Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How many seats will the Tories get ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
hopefully a decent amount, large majority's are not a good thing regardless of whos in.

And no im not voting Blue

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Suppose Labour did get 450 seats and the Tories fewer than 100 - where do all the Labour Party MPs sit in the Commons. Do they take up space on the other side?
This is a really good question. I really hope they sit on each others laps on one side and then on the other they have room for sun beds etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
hopefully a decent amount, large majority's are not a good thing regardless of whos in.

And no im not voting Blue
I’m hoping it’s very low. I get what you say about large majorities but the Tory party, for their own and everyone else’s benefit, really do need to reassess who and what they are and what they stand for…..being annihilated in this election will help this along.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m going for 100.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
The Tory party, for their own and everyone else’s benefit, really do need to reassess who and what they are and what they stand for…..being annihilated in this election will help this along.
I agree with you there. It's hard to imagine turning around a near 400 majority even though few would have predicted what is happening today back in December, 2019. I hope after licking its wounds the party starts putting forward more conservative ideas. First and foremost, because over the coming years it will be such an important issue, a pledge to scrap the insane net zero promises which the Tories have sung along to. The damage the mad green policies will do could well be irreparable. But I think by 2029 a policy of "whatever it takes to keep the lights on, keep our homes heated and keep industry powered" will be a winner.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'll go 111
Would the speaker then have to spend the next four years hopping like David Shepherd used to at the cricket?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How many seats will the Tories get?

With the benefit of an impartial outsider looking in, nothing other than electoral obliteration is on the cards.

After the Truss/Kwarteng mini-budget, the Conservatives are no longer seen as the party of fiscal responsibility by the electorate.

Consistent scandals during the administration such as PPE contracts and Partygate undermined credibility with voters.

By betting the house (majority) on populist policies like 'Stop The Boats' and moving further right, they've conceded the centre.

Like any bell curve, this is where the majority of voters reside with moderate positions such as lower taxes, but good public services.

As nature abhors a vacuum, Starmer reinvents Labour post-Corbyn and moves to take the centre ground voters.

A war on 3 fronts with first time and swing voters to Labour, Lib Dems taking local issue seats and Reform dividing from the right.

So how many?

Based on the psychodrama of the last 5 years, 'at least one more than they deserve to get' is my pithy but truthful answer.

The electorate should rightly judge the current form of the Conservative Party and they will likely do so severely.

Less than 100 seats and 5 years minimum of political irrelevance await.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
While in many respects this would be amazing, the worry is so few seats for the Tories that we see a Tory/Reform coalition led by Braverman and Farage as their way of resetting to be electable. That's a scenario a moderate Tory councillor spoke with me about as a concern of many in the party if Reform get any kind of traction at the expense of the Tories.

I'd rather, I think, a strong enough Tory party to weaken him than a weak Tory party dependent on him.
They can call themselves CONFORM!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The most seats Labour have won is 418, the least the Tories have had is 156. I think both records will fall today.

I'm going to guess somewhere in the 120-130 range. And hoping Sunak becomes the first sitting PM to lose his seat. Just for the LOLZ.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Christ thats a scary thought haha

A huge labou majority and Lib Dems as opposition, it will be woke madness !
it would be very strange, they'd oppose by saying how Labour policies aren't enough and they should do more.

with a large rebelious backbench, could actually make things quite tricky to manage.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
it would be very strange, they'd oppose by saying how Labour policies aren't enough and they should do more.

with a large rebelious backbench, could actually make things quite tricky to manage.

With LD as the Official opposition though, a move to the left by Labour would be easier to do than it would be with raving right wingers having the opposition time.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
With LD as the Official opposition though, a move to the left by Labour would be easier to do than it would be with raving right wingers having the opposition time.
I'd seen an analysis that suggested that the LD were already left of Labour since Labour have moved towards the center.

This is a realignment of British politics we are seeing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here