Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much of the problem is down to Tony Bloom?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I didn't renew my season ticket this year that's what I did about it. I never said sack him you moron. I appreciate the money he has poured in. I merely fear he is set in his ways/loyal/stubborn and things he does need to change before we sleep walk into league 1.

So you accept that he's not going anywhere and you've cancelled your ST, are just on here bleeting a load of bollocks to make yourself feel better?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last season birmingham finished on 44 points and stayed up. Based on our current (last seven games) run of form, we're on target for 46 points - which would have been enough to stay up for three of the last four seasons.

Shocking complacency.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
NSC: Redefining 'fact' since 1997*

They didn't, Bloom said in his opinion we have one a squad who could challenge for one. You are free to disagree, but just because our results are poor it doesn't mean the players we have are incapable of challenging for the play offs.

-What do you expect? If he comes out and threatens to fire Hyypia if results don't pick up it adds pressure and stress to situations for everyone, and if there are extenuating circumstances to the results it stops him giving one more game, if he feels it is deserved.
-Three wins... we never win... which is it?
-Last season birmingham finished on 44 points and stayed up. Based on our current (last seven games) run of form, we're on target for 46 points - which would have been enough to stay up for three of the last four seasons.

We did quite well after they joined, as well. Consecutive play off finishes, highest finish in how many years?

*or whenever
And that's it, is it? Birmingham survived on forty-four points last season so if we carry on as we are, we might make forty-six. Wow, that's a great target to go for! Is that the height of our ambitions? It shouldn't be a case of threatening to fire Hyypia. Tony Bloom needs to accept that he got the appointment totally wrong and get someone else in now. That way, he might avoid not just relegation but several thousand season ticket holders, which, in the current world where money is the king, is probably mire important!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's not my view. That's why we have a DoF, as Bloom is part time.

You need someone between CEO & Manager. What happens if CEO vetos a decision, manager gets upset a money man is involved in football matters and relationship breaks down.
You said a lot of top managers, but the only recent interview backing that up is Tony Pulis...

You clearly don't listen to a lot of interviews. Its all people have been talking about for weeks (mainly Spurs related), that the dof is a disaster waiting to happen and doesn't work....p,s I know Spurs have just gone 2-1 up lol

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm going to kill a hedgehog the next time i hear someone say we're sleepwalking into League 1. Quick TB, fire everyone. Only then will you be seen as cognizant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. Tony Bloom will give 100% support to Hypia and Jones up to a point, only Tony knows where that point is but I will be willing to think that the Wolves game will be the turning point if we have not got 5-7 points out of Derby,Millwall and Wolves. Sami may even walk of his own accord before that happens but I would be pretty sure things will change one way or another by the 22nd Dec.

Wigan play Rotherham on 20th December. No matter how crap both sides play, any points awarded are going to be to the Albion's detriment. That's the kind of twilight zone we're into now, where stuff just keeps on going against you. Even Blackpool are starting to pick up the odd point.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
So you accept that he's not going anywhere and you've cancelled your ST, are just on here bleeting a load of bollocks to make yourself feel better?

I didn't cancel my ST based on SH although I was underwhelmed by his appointment. Lots of people would disagree with you that I'm 'bleeting a load of bollocks, (how does one do that anyway?). I assume you're on here to make yourself feel better too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Tony Bloom is the man at the top. The buck stops with him. Therefore it's all down to him.

But what exactly is the problem? The system or the individuals?

If you believe that the system and chain of command is right, then it's the individuals. Personally, I believe that a director of football, who - along with the chairman and board - sets the coaching agenda and directs the scouting network, is a good system in that it guarantees continuity if/when a head coach/manager leaves. The traditional system, in which everyone from assistant manager to tea lady follows a manager to another club, is ridiculous and creates unnecessary upheaval. When people like Harry Redknapp say they would never work with a DoF but others such as Steve Coppell and Brian McDermott are happy to, then I draw my own conclusions.

Since TB took over and appointed Gus, we've been known for passing football, and it's reasonable to suppose that that's what TB and the board want and that David Burke and the scouting department buy into the same beliefs. All our teams at every level will therefore play the same way, and our scouting and recruitment is aimed at finding players who fit the template. It's also logical that TB, PB and DB would only appoint a manager/head coach who thinks the same way.

Discounting injuries, the fact that we're not challenging for the top six must either be down to the individuals or to a breakdown in the system. And I think you've only got to look at the back of the programme to see where things are wrong - our unwieldy, loan-packed squad.

If we're signing the right players, then it's a worry that the manager doesn't seem to rate some of them enough to play them: Toko, Holla, O'Grady, McCourt, Teixeira, Monakana.

If we're signing the wrong players ....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Tony Bloom is the man at the top. The buck stops with him. Therefore it's all down to him.

But what exactly is the problem? The system or the individuals?

If you believe that the system and chain of command is right, then it's the individuals. Personally, I believe that a director of football, who - along with the chairman and board - sets the coaching agenda and directs the scouting network, is a good system in that it guarantees continuity if/when a head coach/manager leaves. The traditional system, in which everyone from assistant manager to tea lady follows a manager to another club, is ridiculous and creates unnecessary upheaval. When people like Harry Redknapp say they would never work with a DoF but others such as Steve Coppell and Brian McDermott are happy to, then I draw my own conclusions.

Since TB took over and appointed Gus, we've been known for passing football, and it's reasonable to suppose that that's what TB and the board want and that David Burke and the scouting department buy into the same beliefs. All our teams at every level will therefore play the same way, and our scouting and recruitment is aimed at finding players who fit the template. It's also logical that TB, PB and DB would only appoint a manager/head coach who thinks the same way.

Discounting injuries, the fact that we're not challenging for the top six must either be down to the individuals or to a breakdown in the system. And I think you've only got to look at the back of the programme to see where things are wrong - our unwieldy, loan-packed squad.

If we're signing the right players, then it's a worry that the manager doesn't seem to rate some of them enough to play them: Toko, Holla, O'Grady, McCourt, Teixeira, Monakana.

If we're signing the wrong players ....

Too sensible for NSC I'm afraid

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Shocking complacency.
And that's it, is it? Birmingham survived on forty-four points last season so if we carry on as we are, we might make forty-six. Wow, that's a great target to go for! Is that the height of our ambitions? It shouldn't be a case of threatening to fire Hyypia. Tony Bloom needs to accept that he got the appointment totally wrong and get someone else in now. That way, he might avoid not just relegation but several thousand season ticket holders, which, in the current world where money is the king, is probably mire important!

Yes, that's exactly what I meant when I pointed out that it isn't a fact Bloom wants a yes man, 50 points isn't always necessary, and that we continued to achieve on field success after Burke and Barber joined us.
It's not a grammar debate, it's about the facts that make up the basis of your argument. When they are wrong, your argument is flawed.

I didn't say 44 points would make me happy, I merely pointed out we might not need 50 points as 44 has been enough in the past.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
For what it's worth, I wonder what the rest of the football world thinks about our situation, looking from the outside in as it were?

I can imagine there is a fair amount of incredulity...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I didn't cancel my ST based on SH although I was underwhelmed by his appointment. Lots of people would disagree with you that I'm 'bleeting a load of bollocks, (how does one do that anyway?). I assume you're on here to make yourself feel better too.

I wasn't talking about Hyppia, I was talking about Bloom not going anywhere. You've just written a massive rant about Tony Bloom getting things wrong.

I'm saying that Tony Bloom isn't going to get every decision right, as a football chairman it inevitable that he's going to make a crap appointment at some point - all of them do. He's done well with two out of three so far.

I agree that if he doesn't sack Hyppia soon we'll probably go down. That doesn't give anyone the right to dig Bloom out like you have though. Until someone else wants to make enough money to keep the club running all we can do is trust Tony to run the club how he wants and hope he gets more right than he gets wrong.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The solution is clear. We're simply going to have to buy Bloom out, and have NSC run the damn club.
There's no other way to ensure the job is done correctly.

I pledge £10.
Who's with me?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For what it's worth, I wonder what the rest of the football world thinks about our situation, looking from the outside in as it were?

I can imagine there is a fair amount of incredulity...

Those arrogant Brighton fans are getting their come uppance and going back to where their poxy little club belongs, is what I would imagine most other Championship club's fans think. We have been very mouthy since we moved into the Amex.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I suspect that the club is now caught between a rock and a hard place. Sacking Hyypia, Jones, Burke et al will cost money as will replacements and probably ruin the FFP equation for the season. Getting relegated is an even worse financial scenario. Only choice is to soldier on in the hope that somehow things will start to improve and relegation will be avoided. We're doomed!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I suspect that the club is now caught between a rock and a hard place. Sacking Hyypia, Jones, Burke et al will cost money as will replacements and probably ruin the FFP equation for the season. Getting relegated is an even worse financial scenario. Only choice is to soldier on in the hope that somehow things will start to improve and relegation will be avoided. We're doomed!!

I imagine the unspent transfer money would go a long way to keeping us FFP compliant should TB decide to bite the bullet and sack Hyypia and Jones.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

With SH and NJ in the management hot seats until the end of the season do you honestly think we'll get 44 points ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here