Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long is your working day?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
7.30am to 3.30pm or 2pm till 10pm are my 'normal' shifts, as well as the occasional 8am - 8pm 12 hour bad boy. I've also worked 24 hours straight a couple of times.

Having said all that, I work in a residential home so a lot of the time I'm sat around with a cup of coffee playing PS3, so I shouldn't really moan.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
8 different shift patterns over 8 weeks then a week off , hours vary nights early lates ect ,lots of weekend work as my boss is a bit of a squeaky :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As a nation, we really do have this work/play balance thing all wrong don't we? Especially short luches stuffing a sandwich in your gob or worse still working through your lunch :(

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As a nation, we really do have this work/play balance thing all wrong don't we? Especially short luches stuffing a sandwich in your gob or worse still working through your lunch :(

We do, when I was in Portugal they had two hour lunch breaks

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I was talking about that the other day with a friend. Possibly a naive and inaccurate view, but our continental cousins seem to savour lunch and treat it as a social occasion, as opposed to the a pit stop.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We do, when I was in Portugal they had two hour lunch breaks

Would that be the same Portugal that is currently up el shitto creak without a paddle because the bloke with the paddle has gone home for lunch?

D

Deleted member 18477

I do 7.30 till 17.10 with 40 mins lunch break x 4 days a week.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I was talking about that the other day with a friend. Possibly a naive and inaccurate view, but our continental cousins seem to savour lunch and treat it as a social occasion, as opposed to the a pit stop.

Exactly. Time spent with family and friends, conversation, enjoying the food and letting it digest. One of my fave things about going on holiday in the med is taking a good 2/3 hours over an evening meal with good company.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Exactly. Time spent with family and friends, conversation, enjoying the food and letting it digest. One of my fave things about going on holiday in the med is taking a good 2/3 hours over an evening meal with good company.

One of the reasons I hated a previous job in Chichester was because the social aspect was zero. The company employed 30 odd people, but only 7 or 8 were permanently based in the office. Lunch was a sandwich at the desk affair, whilst working.

Sure, you could always go and sit in another room and eat sandwiches together, but that is not a vast improvement.

I do think we need to change our whole way of life.

In Europe, I think we score very badly when it comes to working patterns, commuting distance and public holidays.

I don't think I ever want to commute far again. 2.5 hours - there and back - over a period of 48 weeks (5 days a week) is a solid 25 WHOLE days travel in one working year.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
leave home 5.50am, work bloody hard all day on building site with no break, home at 6pm. its crap. takes over your life.
thought this was tough, then saw some of the other posts on here, maybe not so bad.............

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Say 2-7 every afternoon. 6 days a week. But never such a thing as a 'set' day as a Swimming teacher as couple times a week do mornings too, couple days am later finishing, couple days do even less ;)

Oh and lunch break? Being self employed it depends if I want to plan one into my day :D

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

0700-1430.30 minute lunch.

I wouldn't even have a lunch if I didn't have too.I HAVE to have one (health and safety gone mad etc). The reason I start so early is so I can get out of work and still enjoy most of the day.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The French have got this spot on (not a lot else mind you). Work for 3 hours, have a 2 hour lunch break, and then work for another 3. And don't even think about working on a weekend.

I got caught in Paris on their equivalent of a bank holiday and I couldn't find a shop open that would sell me a packet of fags or 'cigarettes' as they call them, for love nor money. We need to adopt a similar level of laziness in my book. Only with newsagents open on a bank holiday.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
leave home 5.50am, work bloody hard all day on building site with no break, home at 6pm. its crap. takes over your life.
thought this was tough, then saw some of the other posts on here, maybe not so bad.............

Rather naively, I turned in my office job to become a writer and expected to be able to produce some decent stuff. My work patterns were similar to yours. Coupled with the tiredness of digging and/or lugging round bricks and sand all day.

If you want to become a writer. Do not take up building to pay the bills!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here