Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much of the problem is down to Tony Bloom?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mick McCarthey but he wont come here , no decent manager will touch this club with a bargepole and who can blame them

I have to agree, if Hyypia was the best we could entice, there can't have been a wealth of quality applicants. I imagine there was interest but when the constraints were explained they probably lost interest. Having two quality managers who wanted to leave and couldn't be enticed to stay doesn't make it sound like a job that would appeal to a top manager.

As for DK and TB working together? Non starter once TB took over. Two control freaks I reckon, they would and obviously did clash.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Either I'm confused or you are.
So, after reading all that waffle you say Sammi should get on Stat Brothers bike and ride off into the sunset which I agree with:)

Must be you then. If you read my post I'm referring to other posters, Mike Small who originally seemed to imply that he doesn't have a season ticket because of SH (I could be wrong) but if he didn't renew then that decision was long before we even got to the play-offs last season. Kevtherev bangs on about us being turned down because of the DoF role but provides no evidence to support this.

As for Acker, I generally agreeing with the tone of his post in that TB is doing all right and you can expect some decisions not to be as successful as others. The club is in far better shape for his involvement than it would be without him. Would people rather have someone like Cellino?

As for SH, he is the type of manager that we employ, young an inexperienced. It paid off to a certain extent with Poyet and Garcia but not with SH. Hence I agree with a lot of people that now is the time to go. However, i don't expect the club to change it's position about washing the dirty linen in public (and wouldn't want them to).

Before you start I fully realise the amount of money he has and is putting into the Albion. I also like the fact we have a fan in charge of our club and not a foreign owner. However there are some things I feel we have to question.
1. Firstly the appointment of SH. He has no experience of managing in the championship or England and his record, albeit at a big German club, was poor. He almost got them relegated. Similarly we waited ages to appoint him. I can only hope that the reality was that he was 5th choice or something. The problem lies in the fact that that he wants to employ a yes man who will do what he, Burke and Barber tell him. What do they really know about managing a team? Appoint someone who is Premier League or as our ghastly club phrase says, 'Premier League Ready'.
2. Why state we have a play off potential squad? I appreciate the optimism but if your so sure why are our results so bad.
3. Why give such a full on backing to SH recently in the press and at the Seagulls Over London event? You are shooting yourself in the foot. 3 nervy wins against teams who have since sacked their managers (says it all really) does not constitute hope and to say you have been encouraged by the displays was remarkable. We've got some good players so they will do some okay things in games but we NEVER WIN and don't look like doing it enough times to get 40 points, let alone 50. I really fear he will be very stubborn or loyal AND stick with SH until it is too late.
4. This seasons is a carbon copy of Adams take 2 with all these loanees won't in reality don't care about us going down. We are panic signing anyone. It's also just like the 91-92 when we sold our striker (Mike Small) in the summer after making the play offs but went down.
5. All the blame has gone to Poyet for leaving but I'm critical of the club for not massaging his ego more. Use him like he used us perhaps. I'm not his biggest fan but he was and is a great manager who would have got us up if we could have kept things harmonious. Not piss him off but stating how we would have no money soon, hence him wanting to leave before the end of the season. Bloom and PR Barber couldn't manage him. I realise this is a tad critical but it's always been easy to point the finger at Poyet and not at our management.
6. The appointment of Burke and Barber? We were doing pretty well until then weren't we and they seem completely removed from any criticism. Although outwardly I realise he can't do this, I hope inwardly he is questioning things instead of blind faith.
I know the points above won't be to everyone's taste but I feel his biggest responsibility comes NOW. If he sticks with SH for anymore time, we will go down. I just hope he is not too stubborn or loyal to appoint a new management team before we slide into League 1 while training at the best training ground in the country.

I thought Bloom's first big footballing decision sacking McGhee showed he didnt have much judgment about football, so have been wary of him ever since because of that. Fair play Poyet was a blinder but the old doubts have set in ever since he went down the road of getting rid of him and giving us these pointless wasted years

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No he wasn't, he had a wealth of experience and did a fantastic job. He was exactly the right person for Bloom to discuss things with, rather than relying on the advice from Poyet, Burke and Bloom.

Didn't we get relegated twice from this division under DK?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I thought Bloom's first big footballing decision sacking McGhee showed he didnt have much judgment about football, so have been wary of him ever since because of that. Fair play Poyet was a blinder but the old doubts have set in ever since he went down the road of getting rid of him and giving us these pointless wasted years

Come off it LI, I can't believe you're still playing the Mark Mcghee card 8 years later!! Have you ever loved anyone as much as you love Mark McGhee?!?!?! :lolol:

Bloom has made money out of football as a bookie and a gambler, he's more qualified than most that have never played the game.

Come off it LI, I can't believe you're still playing the Mark Mcghee card 8 years later!! Have you ever loved anyone as much as you love Mark McGhee?!?!?! :lolol:

Bloom has made money out of football as a bookie and a gambler, he's more qualified than most that have never played the game.

Sorry but I still thought he was treated appallingly by Bloom given what he acheived. If Dick Knight had been given a free hand, he wouldn't have been sacked.

I actually read an interview with Bloom when he named his three favourite Albion experiences and one of them was the play off final that McGhee won for us by outsmarting a much better team, I did have a chuckle! Think another one was a Poyet game - so he actually sacked two managers who gave him his best experiences in football. That's quite some going for a supposed football genius!

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Lets face it, whatever Bloom is being told he can see the league table for himself, and it is a shambles.
We will always be forever grateful for the stadium but that doesn't mean he is God and can never make a mistake.
Either get rid of the total dross in charge of team matters and recruitment, or suffer the consequences

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Must be you then. If you read my post I'm referring to other posters, Mike Small who originally seemed to imply that he doesn't have a season ticket because of SH (I could be wrong) but if he didn't renew then that decision was long before we even got to the play-offs last season. Kevtherev bangs on about us being turned down because of the DoF role but provides no evidence to support this.

As for Acker, I generally agreeing with the tone of his post in that TB is doing all right and you can expect some decisions not to be as successful as others. The club is in far better shape for his involvement than it would be without him. Would people rather have someone like Cellino?

As for SH, he is the type of manager that we employ, young an inexperienced. It paid off to a certain extent with Poyet and Garcia but not with SH. Hence I agree with a lot of people that now is the time to go. However, i don't expect the club to change it's position about washing the dirty linen in public (and wouldn't want them to).

Get to the point Sami's OUT then

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Its clear there have been some strange decisions and events during Bloom's tenure as chairman and of course its easy to be wise after the event. However the main thing we know about Tony Bloom is that we don't know much about him.

Given the money spent on the club over the last 5 years we are clearly massively under achieving currently. But as we don't know how successful generally Tony is at running businesses (because we largely don't know what businesses he runs) it is hard to say if the current problems are likely to be down to his poor leadership.

And before anyone posts he must be a successful businessman because he is a zillionaire, we don't know that either. All facts welcomed though.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Its clear there have been some strange decisions and events during Bloom's tenure as chairman and of course its easy to be wise after the event. However the main thing we know about Tony Bloom is that we don't know much about him.

Given the money spent on the club over the last 5 years we are clearly massively under achieving currently. But as we don't know how successful generally Tony is at running businesses (because we largely don't know what businesses he runs) it is hard to say if the current problems are likely to be down to his poor leadership.

And before anyone posts he must be a successful businessman because he is a zillionaire, we don't know that either. All facts welcomed though.

He's definitely got more money than me----FACT

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have to agree, if Hyypia was the best we could entice, there can't have been a wealth of quality applicants. I imagine there was interest but when the constraints were explained they probably lost interest. Having two quality managers who wanted to leave and couldn't be enticed to stay doesn't make it sound like a job that would appeal to a top manager.

its easy to be so critical of Hyypia in hindsight, but in June a manager from Bundesliga with champions league experience probably looked like a quality applicant. certainly a better CV on surface than the last two, or for that matter any other recent manager. and "two quality managers"... we can let that pass on Poyet but Garcia has proven to have some issues.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally, I believe that a director of football, who - along with the chairman and board - sets the coaching agenda and directs the scouting network, is a good system in that it guarantees continuity if/when a head coach/manager leaves. The traditional system, in which everyone from assistant manager to tea lady follows a manager to another club, is ridiculous and creates unnecessary upheaval.
Since TB took over and appointed Gus, we've been known for passing football, and it's reasonable to suppose that that's what TB and the board want and that David Burke and the scouting department buy into the same beliefs. All our teams at every level will therefore play the same way, and our scouting and recruitment is aimed at finding players who fit the template. It's also logical that TB, PB and DB would only appoint a manager/head coach who thinks the same way.
Don't personally agree with your views about having a director of football, but that is by-the-by.

If the point of having a DoF is continuity when the manager changes, why appoint a manager who appears to have a very different mind-set to both Poyet an OG, and who brings in a very different system, one that the players seem to have struggled with right from the off?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes, that's exactly what I meant when I pointed out that it isn't a fact Bloom wants a yes man, 50 points isn't always necessary, and that we continued to achieve on field success after Burke and Barber joined us.

And then they were given more power and more control and it's all gone spectacularly tits up.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
And then they were given more power and more control and it's all gone spectacularly tits up.
I think as soon as Bloom goes the better. What has he ever done for us! We were much happier back in the late 1990s. He's ruined all of that!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think as soon as Bloom goes the better. What has he ever done for us! We were much happier back in the late 1990s. He's ruined all of that!

As far as missing the point goes you are either spectacularly inept or a very good WUM.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
its easy to be so critical of Hyypia in hindsight, but in June a manager from Bundesliga with champions league experience probably looked like a quality applicant. certainly a better CV on surface than the last two, or for that matter any other recent manager. and "two quality managers"... we can let that pass on Poyet but Garcia has proven to have some issues.

A man who has never previously passed an interview (we can see why!?) who failed to get out of his only monster losing run (1 in 14) having less than a year employed solo should never have made a long list never mind a short list for a £1m a year job at the 14th highest attended club in England.
It is an important, highly paid role, no other industry the World would appoint someone with less than 10 years experience into a senior managerial role, never mind a rank learner

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
For me, he's failed to recognise that David Burke has overseen a consistent and severe dip in squad quality and it's possible this stubborn backing is down to wanting to prove Gus wrong. Both Burke and Hyppia are totally out of their depth. Coppell and McDermott remain the obvious solution.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
For me, he's failed to recognise that David Burke has overseen a consistent and severe dip in squad quality and it's possible this stubborn backing is down to wanting to prove Gus wrong. Both Burke and Hyppia are totally out of their depth. Coppell and McDermott remain the obvious solution.
But for all we know Burke may have done fantastically well considering the restraints he is under.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here