Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much of the problem is down to Tony Bloom?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A massive defeat v Derby (and I can see this happening) may force TB's hand at last.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
We were the inform team, Palace were on a downward spiral (didn't they win the last game of the season to keep them in the play-offs after something like 7 games without winning?). We should have gone for the win in the first leg, it didn't look like we did and were happy with a draw, then expecting to beat them at home. With all the sh!t going around on the day of the game, literally, including clackers, Poyet's demeanour etc. it's no wonder we lost.

I don't think it is inevitable that we will lose to Derby, purely as our away form is better than home but I think Hyppia will get the sack afterwards and a new manager appointed with the hope that we get the sunshine period of a new manager and pick up a few points. Little point in bringing a new manager in before a game against Derby, do it against Millwall to try and increase our chances of a win. There is also nearly a week between games and the Millwall game is at home, so the new manager will be introduced to the crowd. Only a win against Derby will save him imho.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Only a win against Derby will save him imho.

I'm not so sure......... The club at the moment has a whiff of the Titanic about it.

Such a grand dream and TB's huge investment has been hampered by bad recruitment decisions and incompentent crew and now it really has hit the iceberg, nobody seems willing yet to accept the unthinkable.

Surely my grand ship couldn't sink could it?, the Captain hasn't got a clue how to navigate, he doesn't have a clue how to get out the position he find himself in, quite literally out of his depth. The Burke, Barber and Bloom trio keep on playing their instruments with a big smile and telling everyone "stay calm, carry on as normal we're not going to sink", in denial as the ship sinks lower and lower.

If TB doesnt accept the reality quickly, remove his captain, stop the band and plug the hole quickly his very grand ship will sink.

How we got here doesn't matter any more, we are where we are, its what TB does about it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm not so sure......... The club at the moment has a whiff of the Titanic about it.

Such a grand dream and TB's huge investment has been hampered by bad recruitment decisions and incompentent crew and now it really has hit the iceberg, nobody seems willing yet to accept the unthinkable.

Surely my grand ship couldn't sink could it?, the Captain hasn't got a clue how to navigate, he doesn't have a clue how to get out the position he find himself in, quite literally out of his depth. The Burke, Barber and Bloom trio keep on playing their instruments with a big smile and telling everyone "stay calm, carry on as normal we're not going to sink", in denial as the ship sinks lower and lower.

If TB doesnt accept the reality quickly, remove his captain, stop the band and plug the hole quickly his very grand ship will sink.

How we got here doesn't matter any more, we are where we are, its what TB does about it.

Well put

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were the inform team, Palace were on a downward spiral (didn't they win the last game of the season to keep them in the play-offs after something like 7 games without winning?). We should have gone for the win in the first leg, it didn't look like we did and were happy with a draw, then expecting to beat them at home. With all the sh!t going around on the day of the game, literally, including clackers, Poyet's demeanour etc. it's no wonder we lost.

I don't think it is inevitable that we will lose to Derby, purely as our away form is better than home but I think Hyppia will get the sack afterwards and a new manager appointed with the hope that we get the sunshine period of a new manager and pick up a few points. Little point in bringing a new manager in before a game against Derby, do it against Millwall to try and increase our chances of a win. There is also nearly a week between games and the Millwall game is at home, so the new manager will be introduced to the crowd. Only a win against Derby will save him imho.
Playoffs rarely go to form. We had no right to beat Swindon or Bristol City in 2004, Watford lost to Palace last year & Derby lost to QPR in May.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
As the 95%-ish owner and Chairman, the answer to the OP's question is: entirely. Stuff happens, of course; but it's ultimately down to TB to replace the senior managers if he thinks they are failing, or to put pressure on those managers to deal with their staff if he feels the problem lies lower in the club. Despite his public pronouncements of support, he's got to be seriously concerned at our league position, Shirley? That points to a plan B concerning Sami or David B; or both.

Personally, I'd get shot of Sami after the Derby game and look to replace David after the Jan transfer window closes.

I really cannot see the benefit of letting him have another window after the last 18 months, we want to strengthen the squad, not lose money on expensive loans who can just walk away in May.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I really cannot see the benefit of letting him have another window after the last 18 months, we want to strengthen the squad, not lose money on expensive loans who can just walk away in May.

Yep, I see that. The reason I said after the window, rather than before is only because the window opens in only 3-4 weeks. I assume that preliminary negotiations are underway and a change at the top of our recruitment team might introduce delay/uncertainty in the other party/ies. I do accept there's a strong argument for moving now though.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
There is no 'allegedly' about it!
Due to Barber sacking Ramos and Poyet at Spurs Gus was not happy at Barbers appointment but said he would give it six months - this a a fact as told directly to me by Charlie Oatway! Barbers subsequent cost-cutting measures then just exacerbated not only the rift with Barber but ensured there was then a rift with Bloom and the club generally!
Even though we were in the play-off semis, had drawn with the scum at Selhurst who were there for the taking down here (after beating them convincingly at the Amex a few weeks before!) I am convinced that Poyet knew he wouldn't be our manager the next season and had fallen out with Bloom so badly that he deliberately didn't play to win in that last game against Palace and that is what lies behind his sacking!!

I agree with this, it's always been my opinion that Gus blew our opportunity of promotion in malice. And I personally hold loyalty the top quality any relationship. I don't care if he was the Sir Alex incarnate he will always be poo to me.
It takes quite a lot to upset me, but guys that knock TB after all he has done for this club pizz me off. That he has had the dignity to keep schtum about the Poyet affair IMO help raise his esteem.
As a choice of for the moment not doing very well at The Amex with TB, Sami and a state of the art Training Facility, against being in the Premier at Withdean, Dick Tight and Me Me Poyet in charge overseeing the attendances of 8,000 I think I'd choose the former.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here