Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much wil Gus have to spend in the summer??

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
It's worth noting that virtually all the corporate boxes and packages have sold out. They have sold out for a reason and it isn't the prospect of languishing in L1 for another season. Corporate sponsors have clearly been drip fed enough info to make them stump up for their dollar.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I only hope that they don't go mad: even with the might of Tony Bloom behind us, we should be spending and paying within a break even budget. I want this club solvent for Falmer and way way beyond please.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I would imagine the only people to know would be TB and GP

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This Arismeldi lad must be on at least £20k a week at Stoke. I'm guessing that we will pay at least 50% of that weekly wage, which over say 15 weeks is about £150k. So it would seem that Bloom is opening the purse strings.

:laugh: oh dear - no chance. Stoke prob paying all his wages and on a 4 yr deal i cant see him being on 20k...

IMO you couldn't be further wrong

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Heard from 2 different sources it was up to £40 million :eek:

Another well placed source said it was in the £5-10 million area.

I think the £40 mill is too far fetched to be believable but the sources were both well placed and saying the same thing.

The second one is more likely and given Bloom has already invested up to £100 million already not beyond the realms of possiblilty and would certainly guarantee some top quality signings to get us in the Championship.

No-one really knows but it is clear that with loan signings like Arismendi, Bloom & Poyet's intentions are clear and a significant transfer fund will be available in the summer, of that I have no doubt at all.

40 million? is that all......Bloom out!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Read a couple of times on here that Stoke are paying most of his wages - we're probably picking up some small proportion of his costs - Stoke benefit because the lad is playing and learning from Gus. (Given that it's an 'emergency loan' a transfer could even already be a done deal, but that's another story.)

Average Prem wages are below. Stoke will be paying less than the average I would guess, so he is likely to be on £300k or roughly £6k/week.

Average Prem Wages:
17-18: £24,500
19-20: £95,000
21-22: £390,000
23-24: £582,500
25-26: £653,000
27-28: £899,500
29-30: £806,000
31-32: £586,000
33+: 660,500

(Correction: these are 2007 figures - so will have gone up, but probably slipped back since last year, so a decent guide. Wages increased 65% between 2000 and 2010)

Last edited by a moderator:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It's worth noting that virtually all the corporate boxes and packages have sold out. They have sold out for a reason and it isn't the prospect of languishing in L1 for another season. Corporate sponsors have clearly been drip fed enough info to make them stump up for their dollar.

I don't think so somehow. Perhaps it is because having supported us whilst at withdean and some Gillingham they want to back us into our new ground, not purely because "Corporate sponsors have clearly been drip fed enough info to make them stump up for their dollar"

But of course I may be wrong as it sounds like you have more connections than the back of my television.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The figure of 4 million has been banded around for sometime. This is a perfectly reasonable sum to achieve promotion and most probably that figure again to become above average side in the Championship. A further 8 million to challenge at the top. So imo 16 million + wages would give us a chance to get promotion to the prima donna's league

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Just also to add money means nothing, money could potentially disrupt teams morale, classic case in point QPR.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The figure of 4 million has been banded around for sometime. This is a perfectly reasonable sum to achieve promotion and most probably that figure again to become above average side in the Championship. A further 8 million to challenge at the top. So imo 16 million + wages would give us a chance to get promotion to the prima donna's league

Are these one-off transfers fees or annual increases in the playing budget?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Are these one-off transfers fees or annual increases in the playing budget?

I would say they are transfers plus signing on fees. High transfer fees maybe a thing of the past regarding the lower leagues but that's being replaced by high signing on fees. This obviously means the player benefits more than his previous club but does act as an incentive to the player to transfer. This obviously appeals to good players nearing the end of their careers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What does £4m mean? £4m on headline club-to-club transfer fees?

What about signing-on fees, agent fees, wages? Do they come for free?

It really is stupid to get hung up on headline transfer fees - it doesn't come close to telling the full story.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think talk of budgets right now are premature, i dont believe you'd set them yet. further, i dont think Bloom intends to lavishly spank his money on the playing side, he will expect a fair degree of self sufficency and top up a few 100k for special purchases, extending that if/when we get to the championship.

really the question is, how much do you need to spend to get up with near certainty? answer is, depends on the other clubs, and whats available in the summer etc. could be 2m, could be 5m. What have Leeds, Norwich and the other top 6 spent, take an figure based on the average of that as a minimum.

i base this on nothing more than the fact that he has quietly amassed a small fortune so is a savvy businessman. the stadium funding was immediatly necessary but we can biuld the rest of the club more gradually and once at falmer the budget situation will be substatnially improved anyway.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If we're looking to spend big and look to simply improve the squad we have, then i'd predict two free transfers for players on a reasonable wage and three signings for around £200k each at the most. We can't attract players all that well with another season at the Withers and no guarantee of promotion, and i doubt we'll spend insanely, so whatever the budget is we won't break the bank or be able to. Bloom wants promotion, but not at all costs. Big steady, clear-thinking centreback. A leftback of note. Defensive midfielder with the slight ability to pass. Nippy striker with a touch. Winger to prevent more loan signings in that mould.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
from my source within,same person who told me about lua lua,the stoke guy is on roughly 8 grand a week,bloom will open his purse strings,but that doesnt gaurantee promotion does it!!!.Calm down and lets just look forward to finishing this season on a high,next season will be mind blowing(his words not mine):thumbsup:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Judging by the results of last summers clear out,clearly we are still only just good enough with key loan signings,therefore the investment will need to be larger than we have been used to,just to stay up !We are a team away from being a mid table championship team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that the actual will or should be divulged as all it will do is make other clubs put an increased price on players.

I would sooner that we focused on wages and picked up players who are going to be out of contract rather than pay inflated prices for average players because we are assumed to be well off, well our chairman is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here