions but if that's what you call hate I wonder what you call love.

I think I may be a Merchant of Hate. Then again, as an ex-Military person I probably tick all the boxes that the Red Brigade on here hate!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Could I not argue like a student instead? Start off with a peaceful march and then have a little riot where they all get to join in? Sounds much more fun - and as you and the fellow revolutionaries keep telling us - it gets you noticed, doesn't it? Won't change anything, no matter how much the pot of discontent simmers. We are not in for a season of riots because that's not how we do things. Granted, there may be a couple, but hardly Paris burning by night are we?

Are you serious?

If you, a college teacher, believe that then you do not deserve to be in teaching.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Are you serious?

If you, a college teacher, believe that then you do not deserve to be in teaching.

And what were you doing yesterday? A little walk, got to the exiting bit, you came on here all breathless and big bollocks and when it turned nasty you sucked back.

I believe that the actions yesterday did more damage to education than nasty old Maggie snatching the milk. The students held themselves up to public scrutiny and came across as fools who thought it was going to be a nice little demonstration and got "swept away" on the tide of destruction and vandalism - and intimidation, as you so cleverly put it.

If you, a student, believe that your actions yesterday did not contribute to that then you do not deserve to be in education.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
And what were you doing yesterday? A little walk, got to the exiting bit, you came on here all breathless and big bollocks and when it turned nasty you sucked back.

I believe that the actions yesterday did more damage to education than nasty old Maggie snatching the milk. The students held themselves up to public scrutiny and came across as fools who thought it was going to be a nice little demonstration and got "swept away" on the tide of destruction and vandalism - and intimidation, as you so cleverly put it.

If you, a student, believe that your actions yesterday did not contribute to that then you do not deserve to be in education.

So basically your calling me a liar about my envolvement in what started as a peaceful protest outside Millbank that then turned nasty? Right. Do you want to know what I was doing yesterday? FOR THE TENTH f***ing TIME: I was chanting, not throwing shit, not abusing police officers, i came on and made a mistake in posting angrily since i'd not calmed down but then when I had i was able to speak from a slightly more objective stance.

However the reason I think that if your quote is to be read as it was, you believe all students were being violent at Millbank from the march. You, one of the people that we trust to teach and and advise us and who have the second biggest, if not the biggest power to shape the youth (as your message below your name suggests) and you believe in all your experience that EVERYONE agreed with ALL of the actions, that everyone was involved and therefore I do not believe that you should be in teaching if that is your stance since you clearly cannot comprehend the difference between 2/300 and 1000 or even more worryingly 2/300 and 50,000.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
So basically your calling me a liar about my envolvement in what started as a peaceful protest outside Millbank that then turned nasty? Right. Do you want to know what I was doing yesterday? FOR THE TENTH f***ing TIME: I was chanting, not throwing shit, not abusing police officers, i came on and made a mistake in posting angrily since i'd not calmed down but then when I had i was able to speak from a slightly more objective stance.

However the reason I think that if your quote is to be read as it was, you believe all students were being violent at Millbank from the march. You, one of the people that we trust to teach and and advise us and who have the second biggest, if not the biggest power to shape the youth (as your message below your name suggests) and you believe in all your experience that EVERYONE agreed with ALL of the actions, that everyone was involved and therefore I do not believe that you should be in teaching if that is your stance since you clearly cannot comprehend the difference between 2/300 and 1000 or even more worryingly 2/300 and 50,000.

If you understood sarcasm you would not be digging this hole. I was "told" to argue like an adult so I put a sarcastic reply (on a thread about students demonstrating - ie arguing) about how I would prefer to argue like a student. You came off with a facetious remark about me "not deserving to be in teaching" so I thought I would throw something equally facetious and rude back to you. Did you not get the mirror comment at the end of my comment?

Perhaps you should concentrate more on your studies than your protesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here